EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!! Fully-vaccinated people can gather without masks, CDC says !!!

GREAT NEWS!!!! IF RCG and other cruise lines mandate COVID vaccinations, we can cruise!!! GIVEN THIS PRE-REQUISITE IF CRUISE LINES DO IT, the CDC can FINALLY do their job and open up those ports!!! I see no reason why CDC would still keep these ports shut!!

--------------------------------

Fully-vaccinated people can gather without masks, CDC says

By MIKE STOBBE27 minutes ago

800.jpeg

NEW YORK (AP) — Fully-vaccinated Americans can gather with other vaccinated people indoors without wearing a mask or social distancing, according to long-awaited guidance from federal health officials.

The recommendations also say that vaccinated people can come together in the same way with people considered at low-risk for severe disease, such as in the case of vaccinated grandparents visiting healthy children and grandchildren.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced the guidance Monday.

The guidance is designed to address a growing demand, as more adults have been getting vaccinated and wondering if it gives them greater freedom to visit family members, travel, or do other things like they did before the COVID-19 pandemic swept the world last year.

“We know that people want to get vaccinated so they can get back to doing the things they enjoy with the people they love,” said CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, in a statement.

The CDC is continuing to recommend that fully vaccinated people continue to wear well-fitted masks, avoid large gatherings, and physically distance themselves from others when out in public. The CDC also advised vaccinated people to get tested if they develop symptoms that could be related to COVID-19.

Officials say a person is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving the last required dose of vaccine. About 30 million Americans — or only about 9% of the U.S. population — have been fully vaccinated with a federally authorized COVID-19 vaccine so far, according to the CDC.

Full Coverage: Coronavirus pandemic

Authorized vaccine doses first became available in December, and they were products that required two doses spaced weeks apart. But since January, a small but growing number of Americans have been fully vaccinated, and have been asking questions like: Do I still have to wear a mask? Can I go to a bar now? Can I finally see my grandchildren?

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

I love how this contradicts itself by saying you can meet indoors without wearing a mask and that you should continue to wear a mask. I'm not sure it can really be considered guidance if they're still on the fence.

8 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

NEW YORK (AP) — Fully-vaccinated Americans can gather with other vaccinated people indoors without wearing a mask or social distancing, according to long-awaited guidance from federal health officials.

The CDC is continuing to recommend that fully vaccinated people continue to wear well-fitted masks, avoid large gatherings, and physically distance themselves from others when out in public. The CDC also advised vaccinated people to get tested if they develop symptoms that could be related to COVID-19.

21 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

I love how this contradicts itself by saying you can meet indoors without wearing a mask and that you should continue to wear a mask. I'm not sure it can really be considered guidance if they're still on the fence.

Yep. I agree 100%. The CDC doesn't want to get caught with their pants down. I will still wear my mask at gatherings as the CDC also claims that even if you had COVID and/or received the vaccination, you can be a carrier. They really don't make sense. There is a Spanish cliche that goes, "Te peinas o te hace rulos.  No puedes hacer los dos a la misma vez."  In English, "You either comb your hair or do curlers. You can't do both at the same time."

35 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

However the CDC director said people still shouldn't travel, vaccinated or not.

In the new guidance, the CDC notes its travel recommendations have not changed: The CDC says people should delay travel and stay home.

This says to me that they're not going to allow cruising anytime soon

A lot of hedging in the CDC guidance, but this is indisputably good news and a clear step in the direction of normalcy.  

How ecstatic are grandparents to hear that once fully vaccinated they can safely visit their grandkids again, and without masks?

The new CDC guidance says fully vaccinated people can:
  • Visit other vaccinated people indoors without masks or physical distancing
  • Visit indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household without masks or physical distancing, if the unvaccinated people are at low risk for severe disease.
  • Skip quarantine and testing if exposed to someone who has Covid-19 but are asymptomatic, but should monitor for symptoms for 14 days
However, people who are fully vaccinated still need to take precautions in many scenarios. The guidelines say fully vaccinated people must:
  • Wear a mask and keep good physical distance around the unvaccinated who are at increased risk for severe Covid-19, or if the unvaccinated person has a household member who is at higher risk
  • Wear masks and physically distance when visiting unvaccinated people who are from multiple households.
In addition, fully vaccinated people should continue basic safety precautions, including: wearing a mask that fits well and keeping physical distance in public; avoiding medium- and large-sized crowds; avoiding poorly ventilated public spaces; washing hands frequently; and getting tested for Covid-19 if they feel sick.

If fully vaccinated people live in a non-health care congregate setting, such as a group home or detention facility, they should quarantine for 14 days and get tested if exposed to someone with a suspected or confirmed Covid-19 case.

