Cash taxes + Left over FCC confusion

Neesa

Hello all! I do not want to bother my TA again, essentially still hanging in there and working for free....yikes!! I have bothered her enough, and where the heck are the  Odyssey sailings, I digress. (Squirrel) I know you guys can help me understand. 

If I paid my deposit in cash but have enough FCC to pay for the sailing, can the deposit monies cover the taxes and fees part so I don't have to hand over additional cash at final payment?

Say I have left over FCC even after I paid in full, can that be placed on the cruise planner as on board credit?

Most of my FCC certificates reflect expire 12/2021 so I must apply by then, but are they still only eligible to be applied for up to April 2022 sailings? My latest FCC actually says good for sailings ⛵ 09/2022 but that was just this latest cancellation.

I know this is alot but please your direction is needed and so appreciated. 

@WAAAYTOOO@Lovetocruise2002 HELP! Thanks so much. 

Denise

FCC can not be converted to OBC.

FCC can not pay taxes and fees.

FCC can be applied like it is a payment towards the cruise fare (excluding taxes and fees) on a per person basis for the person named on the FCC.

If there is any FCC left over after applying some towards a booking, a new FCC will be generated in a couple weeks that can be applied to some other cruise.

Royal has made a number of FCC enhancements recently so previous experiences should be better going forward.

Hey, Denise -

Honestly, I am not that experienced in the art of the application of FCC's.  I have just given complete authority to @michelleand I rather choose to ignore it.  LOL  Sad, but true.

However, I THINK that the FCC can only be used for cruise fare - no taxes, ports fees, gratuities.  And I THINK that you can use your deposit for anything that the FCC does not cover.  SO....if the combination of your deposit + FCC is greater than the balance that you owe on your cruise, you would get a new FCC for any FCC overage and cash back if your cash deposit more than covers the taxes, ports fees and gratuities.

I could be completely wrong !

11 minutes ago, Neesa said:

essentially still hanging in there and working for free....yikes!

^^^They are amazing!  We all need to treat our TAs well.

12 minutes ago, Neesa said:

heck are the  Odyssey sailings,

Right?!  I thought I was the only one who was wondering what happened to them!

32 minutes ago, Neesa said:

If I paid my deposit in cash but have enough FCC to pay for the sailing, can the deposit monies cover the taxes and fees part so I don't have to hand over additional cash at final payment?

I actually want to know that too!

30 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@twangster and @WAAAYTOOO isn't @Neesaasking if her deposit money can be used towards taxes?

It depends but generally yes assuming the deposit was a payment and not an FCC based deposit. 

If port fees and taxes exceed the deposit amount a credit card payment would need to be applied at final payment due date.  That is more common on longer cruises to more expensive destinations like the Panama Canal or Hawaii where port fees and taxes are higher but it's also possible on short cruises or any NextCruise bookings with only a $100 deposit.

All calculations are on a per person basis.  

Travel agents understand the complexities and nuances so they can be very valuable resources when it comes to FCC.

@Lovetocruise2002, thanks for that yes that was my top question. I paid 750.00 cash deposit on my June Brilliance sailing when I booked. The total taxes and fees are around 450.00. I will pay the balance due in a few days with an FCC and will have about 1200.00 FCC left over. I did not want to hand over even more cash because why?? It very well may not go and I already paid the deposit cash because I wanted flexibility with pricing, just in case. I guess I should have just said that in the first place, gees. Sorry to be so confusing. Thanks so much @Lovetocruise2002 @twangster@WAAAYTOOO. Fingers crossed.

Here's what I predict:  the $300 that is "left over" from your cash deposit will be applied to the cruise fare first and THEN the FCC will be applied...so that will mean a larger FCC leftover.  I don't think they will refund any of your cash....my guess is they will apply it to the balance and then use the FCC for whatever is left to pay.

5 hours ago, Neesa said:

@Lovetocruise2002, thanks for that yes that was my top question. I paid 750.00 cash deposit on my June Brilliance sailing when I booked. The total taxes and fees are around 450.00. I will pay the balance due in a few days with an FCC and will have about 1200.00 FCC left over. I did not want to hand over even more cash because why?? It very well may not go and I already paid the deposit cash because I wanted flexibility with pricing, just in case. I guess I should have just said that in the first place, gees. Sorry to be so confusing. Thanks so much @Lovetocruise2002 @twangster@WAAAYTOOO. Fingers crossed.

You might want to check with your to see if the $300 can be applied to your prepaid gratuities. 

