SSan Juan 2022?cott

So is summer 2022 set?  Are there really no sailings from San Juan?  Really wanted to do a southern caribbean... and apparently I'm the only person on earth who isn't excited about another visit to "perfect day"....  

Our group has been holding off booking in hopes of an itinerary that would be exciting for all...

• Matt changed the title to SSan Juan 2022?cott
20 hours ago, ScottSMS said:

and apparently I'm the only person on earth who isn't excited about another visit to "perfect day"....

I have no desire to go there. I have done Labadee, and liked it, but if I want to do a non-descript, packed beach, I'll go to an all-inclusive or something. Doing more than one day (if that) at one of these private cruise islands (or, in the case of Labadee, peninsulas masked as islands) sounds boring as heck to me. 

Eirc: 

We are likely to end up on the Explorer, but I was hoping to get a start point further south to get more islands and fewer days - and a newer, larger ship would be nice.  Not to mention, as an anniversary cruise, we'd like to start in the same place again.

It just seems odd that despite more ships, they are dumping San Juan as a origination port for the summer, and I'm done with the tradional east/west caribbean routes.  Souther to Barbados or the ABCs would be ideal.

But it seems at least for June 2022 that off the plate.

On 3/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Matt said:

Thank goodness for this.  It just feels like San Juan is teetering on the edge of the chopping block.  That would be a real casualty to me.

10 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Thank goodness for this.  It just feels like San Juan is teetering on the edge of the chopping block.  That would be a real casualty to me.

Hmm, I thought about this for a few minutes.

I can see what you mean, but then again, cruises longer than 7 nights from Miami have really been cut down.

San Juan is the gateway to the Southern Caribbean, and that's not a market I see Royal Caribbean moving away from.

Sure, Barbados, might offer an alternative, but San Juan is closer and easier to get to for most Americans.

Now that I've jinxed things, cue the news post that they are going to stop sailing from San Juan ?

On 3/6/2021 at 9:45 AM, Matt said:

Hmm, I thought about this for a few minutes.

I can see what you mean, but then again, cruises longer than 7 nights from Miami have really been cut down.

San Juan is the gateway to the Southern Caribbean, and that's not a market I see Royal Caribbean moving away from.

Sure, Barbados, might offer an alternative, but San Juan is closer and easier to get to for most Americans.

Now that I've jinxed things, cue the news post that they are going to stop sailing from San Juan ?

Thanks for the response Matt.  I hope you're right.  It just feels like SJU is becoming less important to the cruise lines.  It probably all comes down to money, and it seems to me that most of the time cruise fares out of San Juan are a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than anywhere in FL.  Add in the extra revenue generated by the private island experience (in which we don't have too much interest), and the dollar difference is even more in FL's favor.

Now rather than two ships year round, RCCL looks to have one ship for part of the year.  Carnival looks to be in the same situation... although I think much of what they will do is still to be determined with so many ships leaving their fleet, and probably more to go.  If the Mardi Gras goes to Port Canaveral, maybe the Magic or Breeze to Puerto Rico.  That would be awesome.  We really like those ships.

7 minutes ago, RCVoyager said:

Thanks for the response Matt.  I hope you're right.  It just feels like SJU is becoming less important to the cruise lines.  It probably all comes down to money, and it seems to me that most of the time cruise fares out of San Juan are a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than anywhere in FL.  Add in the extra revenue generated by the private island experience (in which we don't have too much interest), and the dollar difference is even more in FL's favor.

Now rather than two ships year round, RCCL looks to have one ship for part of the year.  Carnival looks to be in the same situation... although I think much of what they will do is still to be determined with so many ships leaving their fleet, and probably more to go.  If the Mardi Gras goes to Port Canaveral, maybe the Magic or Breeze to Puerto Rico.  That would be awesome.  We really like those ships.

To add on to that, we would also be thrilled for RCCL to leave an updated Voyager or Freedom class ship for the next 10 years... not just the Breeze or Magic.