How would a vaccine AND mask mandate affect your decision to cruise?

I think I would be okay if both a vaccine and mask were required to cruise. As long as most of the regular cruise options are available, I would be okay. If there are no shows, limited entertainment, and the relaxing elements are changed then it makes it less worth it.  Especially if you are paying for sky class or higher. They can serve my buffet and limit capacity but not my fun.

I will absolutely cruise with other vaccinated people (and not go on a cruise with unvaccinated people), but a mask would be a deal breaker. I love cruising and the whole thing about mask wearing, social distancing, and limited onboard experiences doesn't sound like something I want to be a part of. It wouldn't really feel like a vacation given we are constantly wearing this thing on our face and the thought of not being around others on a ship is kinda weird, ruins the cruise experience IMO. Definitely willing to wait as long as possible until those restrictions are gone.

From Royal Caribbean's website:

If a certain threshold level of COVID-19 is detected onboard the ship during your voyage, the voyage will end immediately, the ship will return to the port of embarkation, and your subsequent travel, including your return home, may be restricted or delayed.

A vaccine mandate is a good thing. It significantly reduces the likelihood of an outbreak.

I'd say there's no wrong answer here. For some (like me) the compromises will likely outweigh the fun and joy of cruising for a "normal"-ish cruise with ports of call. But if it's an "out and back" to Coco Key or Labadee, I'd be far more likely go because I don't think I'd have the feeling of "missing out". 

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I think I would be okay if both a vaccine and mask were required to cruise. As long as most of the regular cruise options are available, I would be okay. If there are no shows, limited entertainment, and the relaxing elements are changed then it makes it less worth it.  Especially if you are paying for sky class or higher. They can serve my buffet and limit capacity but not my fun.

You summed it up better than I could. If the things that make cruising such an attractive vacation option are removed or reduced, is it worth it? 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:08 PM, emmef said:

other reason is because no vaccine has 100% efficacy.  95% efficacy does substantially cut down your risk of contracting the virus...but there is always that 5%.

Makes no sense.  So you think we should wear a mask for the rest of our lives.  Nothing is 100%.  People are just running scared.

1 hour ago, PaulRC said:

Makes no sense.  So you think we should wear a mask for the rest of our lives.  Nothing is 100%.  People are just running scared.

Yeah I don't think wearing a mask forever makes sense. Viruses are here to stay, masks aren't. Covid will become an annual shot just like the flu shot etc that people get, it just caught humanity totally offguard and humanity failed at controlling it hence the 2+ million deaths worldwide and counting. My thought around vaccines is, yeah I want to get it, but what's the point of being vaccinated if we have to still wear masks? Does the vaccine not work like we expect it to or do we just not know about the long-term impacts it has in actually preventing Covid transmission? Those who choose to not get vaccinated or cannot get vaccinated understand the risks that they are facing if they get Covid. I want to go on a cruise as bad as the next person but I also understand that if I am paying thousands and thousands of dollars, I don't want to be restricted from actually enjoying the vacation. Regardless of what happens on a cruise ship, masks or not, I am definitely wearing one on an airplane. Airplanes are gross IMO, cruise ships are not, IMO. It's too bad the cruise industry has such a bad rep and only those who are passionate about it truly understand how safe and clean it actually is. I have been on 12 cruises, and have gotten sick on 0. I have taken land vacations and I have gotten sick multiple times since the hygiene process on land is no where as strict and enforced/recommended like it is on cruise ships. Get me back at sea, but please get rid of the masks and social distancing if we are all fully vaccinated.

I'll weigh in here on masks although I'm just not hard over on these like some are and that's fine, not criticizing but, you did hit one nail on the head. The science is not yet certain that vaccines prevent transmission. The evidence is mixed but generally says, yes it does. It also says that there is not sufficient evidence that you cannot get re-infected after receiving the vaccine. Evidence does indicate that if you do get re infected, the viral load you will have is low making transmission much less likely. This is speculative at this point.

Masks just add one more layer of mitigation measures that are proven to be effective and, yes, masks tend to mitigate all the uncertainty. There is no question, none, despite what you can find on social media or from quackery, that properly designed and fitted masks prevent transmission of viruses that transmit via airborne mode including SARS-2 - the right one's of course. That's another subject.

In my onw case, I've gotten so used to putting them on when I enter a venue that requires them, I don't mind anymore. It's become habit. I have to admit, I have a set of masks in my man-bag that aren't exactly the best but they are comfortable and easy to get off and on. Virtue signaling? Probably. OTH, I am scrupulous about wearing a properly fitting surgical mask in airports and on airplanes and that will continue even as the pandemic fades.  

5 hours ago, Marlena said:

Very pro vaccinated cruises!

As for masks, can survive walking around / to dinner. But I will not wear one in the pool deck watching my daughter swim etc. Just doesn't seem like something I would enjoy and especially not something I want to pay $$$$ to do.

In new reports the CDC mention that after 1st dose it reduces the risk by 80% and that after 2nd dose the risk involved is reduced by 90% ..so in other words there is still a 10% risk of transmitting virus to someone else. 

The risk involved to children is apparently a lot less however children are not immune for virus and as reported in Feb this year the figure for child mortality in US due to covid is round about 250...

So as a parent or grandparent whats more important your childs saftey or your comfort? 

Theres no debate to this and anyone who tries to justify putting their or anyone else's children at risk doesnt .......will stop here as i would probably be banned for what i really want to say 

6 hours ago, Ray said:

The risk involved to children is apparently a lot less however children are not immune for virus and as reported in Feb this year the figure for child mortality in US due to covid is round about 250...

