Who has the cheat sheet to the secret room codes...a1, a2... j3, j4...

New to the blog and have been lurking behind all the great posts.   Soaking in all the great stories, info and joking around.  But one thing that I completely do not understand...   what do all the room codes mean.  What’s the difference between an a1 and a2 or a j3 and j4.  So on and so on.   Is there a cheat sheet for a newbie to understand why there is difference in the same room? 

On a side note, why does an Aquatheater 1 bedroom not get the genie service and the 2 bedroom does get the genie service? When I look at the room details the 1 bedroom has concierge service listed and the 2 bedroom states Royal Genie. 

Thanks you and appreciate any words of wisdom.

10 minutes ago, Old and Lazy said:

why does an Aquatheater 1 bedroom not get the genie service and the 2 bedroom does get the genie service? When I look at the room details the 1 bedroom has concierge service listed and the 2 bedroom states Royal Genie. 

A1/A2 and A3/A4 are 2 completely different classes of suites. A1 and A2 (2 BR ATS) are Star Class suites.  A3 and A4 (1 BR ATS) are Sky Class suites.  The Genie only comes with Star Class.  Star Class comes with both Concierge and Genie while Sky Class has only the Concierge.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

A1/A2 and A3/A4 are 2 completely different classes of suites. A1 and A2 (2 BR ATS) are Star Class suites.  A3 and A4 (1 BR ATS) are Sky Class suites.  The Genie only comes with Star Class.  Star Class comes with both Concierge and Genie while Sky Class has only the Concierge.

Thank you.   Just seems strange to me that the 1 bedroom aqua suite would be star class and not the same as the 2 bedrooms.   But i guess they have to draw the line somewhere.  

1 hour ago, Old and Lazy said:

Yes, very helpful.   May need a glass of wine or two to figure out the chart.  But, very helpful.  Thank you!

Something I figured out recently (for non Star Class purposes...)

Odd number are distinctly different compared to even number within a cabin type.

2D/4D balcony for example vs. 1D/3D balcony.  

The number does not indicate the exact capacity but it gives a hint at it, at least in terms of odd number vs. even number.

So how does it work...

Starting with an even number means it can accomodate 2 guests.

Starting with an odd number means it can accommodate more than 2 guests.  

If you are looking at a 2D or 2N or 4D or 4V or whatever type of cabin, the even number means that cabin has a capacity of 2 guests (except for studios).

If you see a 1D or 3N or 5D or whatever with an odd number that cabin can accommodate more than 2 guests.

Studio cabins have a capacity of 1 so they deviate from this a little. The number doesn't matter, studio can sleep one guest.

What about the letter?

The letter is the cabin type, interior, oceanview, balcony, etc.

The most common are:

D = balcony

N = Oceanview

V = interior

U = virtual balcony (interior)

J = Junior Suite

While D generally means balcony, what about a "spacious" balcony?  Enter the letter B or C.

B/C = spacious balcony

While N generally indicates oceanview what about spacious oceanview?  Enter the letter M or L

M/L = Spacious oceanview

There are a few more letters in play.  Full suites and newer cabin types like boardwalk or central park introduce new letters as shown in the chart posted by @Lovetocruise2002.

In the real world, if your cabin category contains an even number that cabin can take 2 guest. 

But wait... Uncle Ron wants to come on the cruise now.  Can you add Uncle Ron to a cabin that already has two guests?  (non suite)

If the cabin type is even, Uncle Ron is out of luck. (even number means only two guests)

If the cabin type is odd, Uncle Ron can most likely share the cabin with the two other guests IF you want Uncle Ron sharing that cabin and IF there is lifeboat capacity in that muster station.

Studio cabins are always one guest and only one guest regardless of the type of studio cabin.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Odd number are distinctly different compared to even number within a cabin type.

The number does not indicate the exact capacity but it gives a hint at it, at least in terms of odd number vs. even number.

So how does it work...

If you are looking at a 2D or 2N or 4D or 4V or whatever type of cabin, the even number means that cabin has a capacity of 2 guests (except for studios).

If you see a 1D or 3N or 5D or whatever with an odd number that cabin can accommodate more than 2 guests.

Studio cabins have a capacity of 1 so they deviate from this a little. The number doesn't matter, studio can sleep one guest.

What about the letter?

The most common are:

D = balcony

N = Oceanview

V = interior

J = Junior Suite

While D generally means balcony, what about a "spacious" balcony?  Enter the letter B or C.

B/C = spacious balcony

While N generally indicates oceanview what about spacious oceanview?  Enter the letter M or L

M/L = Spacious oceanview

There are a few more letters in play.  Full suites and newer cabin types like boardwalk or central park introduce new letters as shown in the chart posted by @Lovetocruise2002.

So, there ya go !  @twangsterhas perfectly bot-splained it !  Who could have guessed ?

49 minutes ago, Marc Van Niekerk said:

Could it be helpful to have a glossary of all the abbreviations used?  I took a few minutes to figure out ATS...

I knew it was a Suite since @Lovetocruise2002 was the person using it but I needed a minute to figure out what type.

I know- I speak categories not abbreviations! I know what A1, A2 are but ATS took a minute even though it's the same thing!

11 hours ago, twangster said:

So how does it work...

What about the letter?

The most common are:

D = balcony

N = Oceanview

V = interior

J = Junior Suite

B/C = spacious balcony

M/L = Spacious oceanview

This is pretty correct. Odd/even numbers are sometimes not the best way to tell- you can put 2 people in a J3 on a lot of ships. And 4 people in a 7D on several. It just depends on their mood I guess. But it's a great overall synopsis!

Also one thing is CB, or CI. Those are specific connecting staterooms. Not all connecting go in that category, and not all of them will work if you have, say a family of 5. But on some ships that's how they do it.