Highlights on my Canada/New England cruise on September 8

Rosylo

For Saint John I'd recomend the farmers market, oldest in Canada and very cool. Also any excursion that takes you out on the Bay of Fundy, amazing coastline with the highest fastest tides in the world.

Halifax is a great city (biased) and worth seeing. Many take the 'Harbour hopper', an amphibious vehicle that tours the downtown and hits the harbour for a view from the water. You would book privately at 'Merphys on the water', they are popular so it may be worth booking online ahead of time. They also have sailing ships with drinks and snacks served, they are fun too but I'd recomend the hopper just because of the land history tour. Although the sailing ships tour more coastline.

Peggys Cove is a must IMO, most popular attraction for cruisers. Very cool coastline with big waves (be carefull). It's about a 45 minute drive.

Any questions about Halifax feel free to drop me a line.

I complete agree with Jerel.  I've been on this itinerary twice and what he recommended is exactly what I've done and would recommend myself.  Just before Peggy's Cove, there is a lobster wholesale place that offers lobster for an amazingly low price.  It's just lobster and melted butter, though, and canned soda.  Don't expect anything else, including side dishes.

• 9 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:22 PM, Jerel said:

For Saint John I'd recomend the farmers market, oldest in Canada and very cool. Also any excursion that takes you out on the Bay of Fundy, amazing coastline with the highest fastest tides in the world.

Halifax is a great city (biased) and worth seeing. Many take the 'Harbour hopper', an amphibious vehicle that tours the downtown and hits the harbour for a view from the water. You would book privately at 'Merphys on the water', they are popular so it may be worth booking online ahead of time. They also have sailing ships with drinks and snacks served, they are fun too but I'd recomend the hopper just because of the land history tour. Although the sailing ships tour more coastline.

Peggys Cove is a must IMO, most popular attraction for cruisers. Very cool coastline with big waves (be carefull). It's about a 45 minute drive.

Any questions about Halifax feel free to drop me a line.

What's the best place in Halifax for poutine? And what's the deal with donnair?

11 minutes ago, fmanke said:

We had an awesome pulled pork poutine from a booth asking the waterfront. We just got off the ship and headed to the right. 

3 minutes ago, fmanke said:

Is there a lot of vendors and such right at the cruise terminal in Halifax?

I only remember one that was in a small 8X10 both perhaps a mile down the waterfront down where you can board for harbor tours. 

29 minutes ago, DocLC said:

I only remember one that was in a small 8X10 both perhaps a mile down the waterfront down where you can board for harbor tours. 

Is the meeting area for shore excursions close to where you disembark? Is there one specific meeting place or does it depend on the excursion and/or excursion company?

If it is through the cruise line and at a port where the ship is docked, the meeting place is on the pier. When it's a tender port, the meeting place is onboard the ship. 

I've taken two NE/Canada cruises but have yet to take an excursion through the cruise line. Most ports I rented a car and went on my own. In Bar Harbor, I took a private company into Acadia. 

4 minutes ago, DocLC said:

If it is through the cruise line and at a port where the ship is docked, the meeting place is on the pier. When it's a tender port, the meeting place is onboard the ship. 

I've taken two NE/Canada cruises but have yet to take an excursion through the cruise line. Most ports I rented a car and went on my own. In Bar Harbor, I took a private company into Acadia. 

Thanks. All of the excursions are through RC. I thought it was easier as I really had no idea what I was doing.

4 hours ago, fmanke said:

Not sure who has the best poutine, that may take some research. The Coast is a local publication that may be the authority on that, they tend to rank the best and most popular places to go in Halifax. They should have a top 10 of just about everything.

A Donair is a local favorite, tends to be what people miss the most after moving away. When your hammered and hungry it's the go to feast, not the healthiest thing in the world. Basically it's alot of meat covered in amazing sauce. It might compare to what you would call a gyro, except it's almost impossible to wrap with the amount of meat they give you. Normally you eat most of your meat just to find a wrap at the bottom of the pile, then wrap up your scraps. Don't ask me what kind of meat it is, not sure anyone knows, lol.

I'd atleast try donair sauce, it's very good, any pizza place will offer it with a slice.

6 hours ago, Jerel said:

What excursions did you pick? 

I chose "Halifax Top Ten" Peggy's Cove, The Citadel?, some cemetery with Titanic victims, and 7 other things I can't remember right know. It's like 7hrs or so. I hope that covers it all.