Perks for RC stock ownership

RebN

• 2 months later...

Had a recent interesting experience with the RCL stock owner benefit.  There was a published guideline that originally prohibited stacking the Benefit OBC with other OBC. Then the guidance was updated.  

"Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Group or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with interline rates, travel agent rates, and employee friends and family rates. Benefit cannot be redeemed for chartered sailings, any Galapagos sailings or complimentary sailings."

Have 2 direct RCL bookings in which I received the $100 OBC credit (no issue), and with the updated guidance, applied for the credit for the 4 other cruises I have booked.  I received a response from Celebrity within a day granting the $100 OBC, and sustaining my existing OBC credit, BUT my rates increased $200 on one booking and $400 on another booking - so thinking they cancelled my travel agent rates on those 2.  Needless to say - I will forgo the $100 on each and go back to my TA rates.  Haven't seen a response from RCL on my 2 additional future cruises.  But after seeing how Celeb handled it, I expect I see an invoice showing  $100 OBC but a rate increase over the rate the TA provided.   When I read the instruction, it didn't "click" - now it does.   Have others experienced this?

26 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Had a recent interesting experience with the RCL stock owner benefit.  There was a published guideline that originally prohibited stacking the Benefit OBC with other OBC. Then the guidance was updated.  

"Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Group or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with interline rates, travel agent rates, and employee friends and family rates. Benefit cannot be redeemed for chartered sailings, any Galapagos sailings or complimentary sailings."

Have 2 direct RCL bookings in which I received the $100 OBC credit (no issue), and with the updated guidance, applied for the credit for the 4 other cruises I have booked.  I received a response from Celebrity within a day granting the $100 OBC, and sustaining my existing OBC credit, BUT my rates increased $200 on one booking and $400 on another booking - so thinking they cancelled my travel agent rates on those 2.  Needless to say - I will forgo the $100 on each and go back to my TA rates.  Haven't seen a response from RCL on my 2 additional future cruises.  But after seeing how Celeb handled it, I expect I see an invoice showing  $100 OBC but a rate increase over the rate the TA provided.   When I read the instruction, it didn't "click" - now it does.   Have others experienced this?

Confused.  Are you a TA that gets a discounted TA rate or are you saying you used a TA and are referring to the rate as "TA provided"?

Travel agents sometimes get discounted rates so they can experience a ship.  I could see TA special discounted rates they get not being eligible for stockholder benefits.  

All of my cruises are through a travel agency and Royal never modified my fare to add the stockholder OBC.  They are not "TA rates", they are standard Royal fares but the booking is assigned to a TA.   

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Confused.  Are you a TA that gets a discounted TA rate or are you saying you used a TA and are referring to the rate as "TA provided"?

Travel agents sometimes get discounted rates so they can experience a ship.  I could see TA special discounted rates they get not being eligible for stockholder benefits.  

All of my cruises are through a travel agency and Royal never modified my fare to add the stockholder OBC.  They are not "TA rates", they are standard Royal fares but the booking is assigned to a TA.   

You're right, they didn't modify it.  That's the fare before the TA discounts are applied.   (I didn't see until my TA explained it.)  Just being slow..

The invoice I received from the TA  has their discounts and the bottom line end up lower than what I received directly.  She said the OBC still remains, so all worked out.   (First time I used the online request tool for the credit  responded very quickly.  So it beat  update from the TA's system)  

It really depends on how often you cruise on Royal as to whether it is worth it. 

I bought my 100 shares back in April when it was at $30, a much better deal than the $85 it is today.

You basically have to go on 85 week long cruises to beak even.

I wouldn't advise buying unless you believe in it as an investment. RCI was trading well above $100 precovid but I think it will take a few years to get back to full profitability.