Disabled Accessibility Question

Hi All,

I’m looking to book a trip on the anthem in September. There aren’t any  disabled balcony rooms available so I’m looking to book a standard room. Does anyone know if RCL have portable shower chairs that we can use? She can’t stand for long so one would be required. Else I can buy one but just helps if we know if they have these to use. 

Thanks! 

I don't know if that is something Royal provides for use in standard balcony cabins.  Try looking over this website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

In particular this page indicates "shower stool" but I don't know if that is what you are seeking.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/equipment

Sometimes accessible rooms don't always appear in inventory so you might try calling and speaking to Royal or a travel agent.  Beyond that you can try emailing them with your questions at special_needs@rccl.com. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I don't know if that is something Royal provides for use in standard balcony cabins.  Try looking over this website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

In particular this page indicates "shower stool" but I don't know if that is what you are seeking.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/equipment

Sometimes accessible rooms don't always appear in inventory so you might try calling and speaking to Royal or a travel agent.  Beyond that you can try emailing them with your questions at special_needs@rccl.com. 

Thank you!

As @Mattwould probably say, this is a prime example of time to use a good travel agent. They can help navigate this type of request and assist in completing the  disability request form.  I use the form for my CPAP, but there are a lot of other options on the form,

Good luck!

Stay Safe!

On 3/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, Scoular said:

Hi All,

I’m looking to book a trip on the anthem in September. There aren’t any  disabled balcony rooms available so I’m looking to book a standard room. Does anyone know if RCL have portable shower chairs that we can use? She can’t stand for long so one would be required. Else I can buy one but just helps if we know if they have these to use. 

Thanks! 

If you are sailing out of Southampton and royal don't supply them I know my neighbour as hired things from mobility at sea, I'm not sure if they are cost effective though

My husband is disabled, and we are booked in disabled Jr. Suite on Ovation. So, according to the disabled room photos we have seen the disabled rooms have fold down benches in the roll in showers. I mentioned to special needs at sea that my husband would need a shower chair, but was told that since we were in a disabled cabin that is already provided in the form of the fold down bench.  So my thought is that they must have shower chairs, but you would definitely need to request one using the special needs request form. We sailed once in a non-accessible cabin on another cruise line, and it was not a great experience as my spouse was using a travel scooter at the time. Storing the scooter, charging the scooter, getting around the scooter in the room was a real pain. The only way I could see taking a non-accessible cabin would be if your wife is able to get around with only a cane or walker. Even then, getting over the door thresholds into the room and onto the balcony could take a bit of maneuvering.  Best wishes for a wonderful cruise!

Shower stools are available upon request.  Once I booked a non-accessible room as that was what was available, and requested a shower chair.  Later an accessible room came available, and when I arrived in the accessible room, I found the shower stool I had requested for the original booked room.  I asked the steward to remove it as the wall mounted seat was available.  I would recommend putting your request on a wait list just in case one comes available..