UK domestic cruises given green light

23 hours ago, Mike.s said:

https://www.cruisetradenews.com/domestic-cruises-could-restart-on-17-may-reports-suggest/

The UK has just given the go ahead for UK domestic cruises from 17th May, come on RC, seize the opportunity

Sorry its not going to happen that early! 

Article states that the earliest it can happen is May 17th which is the date boris said he hoped to have things go to plan it could happen, hopefully it does as we need something to look forward to but given our history of messing things up and going backwards im not that optimistic

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

Sorry but more false news and misleading headline which builds up peoples hopes when in reality its not going to happen.

Article states that the earliest it can happen is May 17th which is the date boris said he hoped to have things open, it could happen, hopefully it does because we need something to look forward to

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Sorry its not going to happen that early! 

Article states that the earliest it can happen is May 17th which is the date boris said he hoped to have things go to plan it could happen, hopefully it does as we need something to look forward to but given our history of messing things up and going backwards im not that optimistic

I think they mean that domestic cruising is assigned to that part of the road map out of lockdown ... the part that is currently slated as 17th May...ie if they move the 17th May date out, then everything slated to reopen at that time moves out to a new date.  I take it as a positive that cruising (albeit domestic) has been specified and added to the road map out of lockdown.

6 hours ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/09/travel-news-holiday-abroad-covid-restrictions-spain-portugal/

Scroll through this article (post at 3.47pm most interesting) .... International cruising from UK expected later on this summer... not just domestic cruising.

You have to be a paid subscriber to read this.

Hope they've discussed this with Nicola before releasing it to the press! 

Its ok saying we are going to cruise around the UK but its 4 separate countries with their own governments and their own covid rules.

If Nicola doesnt want it then it wont happen. 

25 minutes ago, Ray said:

Hope they've discussed this with Nicola before releasing it to the press! 

Its ok saying we are going to cruise around the UK but its 4 separate countries with their own governments and their own covid rules.

If Nicola doesnt want it then it wont happen. 

Alas there's but 1 uk government... its a shame the 4 individual states aren't aligned at the moment, as its so confusing. 

Wonder which governing body has control of waters and borders?  Individual states have responsibility for health etc.. but no idea about security, borders, and water‽

7 minutes ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

Alas there's but 1 uk government... its a shame the 4 individual states aren't aligned at the moment, as its so confusing. 

Wonder which governing body has control of waters and borders?  Individual states have responsibility for health etc.. but no idea about security, borders, and water‽

Borders are reserved so it's the UK government in Westminster. Some powers are devolved to the governments in Scotland, NI, Wales however those governments have no say on what goes on outside their country whereas the UK government's reserved powers are UK wide.

7 minutes ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

Going by previous lockdown measures put in place by scottish government cross border movement was banned. 

Even when boris came up to visit nicola tried to stop it 

10 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Borders are reserved so it's the UK government in Westminster. 

Yet nicola was able to quarantine anyone and everyone from anywhere in the world despite uk government saying it was only 33 countries? 

Which is how the Brazilian strain entered Scotland. 

4 offshore workers flying from brazil to Scotland knew they would have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days so they flew to paris as france isnt on englands list from there they flew to london then up to Scotland avoiding the need to quarantine.

6 hours ago, Mike.s said:

P&O have just annouced their UK staycation sailings, passengers need to be fully vaccinated.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24575-further-details-about-p-o-s-uk-coastal-cruises-emerge.html

Had to reread this to see if i had missed something but its not on this link...other reports clearly state these cruises do not dock anywhere,  they are just sailing about the coast of Britain trying to keep warm and dry lol 

16 minutes ago, Ray said:

Had to reread this to see if i had missed something but its not on this link...other reports clearly state these cruises do not dock anywhere,  they are just sailing about the coast of Britain trying to keep warm and dry lol 

Ray, that seems to be the case for most of the lines who have announced they will sail from the UK, it's similar to the cruises in Singapore, cruise to nowhere, without the warm Singapore weather

29 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

Ray, that seems to be the case for most of the lines who have announced they will sail from the UK, it's similar to the cruises in Singapore, cruise to nowhere, without the warm Singapore weather

Guess its better than visiting Greenock lol 

Im looking at flying to Lisbon for a few days there then jump on an MSC ship for a 2 night cruise to Barcelona, then spend a few nights there. 

55 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

It also helps with singing, dancing and golf. (initially)

No its the Haggis that does that!

However under the scottish wildlife act 1982 Sect 4 (5) you cannot catch them during the months of june to august as thats their breeding season. 

Wondering if we will see any cruises to nowhere out of the UK by royal by June?  Or whether they might try and go for normal Med cruising at some point this summer...?  As many EU countries that rely on tourism could be very interested in opening up...Barcelona being a biggy I would of thought. @Ray didn't you mention in one of your recent posts that Barcelona may be open...?

1 hour ago, Ray said:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24607-aidaperla-relaunches-cruise-service-in-the-canaries.html

Report on Aida cruiselines yesterday. This is one of Aida's homeports so they will know the market is there.

Great news.  With every ship sailing it's more proof that protocols work.

9 hours ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

Wondering if we will see any cruises to nowhere out of the UK by royal by June?  Or whether they might try and go for normal Med cruising at some point this summer...?  As many EU countries that rely on tourism could be very interested in opening up...Barcelona being a biggy I would of thought. @Ray didn't you mention in one of your recent posts that Barcelona may be open...?

With Adventure being moved to Nassau, currently the only Royal ship scheduled to sail out of Barcelona this summer is Harmony and she is already on her way over the pond to Cadiz for her 5-year dry dock. Given that she will be in position and that Spain is keen to get tourism up and running again, I would like to think that there is hope that some of her European season can be salvaged, even if it means a modified itinerary. 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

With Adventure being moved to Nassau, currently the only Royal ship scheduled to sail out of Barcelona this summer is Harmony and she is already on her way over the pond to Cadiz for her 5-year dry dock. Given that she will be in position and that Spain is keen to get tourism up and running again, I would like to think that there is hope that some of her European season can be salvaged, even if it means a modified itinerary. 

That will always be the path of least resistance for Royal since there are existing bookings to leverage.  

Stepping into a new homeport with zero bookings on short notice is not an ideal approach for any cruise line.

Both Anthem and Jewel OTS are off the UK south coast atm.  I would like to think they would still sail, and cancel ports where needed (even all ports), and open up the option to passengers with bookings to whether they still want to sail.  I would certainly keep my bookings in June and July, as just want a break from the house, cooking, cleaning, etc...

43 minutes ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

I would certainly keep my bookings in June and July, as just want a break from the house, cooking, cleaning, etc...

My wife is the same....desperate for a break away from the house.

She has actually suggested cancelling our planned cruise from PR next March due to all of the uncertainty in relation to us actually getting on the ship!

Will we be able to fly?

if we can will we have to fly direct or could we go via NYC?

Even if we can fly will the cruise only be open to Puerto Ricans?

And even if it's open to all what will the capacity be? A reduced capacity means we could be bumped off cruise!

And if it is reduced and we don't get on ship when would they let you know as there is so much planning involved.

All of this going through my Wifes head so she just wants a break now ? 

@Ray - I'm self employed and am fortunate to have kept working throughout this pandemic and need to prioritise work and not to be complacent.  My main holiday is in  July with the nieces and is when I am planning to take some time off.  The cruise I have booked in June is more for a change of home office and Royal's Voom will allow me to work with different scenery, no cooking, no cleaning etc... And I get a Spa and hot tubs on tap, which I definitely don't have at home ?... So, not bothered by port stops et al... and no fly from Southampton makes me happy...