Texas lifts ban, cruising to begin in Galveston?

1 hour ago, mattylew said:

With Texas now opening up, does anyone think cruising will begin out of Galveston? We've got a June 7, 2021 cruise from Galveston to Cozumel. Wondering if it will actually will happen.

Florida has been Open for months and still we have no cruises so no I don't think Texas opening up matters at all. I think we have to get the Green Light from CDC and then it will be a go. 

We've got a cruise heading out of Galveston on June 2nd. I haven't even made my final payment yet, which is due tomorrow, since everything is up in the air. This was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime for my two teens. I was hoping that a decision would have been made by now whether cruises would resume or not by June. I'm not holding my breath, though. When I plan for vacations, I want everything set and ready to go. I don't like what's going on now with the whole wait and see. I've actually already made different vacation plans for that same week because of the uncertainty of cruises. If RC hasn't made any new announcements by tomorrow morning, I'll be canceling and be out $500 for this family of 5. ?

8 minutes ago, andreaoftexas said:

We've got a cruise heading out of Galveston on June 2nd. I haven't even made my final payment yet, which is due tomorrow, since everything is up in the air. This was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime for my two teens. I was hoping that a decision would have been made by now whether cruises would resume or not by June. I'm not holding my breath, though. When I plan for vacations, I want everything set and ready to go. I don't like what's going on now with the whole wait and see. I've actually already made different vacation plans for that same week because of the uncertainty of cruises. If RC hasn't made any new announcements by tomorrow morning, I'll be canceling and be out $500 for this family of 5. ?

With Cruise With Confidence you won't be out $500.  It will become future cruise credit for a cruise next year for example.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

None of us like what's going on.  Not with cruising and not for all the other things this thing has done to us.  The decision to cruise or not is not a decision that the cruise lines can make.  That decision is made solely by the CDC, they are authority that shutdown the cruise industry in the US.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

With Cruise With Confidence you won't be out $500.  It will become future cruise credit for a cruise next year for example.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

None of us like what's going on.  Not with cruising and not for all the other things this thing has done to us.  The decision to cruise or not is not a decision that the cruise lines can make.  That decision is made solely by the CDC, they are authority that shutdown the cruise industry in the US.  

Thanks. ?  I thought you had to be paid in full to take advantage of the Cruise With Confidence. 

I realize that it's not RC's call to resume cruises or not. It's just the not knowing that's driving me crayzay! 

25 minutes ago, andreaoftexas said:

Thanks. ?  I thought you had to be paid in full to take advantage of the Cruise With Confidence. 

I realize that it's not RC's call to resume cruises or not. It's just the not knowing that's driving me crayzay! 

No problem!

Does this match your situation?

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposits that were booked on or before April 30th, 2021 and are sailing on-or-before April 30th, 2022 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines. Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed prior to April 30th, 2021 - the change fee will be waived.

11 hours ago, andreaoftexas said:

I've actually already made different vacation plans for that same week because of the uncertainty of cruises. If RC hasn't made any new announcements by tomorrow morning, I'll be canceling and be out $500 for this family of 5. 

Would you still go if the cruise was going to sail at this point?  If so, I don't see any reason not to make the final payment if you can financially afford it.  If Royal cancels you will have the option to get everything you paid back 100% in cash.  If you've already decided you are going to do the other vacation no matter what, you probably want to go ahead and cancel under the Cruise With Confidence policy and you'll get the deposit back as Future Cruise Credits.

14 hours ago, mattylew said:

With Texas now opening up, does anyone think cruising will begin out of Galveston? We've got a June 7, 2021 cruise from Galveston to Cozumel. Wondering if it will actually will happen.

This would be wonderful as my husband and I have one scheduled in November. Hopefully by then we'll be cruising or have some test sailings ?

If Congress could waive immigration policy enforcement that prevents cruises to nowhere, it would allow cruise lines to take locals from Texas, or locals from Florida, or locals from any coastal state with a cruise port on a cruise to nowhere which would be no different than going to a hotel, visiting their restaurant and drinking at their bar on land.

With numbers dropping and vaccination rates increasing this single act of Congress would open the door for the thousands of Americans that work in the companies that support cruise ship operations in these coastal states to get back to work.

That would be a huge stimulus plan that doesn't cost trillions of dollars and it is non-partisan.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

If Congress could waive immigration policy enforcement that prevents cruises to nowhere, it would allow cruise lines to take locals from Texas, or locals from Florida, or locals from any coastal state with a cruise port on a cruise to nowhere which would be no different than going to a hotel, visiting their restaurant and drinking at their bar on land.

With numbers dropping and vaccination rates increasing this single act of Congress would open the door for the thousands of Americans that work in the companies that support cruise ship operations in these coastal states to get back to work.

That would be a huge stimulus plan that doesn't cost trillions of dollars and it is non-partisan.  

All my possible responses have been blocked by the politics filter ... so I'm just going to go with .... ?

2 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

All my possible responses have been blocked by the politics filter ... so I'm just going to go with .... ?

Welp, not me, I'll let 'er rip ........ Twangster's thought is spot on. The problem is that Congress is tied up with getting some important stuff done so, introcuding a bill like that would probably be a non-starter. Still......

An EO might work but me thinks restarting cruising is not high on Joe Biden's list of things to do despite it being a perfectly reasonable and highly effective way to stimulate the economy at no cost, as Twangster points out, to the Feds...... and ye[, it would be politically dangerous for him to swim upstream on this with an EO.

Or, maybe he could send a personal message to Ms Walenski, head of the CDC, a message signed by the president himself, that he wants her to "think" about, strongly "think" about sending the "technical guidance" the cruise industry is waiting on the CDC for to start test cruises and then opening up some cruise ports based on local COVID data so that test cruises could begin with an eye toward resuming cruising with passengers, probably to now where to start with, oh, let's say in May!