The guidelines say that the risk of infection in social activities like going to the gym or restaurant is lower for the fully vaccinated. However, people should still take precautions, as transmission risk in these settings is higher and increases the more unvaccinated people are involved.

No change to CDC travel guidance

In the new guidance, the CDC notes its travel recommendations have not changed: The CDC says people should delay travel and stay home.

Walensky said CDC travel guidelines will remain the same for the vaccinated until there is more data about how much or how little vaccinated people can transmit the virus to others. She added that a "larger swath" of the population will also need to be vaccinated before it's really safe.
About 90% of the country is still not vaccinated, Walensky said. Travel brings too much exposure to crowds and the spread of variants is also a real concern.
"Every time there's a surge in travel, we have a surge of cases in this country," Walensky said.
"We're hopeful that our next set of guidance, will have more science around what vaccinated people can do, perhaps travel being among them."
Jeff Zients, the White House coronavirus coordinator, said he hopes the country sees the announcement of new guidelines as a "hopeful day."
"We are here in no small measure because of the safety protection that many, many Americans have taken with regard to their family, friends and neighbors," Zients said. "We ask people to continue to do that so we can get there, as quickly and as permanently as possible."
There are now 30 million people in the United States who are fully vaccinated, but the United States still averaged more than 60,000 cases per day over the last seven days, according to Johns Hopkins University.

Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter

Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.

"We continue to have high levels of virus around the country, and more readily transmissible variants have now been confirmed in nearly every state, while we work to quickly vaccinate people more and more each day, we have to see this through," Walensky said Monday. "Let's stick together. Please keep wearing a well fitting mask and taking the other public health actions we know work to help stop the spread of this virus."

There are some limitations to to the guidance and companies can still require masking.  It's a step in the right direction, but not a free for all yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/health/covid-19-vaccine-cdc-guidelines-fully-vaccinated/index.html

The new CDC guidance says fully vaccinated people can:
  • Visit other vaccinated people indoors without masks or physical distancing
  • Visit indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household without masks or physical distancing, if the unvaccinated people are at low risk for severe disease.
  • Skip quarantine and testing if exposed to someone who has Covid-19 but are asymptomatic, but should monitor for symptoms for 14 days
However, people who are fully vaccinated still need to take precautions in many scenarios. The guidelines say fully vaccinated people must:
  • Wear a mask and keep good physical distance around the unvaccinated who are at increased risk for severe Covid-19, or if the unvaccinated person has a household member who is at higher risk
  • Wear masks and physically distance when visiting unvaccinated people who are from multiple households.

28 minutes ago, Bigken said:

The cdc just announced that if you’re vacanated  you no longer have to were a mask when you gather   Sounds like good news for a mask free cruise   Just maybe  !!!

I haven't heard that, but I sure hope it's true.  I'm one shot down and get my second one in three weeks.

22 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

"We continue to have high levels of virus around the country, and more readily transmissible variants have now been confirmed in nearly every state, while we work to quickly vaccinate people more and more each day, we have to see this through,"

We're at the lowest positivity rate we've had since day 1. The variants they have us afraid of didn't even last long in the UK or South Africa.

1 hour ago, emmef said:

The article also says that you can visit with other vaccinated persons in small groups.  This is not a free for all or let's all go pack into a theater and watch a live show together free pass.

Not yet, anyway.

The reason the "small groups" is part of that is because the vast majority still does not have the vaccine and aren't eligible to get the vaccine yet. As more news comes out, it seems more and more likely that this vaccine, in the eyes of the CDC, is what ultimately will end the pandemic a lot quicker than predicted considering the ease of restrictions and recommendations already coming. Supposedly by May there is supposed to be enough vaccines (in the US) for everybody who wants one - so it begs the question, will the second half of 2021 be back to "normal" since the vaccines are supposedly working that well?

1 hour ago, KyleW22 said:

Supposedly by May there is supposed to be enough vaccines (in the US) for everybody who wants one - so it begs the question, will the second half of 2021 be back to "normal" since the vaccines are supposedly working that well?

It will depend in no small part on the other pieces of the supply chain ramping up equally -- supplies of syringes, alcohol swabs, and all the other pieces needed to actually administer a vaccination also have to be available in the same quantity. If those fall short, vaccinations will lag vs if we have all the pieces at the same supply level.

