How would a vaccine AND mask mandate affect your decision to cruise?

Just being curious, if and when the no sail order is lifted, how would a vaccine and a mask mandate onboard affect your decision to cruise again? I'm very interested in seeing how things play out in Israel, I think their protocols will almost mirror the protocols for the U.S. 

I plan on getting the vaccine as soon as it's available for me to get......and I've been masking it up at work for a long time now....so if they are required it won't bother me in the least.

I work in a supermarket and have for over 30 years.....I have never experienced a year like the one we just had....I am soooooo ready to go on a cruise again!!

My husband and I have talked about this A LOT lately. We (fingers crossed) have a cruise planned for November. We are already planning on getting the vaccine and have been really good about wearing masks in public (we had COVID this past November-he worse than me). If RC were to require masks, we would still go! I understand wearing a mask when you're inside (ie elevators, walking to your table at the MDR, etc).But, if you're outside and RC is only operating at 50% capacity, I don't think you should wear a mask IMO. I am in no way an anti-masker, but if you're outside and able to social distance, I think they shouldn't require a mask. Here in the states, we are lucky with the vaccine roll-out so far (please do not come at me for this with political BS). We live in NY and we may be the last group to get vaccinated, but we are hopeful that if people keep getting vaccinated, we should all be good to go!

Again, just my two cents! 

If either means we can finally get going again, I would do either. I do question the need to wear one outdoors or on the pool deck - but we went to Disney World with the masks being required unless actively eating or drinking, and it was annoying, but doable. I won't be thrilled with wearing one on the pool deck, but I will remedy that by ensuring I always have a drink in my hand. I am more worried about what the requirements for excursions will be. I don't want to have to be on a RC excursion to leave the ship. If that is a condition to sail again, they better start contracting with my favorite beach clubs and restaurants. 

17 minutes ago, Kayleigh said:

My husband and I have talked about this A LOT lately. We (fingers crossed) have a cruise planned for November. We are already planning on getting the vaccine and have been really good about wearing masks in public (we had COVID this past November-he worse than me). If RC were to require masks, we would still go! I understand wearing a mask when you're inside (ie elevators, walking to your table at the MDR, etc).But, if you're outside and RC is only operating at 50% capacity, I don't think you should wear a mask IMO. I am in no way an anti-masker, but if you're outside and able to social distance, I think they shouldn't require a mask. Here in the states, we are lucky with the vaccine roll-out so far (please do not come at me for this with political BS). We live in NY and we may be the last group to get vaccinated, but we are hopeful that if people keep getting vaccinated, we should all be good to go!

Again, just my two cents! 

I was just talking with my wife about our Dec cruise.  We are of the same mind.  Masking for ages now, I had covid in Dec thankfully she and our daughter didn't.  The vaccine seems to be helping with keeping numbers down.  I am hoping by Dec the mask requirements will be loosened, but I am not holding my breath on it.  I really hope the pool deck is a mask free zone when you are stationary in your deck chair or at a table.  The pictures of the Singapore cruises with masks on while lounging at the pool does not look like a good time.  

I am also not counting on the cruise to sail.   Until the testing phase has passed and cruise vacations start officially sailing again I am not going to get too excited for what ifs.

I plan on being vaccinated by the time our cruise comes around, I would just hope we wouldn't have to wear a mask the whole time which would not be ideal being outside in warm weather sweating under that thing. We will still be going either way, only time will tell!

I plan on getting the vaccine and would prefer that everyone on the ship has one as well, so that's no problem for me.

Masking depends on how far out we are talking about. 

Sailing in 2Q21, I'd expect it and accept it.  2H21 & 1H22, I'd do it, but feel it was senseless. After July 2022 I'd start thinking that this was a senseless exercise that would never end. At that point it might affect my enjoyment and decision to cruise going forward.

I can't wait to get my vaccine, and a vaccine mandate would go a long way in making me get back in to the petri dish world of mass market cruising. 

