Does Anyone Double Book Due to Uncertainty?

Ugh...so many unknowns that I have no idea what to book for newly released cruises.

Looking at March 2023.  Prices are way up for Harmony and Symphony, but am struggling between Oasis and Anthem.  It really depends on what happens March 2022 (and even Dec 2021).

Am I silly to put down 2 deposits for the same week?  Then as things go along and we see what cruises (or if cruises ) go ahead, we can keep the one accordingly.

Anyone else double book?  DH isn't thrilled with this idea with the uncertainly of cruise lines in general (but will go along if I really want to).

@WannaCruise aren't you already sailing OA with us in March 2022?  I'll admit, prices are bad.  Really bad.  But for us, I cannot book another sailing on Anthem (already will have sailed her 3 times by March 2023) or OA (sailing her March 2022 and now December 2022 thanks to some bad influencers).  So, I will have to bite the bullet and hope that price drops over time and sail SY or OY.  That's what I've narrowed it down it.

At this point we are shopping but not booking anything since we don't want to tie up extra money.  We had 3 cruises booked for 2020 and have moved two into 2021.  Only one was fully canceled, so we have the FCC that we will be using.  Until the first ship sets sail, we will hold off on booking so we don't have to deal with more FCCs.

Stay Safe

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As long as you make refundable deposits I see no down side other than tying up your money.  I think it's a very sound strategy as long as you can get your money back quickly.

Yes...sorry I should have noted, that I would book refundable.

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Since CWC is no longer in play by then, I agree with @WAAAYTOOO.  As long as you book refundable, why not?

With CWC, I've been double booked all over the place lol

Lol...glad I'm not the only one who has had this thought.

16 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@WannaCruise aren't you already sailing OA with us in March 2022?  I'll admit, prices are bad.  Really bad.  But for us, I cannot book another sailing on Anthem (already will have sailed her 3 times by March 2023) or OA (sailing her March 2022 and now December 2022 thanks to some bad influencers).  So, I will have to bite the bullet and hope that price drops over time and sail SY or OY.  That's what I've narrowed it down it.

Yes we have Oasis booked March 2022 with a few members from here including you. ?

We actually also have Anthem as an option if we want to drive to the port (still far, but doable)...plus we keep missing it and I really want to try Anthem.

That's why I'm thinking of booking the same two cruises for March 2023 and then if we get to go on one for March 2022, keep the other for March 2023. 

Like many on here, I'm one to book early and watch prices.  And for Oasis, we are more selective with the actual stateroom.

And to complicate things, DH wants to book Anthem Dec 2022....but if we did so, we wouldn't book March now.

Lol...nice that you have 2 bookings on Oassi next year.  That helps with making other bookings...so then are focusing on other ships. Limits the options. ?

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I double book on a refundable basis.  Once plans firm up I cancel the ones I don't want.  

Just keep track of dates and cancel well before final payment due date.  After final payment due date refundable deposit has no meaning and standard cancellation fees apply.  

Yes exactly.  We make a decision as we near final payment and cancel beforehand.

Good to hear others do this too.  I don't mind putting out money as long as it's refundable.  I think DH's issue is he is worried that cruise ships won't survive and we'll lose all our deposits (currently have 4 booked cruises).  I personally think they'll recover, at least the big ones like Royal. Now that a vaccine is in the picture, things will go back.  

29 minutes ago, GaryAA said:

I’m double booked in December 2021. I have a 12-day southern Caribbean on the Anthem out of Bayonne with a backup on the Symphony. I’ve had the Anthem booked for quite awhile but not sure longer cruises out of Bayonne will sail this year.

Right with you.  Had the same one booked since they were released, ended up booking the Oasis as a backup, and when the new Grandeur sailings released booked it as the backup to the backup. 

Ended up canceling Anthem/Oasis but starting to debate booking a new backup again ?

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

To be clear, I don't double book due to uncertainty related to the pandemic.  I often double book due to "ICan'tMakeUpMyMind-itis".

I often see two very compelling cruises and I can't decide which one to take so I book both while I think about it.

