Passport only check in option / May Nav sailing

I've been trying to check in for a May 7 sailing out of FL and it has only been giving me the passport option for document type. I finally called today to see why I can't use birth certificate as an option and was told the system will only allow a birth certificate as an option for a closed loop sailing and (according to the rep) this sailing is in the system as cancelled so it's not labeled as a closed loop.....which is why I cannot select birth certificate.  Can anyone else with a May sailing see an option for birth certificate while checking in? 

Closed loop is a condition of birth certificates being accepted for US citizens.  One way cruises that start and end in different ports require a passport.  

I've already checked in for my May cruise so I can't go back and start over.

Navigator on May 7 still appears to be bookable yet they said it is canceled?  That's odd although that is the expected outcome from my perspective.  My cruise isn't on Navigator but I expect it to cancel any day now.

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

Closed loop is a condition of birth certificates being accepted for US citizens.  One way cruises that start and end in different ports require a passport.  

I've already checked in for my May cruise so I can't go back and start over.

Navigator on May 7 still appears to be bookable yet they said it is canceled?  That's odd although that is the expected outcome from my perspective.  My cruise isn't on Navigator but I expect it to cancel any day now.

Yes, the rep said it's cancelled but her reasoning didn't make sense to me at all because I've been unable to check in ever since final payment. While I do think it will be cancelled, I don't see how it would have been cancelled a few weeks ago so it still doesn't make sense to me as to why the system wouldn't let me check in.  

I can't check my children in with their birth certificates either. The rep told me to log out and back in to see if it's fixed, it wasn't. Then told me to try the app and it will not allow me to do anything. Then he told me to try a different device to log in. I'm like that's not going to make any difference if this issue is with the website, but I did it to humor the guy that obviously doesn't know what he's doing. That didn't work either so then I was put on hold for like forever. When he came back on he said it'll be fixed in 3 weeks. Smh!

I used a passport for my May 3 Navigator sailing, and to be honest I don't remember it giving me any options as to documents.  It may have and I just don't remember though.  I know, not a helpful answer.  

I fully expect the sailing to be canceled though...

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just checked in for a June round trip cruise from Florida and the only option for document was passport.

No surprise since passports are "in the system" and are easily verified electronically, as opposed to birth certificates that have been issued who knows where or when with no one standard/format.

5 minutes ago, SPS said:

No surprise since passports are "in the system" and are easily verified electronically, as opposed to birth certificates that have been issued who knows where or when.

It's going to be a surprise to anyone who had planned to cruise without a passport. ? 

CBP hasn't changed policy so this change appears to be a policy change that Royal is making.  Government issued birth certificates are legal documents that can be verified where and when they were issued. They lack only a photo so that is where the requirement to have a matching government issued photo ID comes in.  

These documents are not for the cruise line, they are for the purpose of immigration.  So as long as the law hasn't changed, it's curious that Royal won't accept what the government will accept - a birth certificate or an enhanced driver's license.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US 

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

These documents are not for the cruise line, they are for the purpose of immigration.  So as long as the law hasn't changed, it's curious that Royal won't accept what the government will accept - a birth certificate or an enhanced driver's license.

Hmm, that is curious, but, it does still keep me thinking about being able to electronically verify the documents being presented for check-in. I would think that the enhanced license could also be e-verified. Birth certificates are just not going to be as easy to verify online/through the app.

I'm not even sure of what the process would be. Would a scanned copy have to be "hand verified" by a RCG representative somehow?

Having a passport is just so much easier, but, I certainly understand why a family of travelers wouldn't want to go through the time and expense to get them for possibly one use or so.

19 minutes ago, SPS said:

Hmm, that is curious, but, it does still keep me thinking about being able to electronically verify the documents being presented for check-in. I would think that the enhanced license could also be e-verified. Birth certificates are just not going to be as easy to verify online/through the app.

I'm not even sure of what the process would be. Would a scanned copy have to be "hand verified" by a RCG representative somehow?

Having a passport is just so much easier, but, I certainly understand why a family of travelers wouldn't want to go through the time and expense to get them for possibly one use or so.

Passports are certainly easier and a lot wiser as well but that isn't the issue in front of us.

If only a passport is now acceptable for whatever the reason, the public needs to know that before they book a cruise.  Finding this out at check in doesn't leave a lot of time to scramble and get passports when they haven't been needed before.

22 minutes ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

So do we think it's a change in RC's policy or do we think that what the rep said was true and the check in system is showing these sailings as cancelled?

