Advice on Travel Sickness and A&C Needed

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at the 9 Night Super City Break cruise from Southampton.   I usually cruise with my partner but he's not keen on going on this one as he's already travelled there with work.  They're all new to me though, so I'm keen to go.  He's suggested I take my mum instead.  I'm currently on Platinum and she has never cruised.  She gets travel sick easily.  I guess my two questions are:

1) Anyone on here suffer from travel sickness and will just living off anti-sickness pills for 9 days be ok? The cruise is on the Anthem which I've been on before but I don't get travel sick so I don't know how bad that would feel to someone that does.

2) I'd be travelling during the double points promo, so I would then be taken up to Emerald, where my partner would be still Platinum.  Our next cruise as a couple is in October 2022, will he get the same benefits as me in Emerald or will be have less?  Same with my mum if she comes on this cruise with 0 points, will she have the same benefits if in the same cabin?

Many thanks in advance!

25 minutes ago, joshgates said:

I'm like your mum, it's bad enough that just watching some videos can trigger my motion sickness and being on a ship definitely triggers it (less so on the largest ships).  I'm perfectly fine though with just taking bonine once a day and keeping some of the gin-gin double strength hard candies around.

20210302_075558.jpg

Taking anti motion sickness pills for 9 days is totally fine. The primary side effect is sleepiness, so expect a lovely afternoon nap.

You could also speak to your doctor about getting a prescription for Scopolamine Transdermal Patch, which goes behind your ear and works quite well too.

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

You could also speak to your doctor about getting a prescription for Scopolamine Transdermal Patch, which goes behind your ear and works quite well too.

I always bring this patch. I used to put it on when I arrived at the port, I get dizzy walking lol. Was afraid to be ill. As it turns out I got my sea legs and now just bring them in my carry on to have just in case. 

On the Oasis class I never touched it. But beware, alcohol and patches don't mix, period. It seems to make you loopy sleepy if combined with uh say happy hour, don't ask how I know this. Was literally holding on to hubby for dear life, walking stumbling like I was intoxicated...I wasn't, not yet anyways! Lol. 

**Super important, my prescriber never told me this, don't just rip the thing off. Let it stay on for the duration if you have slapped it on, I found out the hard way. If it's a 3 day patch wear it for 3 days, if I have disembarked I keep it on even after walking off, hubby drives home.

The withdrawal from that drug is ruthless, again don't ask how I know. Let's just say you needed it, put it on,  and then the sailing was over upon completion of day one, and you rip it off in the car on the way home....OMG, the headache,(migrain) nausea, puking in bed for 2 days, considering the ER and I NEVER go to that place. 

Nevertheless, I have it with me on every sailing, just in case because it does work like a charm.  Enjoy and try not to think about it, you will have an amazing time. 

We've just always used the sea bands and found them to be good. On our last trip from Southampton to Bruges the sea was quite rough, as we were ok we loaned our bands to a lady that was stuck in her cabin being seasick and it enabled her to get out of the cabin. Also used them for a few bad crossings across the bay of biscay and they worked.

10 hours ago, Scoular said:

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at the 9 Night Super City Break cruise from Southampton.   I usually cruise with my partner but he's not keen on going on this one as he's already travelled there with work.  They're all new to me though, so I'm keen to go.  He's suggested I take my mum instead.  I'm currently on Platinum and she has never cruised.  She gets travel sick easily.  I guess my two questions are:

1) Anyone on here suffer from travel sickness and will just living off anti-sickness pills for 9 days be ok? The cruise is on the Anthem which I've been on before but I don't get travel sick so I don't know how bad that would feel to someone that does.

2) I'd be travelling during the double points promo, so I would then be taken up to Emerald, where my partner would be still Platinum.  Our next cruise as a couple is in October 2022, will he get the same benefits as me in Emerald or will be have less?  Same with my mum if she comes on this cruise with 0 points, will she have the same benefits if in the same cabin?

Many thanks in advance!

are you going on the 9 night out of Southampton this coming Sept?  I am also on that cruise. and hoping it sails.  Not so sure though

On 3/5/2021 at 7:35 AM, Scoular said:

It doesn't look like this question was addressed above, so...

Part One:

Crown and Anchor has a concept known as a relationship for people in the same household.  Here is the exact verbiage:

• A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.
  • For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

Assuming your partner and you live in the same household (at the same address) you can contact Crown and Anchor and they will establish that you are eligible for equivalent tier status.  As either one of you climb the C&A ladder the other will be granted the higher status.  If you log into each other's account you will appear to have the same number of points but behind the scenes each person will always have only the points they have actually sailed.  Should a relationship end account points would revert to the points actually sailed for each person.

In practice Royal has not required extensive proof such as demanding to see a marriage certificate before placing couples into a relationship.  As you could imagine this would get tricky with differing social norms around the world.  However attempting to put yourself in "relationships" with multiple people would likely raise a flag.  If both C&A accounts have the same address that has so far established the basis of a relationship.  

As an adult you can't declare your mother into a relationship with you, it is truly limited to a spouse, partner or significant other.

Contact C&A by email or phone and request or confirm that you and your partner are in a relationship then as one of you moves up to the next tier level you will both move up to the next tier level.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:35 AM, Scoular said:

Same with my mum if she comes on this cruise with 0 points, will she have the same benefits if in the same cabin?

Part Two:

C&A benefits are granted to each individual guest, not the cabin they sail in.  

If you are Platinum now, you will have Platinum benefits for this cruise and after the cruise ends, once the double points post to your account, if you have earned enough to cross the next threshold then on your next cruise after this one you will have Emerald benefits.

Your mom does NOT benefit from sharing a cabin with a Platinum member.  Her status will be "pre-Gold" on her first cruise and should she take another cruise she would then have Gold status on the next cruise.

Points always post a week or so after a cruise completes so until the points post to your account you do not level up.  In other words, you don't level up mid-cruise or during a cruise that will push you into the next level.   

In the past Royal sometimes doesn't post the right number of points for a particular sailing.  Suites always get more points per night.  Solo cruisers usually get more points per night depending on cabin type.  Sometimes these extra point scenarios don't post properly.  If that happens to you don't fear they declined your double points for some reason, just reach out to them by email or phone and C&A will fix any mistakes with points not posting properly.   

• 3 weeks later...