The other piece is the logistics of actually administering the vaccinations. Do we have enough trained doctors and nurses hired for the vaccination sites? Do we have the distribution chain solidly in place for every city, county, and state? Will that distribution ramp up fast enough to meet the supply that's available? The relief bill just passed by the Senate (mostly identical to the House bill, but now has to be voted on in the House this week before going to Biden for him to sign into law) includes a ton of funding for vaccine distribution and administration, so hopefully the answers to all of those questions will be "yes" by the time we reach that supply level.

Part of the problem has been that there was no centrally coordinated logistics operation, and all 50 states were left to wing it on their own. Now it seems like there's some centralization coming back to ensure good coordination and distribution, and that should also help to get things to where H2 2021 will look a heck of a lot better than H2 2020 did.

14 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

It will depend in no small part on the other pieces of the supply chain ramping up equally -- supplies of syringes, alcohol swabs, and all the other pieces needed to actually administer a vaccination also have to be available in the same quantity. If those fall short, vaccinations will lag vs if we have all the pieces at the same supply level.

Vaccines that would be available by the end of May would have just recently started their manufacturing process or are about to. So it shouldn't take too long for the companies to hit their roadblocks.

I just got my appointment for my first shot! Turns out 2 texas counties right next to the Louisiana state line have opened up for all comers. Logged on this afternoon and have an appointment on Wed. About a 70 mile drive but worth it!

Can't be long until all texas counties are giving out the vaccine to everyone 

4 hours ago, steverk said:

I just got my appointment for my first shot! Turns out 2 texas counties right next to the Louisiana state line have opened up for all comers. Logged on this afternoon and have an appointment on Wed. About a 70 mile drive but worth it!

Can't be long until all texas counties are giving out the vaccine to everyone 

That's awesome!  Every state around me will vaccinates "residents only".  Minnesota has been vaccinating very, very, slowly.

19 hours ago, melmar02 said:

CYA by the CDC - if you're ABSOLUTELY certain that EVERYBODY in the group is fully vaccinated, it's okay to be maskless and close.

If you're not sure and even ONE person MIGHT NOT be vaccinated, wear a mask and don't get near each other.

12 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

CYA by the CDC - if you're ABSOLUTELY certain that EVERYBODY in the group is fully vaccinated, it's okay to be maskless and close.

If you're not sure and even ONE person MIGHT NOT be vaccinated, wear a mask and don't get near each other.

CDC didnt use the term "group". That's not their intentions. 

24 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

CDC didnt use the term "group". That's not their intentions. 

They said fully vaccinated people can gather with other fully vaccinated people without masks or social distancing.

People gathering together is a GROUP. 

group  /ɡro͞op/

noun
     a number of people or things that are located close together or are considered or classed together.

27 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

They said fully vaccinated people can gather with other fully vaccinated people without masks or social distancing.

People gathering together is a GROUP. 

group  /ɡro͞op/

noun
     a number of people or things that are located close together or are considered or classed together.

No. You should have also looked up the word "gathering": an assembly or meeting, especially a social or festive one or one held for a specific purpose. Gathering and groups are totally different.

The CDC stated and I quote, "Visit other vaccinated people indoors without masks or physical distancing." What you are implying is that the CDC "meant" groups which is not what they said.

You have to understand that in the "legal world" words are measured precisely in order for any parties whom make a statement will not fall flat on their faces or end up getting backlash.

The CDC has been playing these word games from the start.

9 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

The CDC has been playing these word games from the start.

As you are doing now. There is no way to have a gathering WITHOUT there being a group.

One person is neither a gathering nor a group. Two or more together in the same place is always a group and becomes a gathering if there is a specific reason for them to be together.

CDC may not have used the word "group" but they did create a guidance that impacts what may be done by groups (or "group gatherings" if you will, but that phrase is needlessly redundant).

7 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

As you are doing now. There is no way to have a gathering WITHOUT there being a group.

One person is neither a gathering nor a group. Two or more together in the same place is always a group and becomes a gathering if there is a specific reason for them to be together.

CDC may not have used the word "group" but they did create a guidance that impacts what may be done by groups (or "group gatherings" if you will, but that phrase is needlessly redundant).

Let's just agree to disagree. Have a good day!!  ?????????

20 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

There is a Spanish cliche that goes, "Te peinas o te hace rulos.  No puedes hacer los dos a la misma vez."  In English, "You either comb your hair or do curlers. You can't do both at the same time."

My wife speaks Spanish as her 1st language, and I tell ya.....the sayings that I learn are always entertaining, never ending, and spot on....lol 

23 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

That's awesome!  Every state around me will vaccinates "residents only".  Minnesota has been vaccinating very, very, slowly.

I take this back - they opened it up for more people today and I'm getting my first shot THIS THURSDAY.  Now the trick will be to survive work that night - 6pm-6am - hope there are no side effects!!!