There have been 246 deaths among those aged 0-17 in the last 13 months, with many of those kids having some underlying condition.  The flu kills more than that in a single 6 month flu season. 

Me too!  Just turned 41 on March 1st, got vaccinated this past week and look forward to booking ODYSSEY OF THE SEAS soon for Nov or Dec out of Port Everglades! ?

On 4/2/2021 at 9:35 PM, cruisellama said:

We got the vaccine so we could travel.  For early cruising, I would put up with the mask.  

On 4/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, PaulRC said:

I'm not saying that at all. I am just saying that is one of the reasons why companies and some people believe we should still be wearing masks.  I would happily go without a mask, as I have had covid and have antibodies, however some are uncomfortable with risk (I am not one of them).  

I don't see it as running scared; that's somewhat inflammatory phrasing. It makes sense to require masks as a precaution until we have more data and confirmed studies. Better to err on the side of caution with fewer sick as a result rather than erring on the side of recklessness with more sick. They are working on the data and there are already some really promising preliminary conclusions.

I'm optimistic it won't always be needed but until then, I appreciate Royal Caribbean's strict mask policies because it makes it clear they care about the health of guests and employees above all. I already loved them and the way they've handled things during the pandemic makes me even more confident in them long-term. 

I'm scheduled on a cruise for 22 October and I wouldn't have booked it without the strict vaccination and mask requirements.

No issue with a vaccine requirement (And in fact would prefer it). As for the mask I would would probably wait until it isn't required. (We haven't had to wear them hear in New Zealand as we've been covid free for nearly a year now. It'd feel strange traveling somewhere to be on a boat where I had to wear one when i can stay here and not...). 

My wife and I won't be getting the vaccine for a whole list of reasons.

We won't be wearing masks either - this is a vacation.

Other than that we are Diamond, almost Diamond Plus and ready to get back to cruising.

Being tested before boarding is fine. We are counting on the hysteria being over soon and RC drops any crazy requirements.

12 hours ago, Barna said:

Other than that we are Diamond, almost Diamond Plus and ready to get back to cruising.

Being tested before boarding is fine. We are counting on the hysteria being over soon and RC drops any crazy requirements.

Fully vaxxed person here, could you let me know what these side effects are? Thanksss

12 hours ago, Barna said:

I have no problem with that.

I chose to get vaccinated primarily just to move the process along so we can get back to normal, but it sounds like you are clear in understanding and accepting the risks, in which case i would have no issues sitting next to you on a cruise.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd like to see it only in places with close and continuing contact like the auditorium or various events like trivia that get pretty packed.

Agreed, with the ship already at limited capacity it shouldn’t be hard. I think they need to think about consistency as far as the shows go and events go, I think it will almost be the same rules as for dining, if your butt is in a seat you won’t mask. 

I refuse to get vaccinated, and for one reason only.  There is zero science as to the long term effects of these vaccines and there will be no data for years to come.  I hope and pray my thoughts are incorrect, but this vaccine was run through the process way too quick.  Most vaccines have years of testing and approvals before they are out on the human market.  This is not the case for this vaccine because of the hysteria.

Also, I just refuse to wear a mask on vacation, especially while outdoors.  I am on vacation and want to relax, can't relax with a mask on.  Further, I would never under current conditions get off the ship due to the restrictions currently in place for excursions.  I have been cruising for years and know what I want to do on the various islands so I don't need a guided tour.

I love Royal Caribbean and miss cruising very, very much, (Diamond Plus C&A member), but cannot cruise under these conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

This latest CDC guidance that it's safe to walk around outside and take a bike ride without wearing a mask gives me a lot of confidence that I made the right decisions to do both actions many months ago and I'm glad I live in a free country where I was able to make those decisions for myself, by myself.

It may have taken the CDC a little long to reach the same conclusion I did but I'm confident they will eventually come to the same conclusion I have regarding cruise ships and how safe they are given the current situation.  Just wish I lived in a free country where I could make that decision for myself, by myself.  

5 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

Really hoping the CDC loosening up the outside rules for the vaccinated helps with the "masks on the pool deck" conversation.

This is the biggest single issue for me.  I have no problem with wearing a mask in indoor areas but will be unhappy if we are wearing masks outside.

10 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

This is the biggest single issue for me.  I have no problem with wearing a mask in indoor areas but will be unhappy if we are wearing masks outside.

With the ships sailing at 50% capacity, I’d be shocked if they enforced mask wearing on the pool deck now, or any other outdoor space. They’ve shown enough chutzpah now with the CDC that I’m sure they’re going to take that announcement and run with it. There’s more than enough space for proper distancing in those areas with such lowered capacity.

Only reason I could think of for why they wouldn’t is if the governments of the embarkation / destination ports (Nassau, Bermuda, etc) mandated it as a condition of being allowed to dock there and have passengers come in.

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

This latest CDC guidance that it's safe to walk around outside and take a bike ride without wearing a mask gives me a lot of confidence that I made the right decisions to do both actions many months ago and I'm glad I live in a free country where I was able to make those decisions for myself, by myself.

It may have taken the CDC a little long to reach the same conclusion I did but I'm confident they will eventually come to the same conclusion I have regarding cruise ships and how safe they are given the current situation.  Just wish I lived in a free country where I could make that decision for myself, by myself.  

The CDC statement was really weak considering the evidence on the vaccine effectiveness, and on Covid transmission outdoors.  Disappointed, but not surprised - they will be the last ones keeping this thing going when everyone else sees that it is over.  Their 15 minutes of fame has run for over a year.