How would a vaccine AND mask mandate affect your decision to cruise?

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Exactly figures haven't been released. It's largely believed at the start it will be closer to half, and then ramp up from there.

They also said the exact percentage will vary from ship to ship.

Of Course. When might it start ?

My cruise is in December on Allure.  (Hopefully Allure will not be to capacity) 

21 minutes ago, DD474 said:

Of Course. When might it start ?

My cruise is in December on Allure.  (Hopefully Allure will not be to capacity) 

That's going to be very interesting as well. If we have 100% vaccinations onboard the ships than why not sail at full capacity?  Which metric would they be looking at to gradually raise the capacity? I hope that they actually follow the science on this one as a whole because as of right now the vaccine is looking like its a miracle for how much protection that it actually gives you from becoming infected/spreading the virus. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Exactly figures haven't been released. It's largely believed at the start it will be closer to half, and then ramp up from there.

They also said the exact percentage will vary from ship to ship.

I wonder what procedure RCCL will use to reduce capacity: longest booked, highest cabin category, or by C&A level?

I spend almost no time on the pool deck, so mask mandate there wouldn't bother me.  Now if they tried to say I had to wear a mask on my private balcony...that would be a game changer.

No problem with vaccination once it is my turn (last in line)! Already had coronavirus, it sucked but no terrible problems/after effects.  My husband gave it to me and my son!

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

A reminder this thread is about going on a cruise

Are masks not an issue that has to do with cruising, Matt?

I think now multiple states lifting their mask mandate is newsworthy for the thread and cruising as a whole. I’m confused on why there would need to be a reminder here. 

Originally I was heavy on the side of team "I don't care as long as I am on a cruise" but as I actually sat and thought it through I am drifting towards the no side of the fence.

My original logic formed before the vaccine rollout and at that point wearing the mask seemed like a reasonable extension of what we see every day (side note the level of mask wearing proposed on board exceeds that required by State of Florida, but still reasonable so ok).

Throwing in the 100% vaccination requirement, although it doesn't change what the impact of wearing a mask on my daily activities/cruise enjoyment would be, does the change the "why". The whole point of 100% vaccination in my mind would be so that you wouldn't have to have heavy mask/distancing requirements.

At this point I would probably pass on the cruise under those conditions and hit a Florida hotel/resort where I can enjoy the pool without a mask, head to the restaurant/bar without a mask (while seated at table or bar) and do a Disney/Universal day (with mask), rather than a cruise ship where I have to mask pool side, mask everywhere else, only take masked ship provided excursions, etc. all while being around a reduced capacity group of people that have all had to prove they are vaccinated already.

One restriction or the other sure, but both just seems like overkill.

18 hours ago, Flopper said:

Are masks not an issue that has to do with cruising, Matt?

I think now multiple states lifting their mask mandate is newsworthy for the thread and cruising as a whole. I’m confused on why there would need to be a reminder here. 

108 migrants released by Border Patrol in Texas test positive for coronavirus, officials say

Texas city says it doesn't have authority to prevent migrants who test positive from traveling elsewhere

37 minutes ago, DD474 said:

108 migrants released by Border Patrol in Texas test positive for coronavirus, officials say

Texas city says it doesn't have authority to prevent migrants who test positive from traveling elsewhere

Can you please provide a link to the source article?  Thanks!

On 3/1/2021 at 1:13 PM, Flopper said:

Just being curious, if and when the no sail order is lifted, how would a vaccine and a mask mandate onboard affect your decision to cruise again? I'm very interested in seeing how things play out in Israel, I think their protocols will almost mirror the protocols for the U.S. 

if vaccine required, fully vaccinated ship, I would  not expect to see mandatory mask use.  This assumes all adults and crew vaccinated.  

IMO, only use for masks onboard under those conditions, would be if kids are not vaccinated.  The kids should be required to wear masks to prevent themselves from being exposed by another unvaccinated youth . 

1 hour ago, Zurc said:

Can you please provide a link to the source article?  Thanks!

The New York Post.

FOX NEWS

Yahoo/News 

NBCnews.com

Felipe Romero, a spokesperson for Brownsville, said Wednesday that the 108 positives represent 6.3% of the number of total migrants who have been rapid-tested at the city’s main bus station, where they are being released by the Border Patrol. Rapid testing of the individuals began there on Jan. 25. 

He added that Brownsville does not have the authority to prevent those who test positive from traveling elsewhere in the U.S. -- and are advising them to quarantine, follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and socially distance

15 minutes ago, Zurc said:

Matt,

Sorry I asked for the link of DD474 above.  You are right - it has nothing to do with cruising.  You can delete that post if you like.

Thanks!

The Port of Galveston TX would not be a safe port to board or exit a cruise ship at the moment.  (Wear a Mask). 

20 hours ago, Flopper said:

First, that news relates to the residents of those states.

Second, and more importantly, these sort of "discussions" always end up with anti-mask/wear a mask debates. It's a third rail of message board discussions. Every time.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

First, that news relates to the residents of those states.

Second, and more importantly, these sort of "discussions" always end up with anti-mask/wear a mask debates. It's a third rail of message board discussions. Every time.

You are correct.  My Mistake.   

Growing up in Boston, seeing the 3rd rail on the Red line... I know what you mean. ?

Thirdrail .jpgdangerwillrobinson-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Zurc said:

Matt,

Sorry I asked for the link of DD474 above.  You are right - it has nothing to do with cruising.  You can delete that post if you like.

Thanks!

