Australian cruise ship ban extended

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Curious if there is any fear that colder weather could drive a return of the virus?

I've only heard it mentioned once in recent times. I suppose the hope is, the rollout will outpace any spread caused by colder weather.

Regardless, the system we have in place in the various states seems to be working. Some states have closed borders, others close their borders as and when breakouts happen in other states, and the states have excellent contact tracing when outbreaks occur, which are often accompanied by snap lockdowns of ~5days to cut off any further spread.

Hopefully by October a significant portion of the population will be jabbed up and we can look at tentatively, progressively, step-by-step, returning to international travel.

1 hour ago, KWofPerth said:

Given that Royal doesn't sail in the winter months, this extension has no impact. Besides, it was always on the cards, given the vaccine rollout has only just commenced.

Well yes, but if the ban was lifted you can bet there would be RC ships here earlier than scheduled.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Curious if there is any fear that colder weather could drive a return of the virus?

Possibly there is that fear, but for majority of the country our winters are quite mild. The vaccine rollout is powering along. 

On a positive note CLIA reports that talks with the government about a plan to restart cruising is progressing and even a news channel who has run several negative stories on cruising had a recent positive story. With all that is happening in Australia, I honestly believe we should see a resumption in cruising by September and Royal is well placed to fill the pent up needs to cruise. 

Princess has just cancelled sailings from the UK until September, we are currently under a travel ban until mid May, yet RC is still selling cruises from the UK for the beginning of May. There is something to be said for making a decisive decision as Princess have done rather than hanging on until the last minute and drip feeding cancelations through. Have to say my patience is wearing thin with RC. I'm due to cruise with them from the UK in 90 days, it isn't going to happen, just do the decent thing and cancel it.

Rant over