Test Cruises

Everyone is waiting for a test cruise announcement to occur and for many, an opportunity to participate.   Do you think the line will randomly select volunteers, or select with consideration to immunity (previously infected)/vaccination status?   Would it really be a valid test cruise if you had a 100% high immunity passengers manifest?  Or do you select a compliment of unvaccinated passengers - really tests robustness of protocols?  Or a random pool of both - blind sample?

(If all the guests and crew are vaccinated, seems you're not really testing potency of protocols.)

I think (guess) that it will be only vaccinated test passengers for shake down cruise. It is my understanding that it is ship procedures and protocols that are being tested not efficacy of keeping guests from actually catching virus. That said, having all guinea pigs vaccinated reduces chance of them getting virus and tarnishing Royals delicate reputation. 

If you're not going to mandate all passenger be fully vaccinated before cruising then I think the safest way to conduct test cruise would be with a mixture of vaccinated and non-vaccinated passengers, of all different age groups.  The reason I say use a mixture is because even though all passengers would at the very least be required to provide proof of a negative COVID test there have been instances (not directly related to the cruise industry) where a person has tested negative for the virus only to test positive 2 or 3 days later. 

If President Biden's new timeline of May 31st being the date where any all adult Americans who want a shot will be able to get the shot I still think test cruises should take place with a mixture because so far none of the vaccines have been approved for children under the age of 16.

I think employees families would be the first target test cruiser.

A family member has a vested interest in ensuring a positive outcome and it doesn't need to ever become public knowledge until it has occurred.

There are way too many bloggers/vloggers/social media influencers in their own mind who would create clickbait headlines without a care in the world what it might do to the cruise line.  They just want their moment in the spotlight or ad revenue and they will lie and exaggerate to get it.  Not all bloggers are like that but the cruise line doesn't need even one of them on a test cruise.  

Start with employees and family.  That also sends a strong message.  This is safe, we even put our own families on the ship to prove it.

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think employees families would be the first target test cruiser.

I can't see too many employee families willing or able to fly half way across the globe for a test cruise.

I would think it'd be high ranking C&As as well as top travel agents and other market VIPs. I think the open registration for test cruises was nothing but a nice PR stunt.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't see too many employee families willing or able to fly half way across the globe for a test cruise.

I would think it'd be high ranking C&As as well as top travel agents and other market VIPs. I think the open registration for test cruises was nothing but a nice PR stunt.

Miami HQ.  

When hurricanes threatened South Florida in recent years they used two ships for employees and their families (and their pets) to get them out of harm's way.  Seems like the perfect crowd to do a test cruise, minus the pets this time.

2 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

At this point I would guess the test cruises get skipped and they go straight to 100% vaccinated passengers.

They have to conduct test cruises as long as Conditional Sail Order is in place in order to satisfy the CDC requirements. 

Unless you’re saying there just won’t be test cruises with volunteers (non employees). 

So it seems the CDC is once again up to old tricks.  The technical details coming "any day now" has turned into "any week now" and soon will be "any month now".

There is a part of me that thinks the test cruise requirement or much of the CSO could be modified once the CDC has dragged this out long enough to the point where no protocols are truly needed.  They could introduce "CSO Light" or "CSO 2.0" with greatly modified protocol requirements now that we see them admitting masks aren't required if everyone in a group is vaccinated.

52 minutes ago, twangster said:

So it seems the CDC is once again up to old tricks.  The technical details coming "any day now" has turned into "any week now" and soon will be "any month now".

There is a part of me that thinks the test cruise requirement or much of the CSO could be modified once the CDC has dragged this out long enough to the point where no protocols are truly needed.  They could introduce "CSO Light" or "CSO 2.0" with greatly modified protocol requirements now that we see them admitting masks aren't required if everyone in a group is vaccinated.

Not exactly what they said. 

The new CDC guidance says fully vaccinated people can:

* Visit other vaccinated people indoors without masks or physical distancing

* Visit indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household without masks or physical distancing, if the unvaccinated people are at low risk for severe disease.

* Skip quarantine and testing if exposed to someone who has Covid-19 but are asymptomatic, but should monitor for symptoms for 14 days

However, people who are fully vaccinated still need to take precautions in many scenarios. The guidelines say fully vaccinated people must:

* Wear a mask and keep good physical distance around the unvaccinated who are at increased risk for severe Covid-19, or if the unvaccinated person has a household member who is at higher risk

* Wear masks and physically distance when visiting unvaccinated people who are from multiple households.

Let's not get things twisted or misinterpret what is stated in black and white.  No one more than me wants to get back to cruising and as things are improving fast, the only thing that worries me is when crusing resumes that boarding the ship I dont get trampled as I know it's going to feel like the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona. ????

10 hours ago, Matt said:

They have to conduct test cruises as long as Conditional Sail Order is in place in order to satisfy the CDC requirements. 

Unless you’re saying there just won’t be test cruises with volunteers (non employees). 

My expectation is that cruising will not resume until the CDC lifts the order, getting the CDC to set guidelines and then doing all the testing, etc. is not going to happen at this point.

I see the CDC saying "OK since almost everyone has been vaccinated that is willing to be vaccinated and you are requiring 100% vaccination of crew and passengers we really don't have a basis for much of anything, crisis over, do what you want".

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I just posted before reading your post, at this point i dont think it makes any sense for the CDC to finally release the protocols, let the cruiselines, work on complying etc.

If we are at the point by end of May where every american that wants a vaccine can have one whats the point of wasting time just lift the ban and get back to work.

11 hours ago, twangster said:

In my opinion the one recommendation that is standing in the way of the CDC actually working with cruise lines more closely is the fact the CDC still recommends Americans avoid all nonessential travel.  I've chosen not to follow that recommendation I know how to keep myself safe at home and on vacation. 

I think for the sake of appearances and to keep themselves out of the cross hairs of the talking bobble heads on CNN and MSNBC the CDC will continue to slow walk the safe return of cruising as long as that recommendation is in place.  They don't want to be seen talking with cruise lines while still telling every American to stay home and avoid travel.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:28 AM, princevaliantus said:

Not exactly what they said. 

Just copying the headline from your post:

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!! Fully-vaccinated people can gather without masks, CDC says !!! 

Perhaps update your title to reflect your current thinking. Something like:

CDC updates guidance for fully vaccinated !!!