My June sailing is available for anyone to book on the public website.

It may not sail yet, but it certainly isn't closed/cancelled, yet.

It's been long enough since my last cruise, so please remind me...do you HAVE to check-in online?  If no, then this doesn't strike me as a policy change because you can still show up at the port with your birth certificate.  Making electronic check-in a convenience only available to those with passports would be a way to encourage more people to use passports but isn't exactly a policy change.

1 hour ago, Atlantix2000 said:

It's been long enough since my last cruise, so please remind me...do you HAVE to check-in online?  If no, then this doesn't strike me as a policy change because you can still show up at the port with your birth certificate.  Making electronic check-in a convenience only available to those with passports would be a way to encourage more people to use passports but isn't exactly a policy change.

Pre-COVID there was not a requirement to check in online.  It certainly sped things up if you did check in ahead of time, but it wasn’t required.

I checked in today for a June cruise which is certainly going to end up being cancelled, but when I checked in there was a banner that said that I would be required to download the app before boarding.  I’m sure this is so that you can do the online muster drill but it’s the first time I had seen the app required.  I hate the app and never used it before when cruising but I guess we will have no choice in the future.

57 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Pre-COVID there was not a requirement to check in online.  It certainly sped things up if you did check in ahead of time, but it wasn’t required.

I checked in today for a June cruise which is certainly going to end up being cancelled, but when I checked in there was a banner that said that I would be required to download the app before boarding.  I’m sure this is so that you can do the online muster drill but it’s the first time I had seen the app required.  I hate the app and never used it before when cruising but I guess we will have no choice in the future.

@WAAAYTOOOI hate the app too, you are the first I've read that agrees with me.

I find it difficult to use so I stopped trying and figured it was all me, thanks?

I'm thinking just another glitch in a long line of them. Like last week we couldn't pay balances we knew we owed. If it is a change in policy the need to announce it to the 4 corners of the world.  I'm actually surprised  it didn't happen sooner. I'm a boat captain and it was some years ago we were required to accept passport only. The Bahamians had no problem with birth certificate. Heck some offices gladly took  drivers licenses.  The problems mounted this side. We are required on docking to call customs and  declare all persons aboard with their passport numbers. For us, the smaller bot carriers they complicate it further. Passengers  need  to present them selves to a port or airport customs office to verify their passports within 24 hours of being cleared back in. We as crew avoid that headache (as we need to wash boat, fix stuff or clean fish) with what is called a Local Boater's Option. (LBO card).  Even the boat gets a decal like its own passport... If we are in a major port with that vessel we are required to carry yet another ID card called a TWIC... Regulations are indeed confusing they'll make your head spin... 

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I checked in today for a June cruise which is certainly going to end up being cancelled, but when I checked in there was a banner that said that I would be required to download the app before boarding.

I think I read somebody else mention this but it raises the question as to what happens if you don't own a smartphone? Even in these tech-mad days, not everyone does, so presumably there must be some allowance for that.

Also, from everything I've read so far, the e-muster can also be done on the stateroom TV meaning the app is not essential for that. So I wonder if that means there is some other reason for the app being required? 

23 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I think I read somebody else mention this but it raises the question as to what happens if you don't own a smartphone? Even in these tech-mad days, not everyone does, so presumably there must be some allowance for that.

Also, from everything I've read so far, the e-muster can also be done on the stateroom TV meaning the app is not essential for that. So I wonder if that means there is some other reason for the app being required? 

Clearly they are encouraging guests to download the app:

623005494_ScreenShot2021-03-16at8_11_14AM.thumb.jpg.893be4600f5c51048dd55bb0ea572b4f.jpg

However if you click the link for your SetSail pass it suggests this smartphone "requirement" isn't absolute.  The app will improve your experience but the app isn't an absolute hard requirement to sail.

259524852_ScreenShot2021-03-16at8_12_46AM.thumb.jpg.1031124c9b0c0ce281995aa87311f5d6.jpg

The smart thing to do is use the app if you can.  

If you drop your phone in the hotel on the morning of the cruise and it stops working they aren't going to deny you from boarding, it will just take a little longer.

12 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, it's for the muster drill; but, for tracking as well, in use for contact tracing.

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Perhaps to track? 

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

As an option, there are some pretty cheap Android phones available that could be used to connect to wi-fi without cellular service activated. Or someone could even borrow a used smartphone from a friend or family member that's had a recent phone upgrade to bring along. (Just a suggestion)