Matt, I meant you can delete my post - not DD474's post  I am sorry for the confusion. If my post is not relevant to cruising, by all means delete it. Thanks for all you do

10 hours ago, Zurc said:

if vaccine required, fully vaccinated ship, I would  not expect to see mandatory mask use.  This assumes all adults and crew vaccinated.  

IMO, only use for masks onboard under those conditions, would be if kids are not vaccinated.  The kids should be required to wear masks to prevent themselves from being exposed by another unvaccinated youth . 

Spread by kids is extremely minimal.  The flu is a much more of a threat to kids than covid.

If a vaccine will allow me to cruise, fly on a plane and bypass quarantine upon my return to Canada I will probably do it. I hope the availability of vaccines in Canada will be available for me, hubby and son before our scheduled cruise next spring. With our province recently extending 2nd doses to 4 months I am a bit worried that the 2nd dose may not be given.  Like others, we had to delay a special celebration cruise to next year, so my fingers are crossed it all works out. 

I am already vaccinated and a mask doesn't bother me. In fact before the vaccine was available I was using a P100 filtered respirator since the findings were that permanent lung damage was possible and would end my ability to dive. 

My friend whom is going withme isn't eligible yet for the vaccine but will hopefully be eligible soon and able to get it. She was a nursing aid up until 6 months ago and had to wear a mask all the time so I doubt that will be an issue for her either. 

My only issue is being stuck to only cruise line sponsored excursions unless they plan to have someone dedicated to walking around the shops in the port is going to be a pain if you wanted to pick something up. 

On 3/4/2021 at 3:34 PM, Jax said:

If a vaccine will allow me to cruise, fly on a plane and bypass quarantine upon my return to Canada I will probably do it. I hope the availability of vaccines in Canada will be available for me, hubby and son before our scheduled cruise next spring. With our province recently extending 2nd doses to 4 months I am a bit worried that the 2nd dose may not be given.  Like others, we had to delay a special celebration cruise to next year, so my fingers are crossed it all works out. 

With a single dose you still have some protection. Probably similar to the single dose Johnson and Johnson vaccine. The second dose gets you to the higher percentage of coverage,  honestly i am surprised that the single dose vaccine wasn't tested as a double for the higher efficacy. 

The question of vaccine plus mask may be on the verge of becoming moot. The CDC has publicly stated today that fully vaccinated individuals can engage in indoor and other activity without a mask, as long as they are solely with others who are fully vaccinated or are in the "low-risk" category for transmission (have been isolating, limiting contact to a social bubble, etc.)

Now, this statement is probably written more in the context of, "My children, grandkids, and I are all fully vaccinated. Can I finally see them face-to-face, give them a hug and a kiss, and have a normal visit?" BUT, the cruise lines have a leg to stand if they say, "Well, we're mandating that all passengers be vaccinated. By your own science, if it's safe for everyone in a space to be together as long as they're fully vaccinated, then it's safe for everyone to travel together on the ship as long as they're all vaccinated. QED."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Will follow up my prior post with one caveat. The ability to not wear a mask would likely only apply while on board; when on a shore excursion or other time off-ship, then I imagine that masks will still be mandatory until enough of the population is vaccinated to make global maskless travel a possibility once again.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I would wear a mask if I had to. My wife and I are both fully vaccinated, and are enjoying being maskless around other vaccinated people (allowed by the CDC). I'm a little confused as to why masks are required if everyone has a vaccine. Perhaps it's because the under-16s are not.

The big issue for me is not being allowed off the ship on our own. That's a deal-breaker for me. Excursions are fun, but I don't want to be required to go on one. That said, we currently have five cruises booked, the earliest is this fall. God willing, we'll actually be able to go.

22 hours ago, Craig 01020 said:

Y I'm a little confused as to why masks are required if everyone has a vaccine. Perhaps it's because the under-16s are not.

That is one reason, the other reason is because no vaccine has 100% efficacy.  95% efficacy does substantially cut down your risk of contracting the virus...but there is always that 5%.

IMO, people who love cruising will do whatever is necessary to cruise again, ESPECIALLY without masks.  At least for the time being, proof of vaccinations AND a recent negative test should be required for all passengers and crew.  Then no masks should be needed.  A small price to pay so that everyone can enjoy their cruise as before.  You can’t please everyone.  Those who opt out will simply have to wait a bit longer to book a cruise.  There are plenty of people willing to comply to fill your ships.  TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION:  If both vaccination AND masks are required, this to me is too much of an intrusion on the cruise experience, and I will wait to cruise.  #1. This seems like overkill, and #2. I am hard of hearing and need to lip read somewhat to understand people and socialize in a noisy cruise environment.  

P.S. It’s important to remind people that vaccinations don’t 100% prevent Covid.  HOWEVER, of the 5% that may still contract it, #1. your viral load will be significantly reduced, thereby significantly reducing the likelihood that you will give it to someone else, and #2. you are much less likely to become severely ill and require hospitalization yourself.  That being the case, if everyone onboard is vaccinated, then even if someone does contract Covid while onboard, this should not result in an “outbreak” or be any more cause for concern than someone coming down with the flu.  The CDC should confirm this, and be an important distinction from the Covid of the past.  What’s most important to me is that the cruise lines make sure there are no loopholes whereby passengers can come onboard without proof of vaccination (such as forged vaccination cards or test results), and that non-compliance to onboard rules are strictly enforced.  As I’m sure you are aware, the PR effect of just one severe illness from an “outbreak” could be extremely detrimental to the industry, and affects ALL of us, cruise lines and cruise passengers alike.