Help with Room Selection

I know everyone has different thoughts and tolerances but would love to hear opinions on room selection.  Booking for 2023 on Anthem for family of 4 (2 teenagers by then).

For our first booking last year, which got cancelled due to covid, we had 2 connecting interior virtual rooms.  

For our Dec booking, that I don't think will happen for us, we have 2 connecting balcony rooms.

Prices for 2023 have gone way up.  Would love to book either a JS for 5 (exactly what we need with a pullman and a sofa bed) or 2 balcony rooms, but these options are 2K more than a single balcony....which in itself is what we like to pay for a cruise.

So...would others go for 2 connecting virtual interiors or a single balcony?  In terms of cost, 2 interior are $320 more than a single balcony, so price between them isn't a big factor.  I'm thinking that until things are 100% back to normal that we stick to balcony rooms?  It just means that our 2 kids are sharing a sofa bed...or DD and I take the sofa bed and DH and DS take the queen.  Not fun, but doable.  

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

I always go with 2 connecting rooms, so I'd pick connecting virtual interiors.

When you aren't sharing a shower among 5 people, you'll thank me! 

Ha ha.  I hear you.

We have shared staterooms before with the 4 of us so we can manage (and stagger our shower times)....but definitely 2 bathrooms are nice!  It's mostly the bed situation that is making me think twice.

I should comment too that this is for March...so probably won't actually be using the balcony too much (but still nice to have).

Do we think that the risk of a quarantine will be gone by 2023?  That is my main concern of an inside.  Had no issues booking them before.

I think we can all agree we all hope that cruising will be a lot closer to normal in 2022 and even better in 2023 but... no one knows.

I'm booking interiors in 2021 because I think public health agencies learned that keeping everyone on a ship while they do nothing and scratch their heads was a really terrible idea on their part.  The inaction of the public health agencies led to the spread that occurred and they know that now.  Hindsight is 20-20.  Consequently I don't think we'll see that sort of failed response on the part of public health agencies in the future.  

Oh thank you.  I feel better now.  2 rooms is more ideal (or on other ships where they have a sofa + pullman), I was just concerned in the chance of a quarantine.  At least this booking is for 2 years out so things should be much better by then.  And from twangster's comments, they have learned and hopefully won't go there again.

As for affording it....sadly this will cost us 2k more than we paid for the same 2 rooms on our (cancelled) 2020 cruise but don't think we'll ever see those prices again....but still what we are willing to pay.  

9 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Oh thank you.  I feel better now.  2 rooms is more ideal (or on other ships where they have a sofa + pullman), I was just concerned in the chance of a quarantine.  At least this booking is for 2 years out so things should be much better by then.  And from twangster's comments, they have learned and hopefully won't go there again.

As for affording it....sadly this will cost us 2k more than we paid for the same 2 rooms on our (cancelled) 2020 cruise but don't think we'll ever see those prices again....but still what we are willing to pay.  

Just keep an eye out for price drops, You can always reprice ?

We have always sailed with the 4 of us in an ocean view balcony room with no problem.   With our boys being older now we booked 2 rooms for our next sailing.  My husband and I have a balcony room and our boys have an interior room directly across from us.   We told our boys if they want to see the ocean we can open our doors and they can look across the hall?   Seriously though...we are very excited to have 2 rooms.  I'm sure it will be hard to ever go back to one.  Good luck!!

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have hope that by March 2023 relatively back to normal.  That being said, without a doubt, I would take the connecting with two teenagers!  It wouldn't even be question.

Or you can cheat and put one adult and teen in the balcony and the other adult and teen in an interior. They will give you extra keys, so that isn't an issue. You might have a different muster station, but if the Teens are reasonably responsible, this will save you money. We had a great time doing this last cruise. Another benny is if only one adult is ordering the drink package this is also a savings.

28 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

Or you can cheat and put one adult and teen in the balcony and the other adult and teen in an interior. They will give you extra keys, so that isn't an issue. You might have a different muster station, but if the Teens are reasonably responsible, this will save you money. We had a great time doing this last cruise. Another benny is if only one adult is ordering the drink package this is also a savings.

Hey, that's not fair if DH has the drink package and i don't  lol ?

From a booking perspective, it is easier to put one adult and one child in one and one/one in the other. This is because the online system won't allow two teens to be in the same room. It's fine if you call it in, but not fine online. So for checking promotions and such online I much prefer to book it that way. If you're not using a TA or if you prefer the adults in one, even on paper, then do it whichever way you want.

I have done it both ways depending on what the client wants, just letting you know which way is easiest.

We have always just had one stateroom or one hotel room and we where fine with the three of us (even did it with four adults). 

Adding that fourth person we still were fine but decided we wanted more privacy (Husband and I). 

We have started getting two hotel rooms and we keep trying to get two staterooms (they keep cancelling those on us). 

I think you guys will be so much more happy with two staterooms, even if they are interior ones vs one balcony.  

We have two interior ones for our Alaska cruise, to jump to two balconies almost triples in price. 

17 hours ago, Sharla said:

From a booking perspective, it is easier to put one adult and one child in one and one/one in the other. This is because the online system won't allow two teens to be in the same room. It's fine if you call it in, but not fine online. So for checking promotions and such online I much prefer to book it that way. If you're not using a TA or if you prefer the adults in one, even on paper, then do it whichever way you want.

I have done it both ways depending on what the client wants, just letting you know which way is easiest.

Thanks for the info.  We ended up keeping adults in one and kids in another.  It just avoids a trip to guest services for duplicate keys if done the other way around.  But we had it booked like that once as we had no option when booking online.  From promotion point of view, the end result would be the same right?

54 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

From promotion point of view, the end result would be the same right?

Yes, you just have to call in to adjust the room for people under 21. It's not usually a problem, but right now with hold times and things being as they are I prefer to do it the other way. All depends on what the traveler wants though, whichever is better for you, not me as an agent. 

5 hours ago, Sharla said:

Yes, you just have to call in to adjust the room for people under 21. It's not usually a problem, but right now with hold times and things being as they are I prefer to do it the other way. All depends on what the traveler wants though, whichever is better for you, not me as an agent. 

I've called a couple times since my March cruise was canceled. I was surprised how quickly I got through both times.

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've called a couple times since my March cruise was canceled. I was surprised how quickly I got through both times.

Depends on the day. If you have called right after a round of cancellations, or if you have to wait for Resolutions, times are much much longer. 
I call in multiple times daily, it all just depends.