That comes into play also. It depends on whether I'm scuba diving or doing more laid back things so it is route dependent for me.

I double book for spring break cruises every year, as I never know which week in March it will be. I've gotten burned on my 2022 cruises though. I had booked refundable fares on Allure when it was supposed to come to Galveston and they automatically got moved to non-refundable Liberty of the Seas cruises when the Allure got cancelled.  My TA hasn't been able to fix it (yet).  I keep nagging and last time I checked she said Royal was focused on all the 2020/2021 cancellations and wouldn't get to it until later. The school schedules came out a few weeks ago and I wish I could cancel the latter one and get my $ back. I don't really want any more FCC that I can't use.

OK, now I feel really dumb for never thinking about double-booking. Guess I just assumed the system wouldn't let you have overlapping reservations. We have a 10-day cruise booked over Christmas 2021 and am a little nervous about CDC's whole "no cruises longer than 7 days" thing. May look into covering our bases and research refundable fares on one or two shorter cruises. 

I've just booked 2 B2B 7 night cruises for May ... within 60 days so had to pay full price.  I have always got the cruise with confidence 48hr cancellation full refund policy as a backup.  But, either I'll be moving my remote working from locked down ?? house to balcony on the Anthem OTS with panoramic views of the Fjords with great food on tap, or RCL suspends May sailings and gives me 125% FCC on full payment (suite and solo prices).  Win Win ?...

Screenshot_20210308-231520_Email.jpg

16 hours ago, em.down.the.rabbit.hole said:

I've just booked 2 B2B 7 night cruises for May ... within 60 days so had to pay full price.  I have always got the cruise with confidence 48hr cancellation full refund policy as a backup.  But, either I'll be moving my remote working from locked down ?? house to balcony on the Anthem OTS with panoramic views of the Fjords with great food on tap, or RCL suspends May sailings and gives me 125% FCC on full payment (suite and solo prices).  Win Win ?...

May has just been canceled, so 125% it is.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, GaryAA said:

I’m double booked in December 2021. I have a 12-day southern Caribbean on the Anthem out of Bayonne with a backup on the Symphony. I’ve had the Anthem booked for quite awhile but not sure longer cruises out of Bayonne will sail this year.

We are on a similar booking January 2022 on Anthem as our 11 nighter (and Diamond status) was pushed back from this year.   I am seriously considering booking a 7 nighter out of Florida for the same week just to cover my bases.   But those prices..........oh no !!!

2 hours ago, Va4fam said:

We are on a similar booking January 2022 on Anthem as our 11 nighter (and Diamond status) was pushed back from this year.   I am seriously considering booking a 7 nighter out of Florida for the same week just to cover my bases.   But those prices..........oh no !!!

I don’t like the prices either but then again we have not spent any money on cruises in the past year, that’s how I justify it anyway. 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Since CWC is no longer in play by then, I agree with @WAAAYTOOO.  As long as you book refundable, why not?

With CWC, I've been double booked all over the place lol

But as THE Suite Snob, aren't you losing your NRDs with the suites when you do end up canceling one or more of the double bookings? Teach this young Padawan! ?

13 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

But as THE Suite Snob, aren't you losing your NRDs with the suites when you do end up canceling one or more of the double bookings? Teach this young Padawan! ?

Sorry...I know I'm not THE suite snob...☺️

With CWC there is no $100 cancellation penalty.  That's why it's so awesome.  HOWEVER, you will get an FCC when you cancel and not a cash refund...so if you are unwilling to tie up the money in an FCC, this may not be a good choice.  Now....once CWC expires that will be a completely different story.  Then (if they keep the rules the same as they have been pre-plague) you WOULD be assessed the $100 PP cancellation fee if you cancel a full suite.  Then, holding multiple full suites knowing that some will have to be cancelled will no longer be the reasonable option that it is now.

@Baked AlaskaI will add that with my newer sailings that I've booked past April 2022, I have been more careful with the double bookings.  Instead of multiple deposits, I now have/had multiple holds, extended over time, until I could make up my mind what I actually wanted to deposit on.