@JillThat one is a sore spot for me! I have such a mess on my hands with multiple FCC and feeling it would not go I did not want another, so I asked Sharla to lift and shift to May 2022 but it was during that small window where RCCL said Lift and Shift had been essentially "cancelled". I was upset and since this was already an FCC @ 125% I just asked @Sharla to cancel under CWC as I would not give them any more money. Lone behold they offered the program again literally a week later; and then I was SOL, I was really upset with Royal, that is probably the most frustrating thing with them is their constant fluidity, I guess good and bad but I received the bad. So now I have received my FCC for that sailing that is short at least 1,000.00 but Sharla is looking into that for me. I got over it though, I didn't want to sail DCL again so I booked a 5 night Mariner June 2022 in my elusive 1804 that I will use the FCC for, whenever we can figure out the correct amounts. @twangsteris spot on when he advised to keep good accounting of the cancellations as well as the certificates etc. They may be certificates now but previously it was thousands of dollars, I found the problem because I keep really tight accounting, I believe! I'm very happy that you were able to move yours though, just wonderful. Sea you in the future....I was hawking Odyssey Thanksgiving 2022 but where the heck is it? Looking at Symphony for that week instead but my family is not really feeling it, what is wrong with them??? Take good care!

15 minutes ago, Neesa said:

@JillThat one is a sore spot for me! I have such a mess on my hands with multiple FCC and feeling it would not go I did not want another, so I asked Sharla to lift and shift to May 2022 but it was during that small window where RCCL said Lift and Shift had been essentially "cancelled". I was upset and since this was already an FCC @ 125% I just asked @Sharla to cancel under CWC as I would not give them any more money. Lone behold they offered the program again literally a week later; and then I was SOL, I was really upset with Royal, that is probably the most frustrating thing with them is their constant fluidity, I guess good and bad but I received the bad. So now I have received my FCC for that sailing that is short at least 1,000.00 but Sharla is looking into that for me. I got over it though, I didn't want to sail DCL again so I booked a 5 night Mariner June 2022 in my elusive 1804 that I will use the FCC for, whenever we can figure out the correct amounts. @twangsteris spot on when he advised to keep good accounting of the cancellations as well as the certificates etc. They may be certificates now but previously it was thousands of dollars, I found the problem because I keep really tight accounting, I believe! I'm very happy that you were able to move yours though, just wonderful. Sea you in the future....I was hawking Odyssey Thanksgiving 2022 but where the heck is it? Looking at Symphony for that week instead but my family is not really feeling it, what is wrong with them??? Take good care!

We have a cruise in August 2021 with final payment in May 2021, this is a family cruise with 3 total cabins on separate reservations.  While I have confidence that we will be on a ship, i have started the conversations with the other members about the possible options.  We are leaning towards making final payment to take whatever the best offer is, should it be canceled, but others may not feel the same.  I've had to let them know that whenever they make thier decision, they need to "just be happy" with it and not be frustrated if a better offer is available later.  It's a tough road that all of us have been riding, that's for sure.

Stay Safe

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think you and I are the only ones wondering where on Earth Odyssey sailings are! ?

I have 5 holds at the moment and don’t want to make a decision until I see odyssey itineraries and pricing. 

WOW, I have one hold and was just looking at another but I don't want to make Sharla's head explode, I wish we could go in and do holds ourselves just to get situated, then call our amazing TA for bookings.....

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

WOW, I have one hold and was just looking at another but I don't want to make Sharla's head explode, I wish we could go in and do holds ourselves just to get situated, then call our amazing TA for bookings.....

Feel free to book them and I can take over! Takeovers aren't taking too long these days.

1 hour ago, Sharla said:

Feel free to book them and I can take over! Takeovers aren't taking too long these days.

This is what I usually do. Book with refundable then move it to Sharla. 

@neesa I just moved my October Odyssey in the med to next October Holy Land/Best of Greece in 2022. I’m assuming she’ll head back to the states for late fall. Not sure why no itineraries yet. 

15 hours ago, Jill said:

This is what I usually do. Book with refundable then move it to Sharla. 

@neesa I just moved my October Odyssey in the med to next October Holy Land/Best of Greece in 2022. I’m assuming she’ll head back to the states for late fall. Not sure why no itineraries yet. 

I'm checking almost hourly for the Odyssey! Nothing when I call in yet either. 

11 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I'm checking almost hourly for the Odyssey! Nothing when I call in yet either. 

I am starting to think that OY will come out next week with the long Caribbean sailings. If it does the 6/8 night runs, it might fall under that. Nothing above 7 nights came out this week.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was surprised to see those long cruises this week.  I thought they would be next week.  I love long cruises so i gobbled some up.  

I've been all over the place this week trying to grab the suites I wanted.  All sorted out now.  Deposits going in today.  Not waiting for Odyssey.  If it turns out that OY price surprises me in a good way (which I doubt), I will just move my March 2023 one.

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I've been all over the place this week trying to grab the suites I wanted.  All sorted out now.  Deposits going in today.  Not waiting for Odyssey.  If it turns out that OY price surprises me in a good way (which I doubt), I will just move my March 2023 one.

You know as soon as you put deposits down they will open Odyssey and then... it will be your fault... again.