Masking? No. I wear a mask religiously, and I still travel for essential work (domestic and international) where I need to wear a mask for 20 to 30+ hours straight while flying around the world (including stops), so masks don't bother me. But, no way do I want to spend my vacation wearing one. I'd rather just wait until the need is gone and spend my vacation time/money on more low key things like lake cabins and national parks. 

I’m ok with having to have the vaccine to go, really doesn’t bother me.  Really would rather not have to wear the mask while on vacation.  We always have ours on while out in public now and really don’t mind it, half the time I forget it’s on...but really hoping by our next cruise we don’t have to wear them, that’s in 2022 though.

I'm still on the fence about the mask. But a staycation just doesn't cut it even though we're lucky enough to live in a place with good weather and gorgeous beaches...

My biggest concern about vaccination possibly being mandatory is that there is a very good chance I will not be able to get it in time for our cruise on Harmony in September, whereas there is a decent chance the other 3 people travelling with me will. I'm glad we are covered under CWC in the event that we would have to cancel because I couldn't meet the vaccination requirement. 

2 hours ago, steverk said:

I plan on getting the vaccine and would prefer that everyone on the ship has one as well, so that's no problem for me.

Masking depends on how far out we are talking about. 

Sailing in 2Q21, I'd expect it and accept it.  2H21 & 1H22, I'd do it, but feel it was senseless. After July 2022 I'd start thinking that this was a senseless exercise that would never end. At that point it might affect my enjoyment and decision to cruise going forward.

I tend to think along these same lines regarding the mask.  The vaccine isn't an issue as I get my 2nd dose Thursday.  I have one cruise on the books September 2022 assuming things will be close to normal and I'm looking at booking for October 2022 also.  Thinking of maybe December this year knowing there might still be a mask mandate at that time.  I get going back and forth on that one though.

18 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

But a staycation just doesn't cut it even though we're lucky enough to live in a place with good weather and gorgeous beaches...

We feel the same way about staycations.  I've had enough of them over the past year.  For some reason I always end up taking on multi-day projects around the house.

24 minutes ago, teddy said:

For some reason I always end up taking on multi-day projects around the house.

This exactly. Us too! We intended to get out and about last summer and do some of the things that the many tourists who visit the area do... Did we? Nope. Not even one.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm in! Can't wait.

For the first cruise back, of course! But what if you had let’s say 4 cruises in between Thanksgiving and February 2022. Would you be willing to hit ALL of your booked sailings with the double mandate? 

Hubby and I have been working throughout the pandemic, me in constant customer contact.  Masks all day every day.  We contracted Covid from his elderly parents (they got very sick & we rushed over to help) just before Christmas.  As a PP said, him worse than me.  Our first shots are Friday.  I’ve been to WDW for a week and another week in Central Florida both with masks.  It was fine and did not affect my trips at all.  We are just used to wearing one.  All this to say HELL YES!!  Stick a needle in my arm & a mask on my face.  I am ready and willing!!!

4 hours ago, DublinFC said:

I was just talking with my wife about our Dec cruise.  We are of the same mind.  Masking for ages now, I had covid in Dec thankfully she and our daughter didn't.  The vaccine seems to be helping with keeping numbers down.  I am hoping by Dec the mask requirements will be loosened, but I am not holding my breath on it.  I really hope the pool deck is a mask free zone when you are stationary in your deck chair or at a table.  The pictures of the Singapore cruises with masks on while lounging at the pool does not look like a good time.  

I am also not counting on the cruise to sail.   Until the testing phase has passed and cruise vacations start officially sailing again I am not going to get too excited for what ifs.

I just got my 2nd vaccination this past Friday,  my wife get's hers this Friday.   

We're book on Allure of the seas this December.   Hopefully thing's will be normal ? by then. 

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I am (honestly, I spend almost no time on the pool deck anyway except maybe getting a drink from the bar while walking around).

I spend little time on pool deck, so I do not really care about masks there.  I would go on a cruise with mask restrictions without a problem, and also just doing excursions with RC.   I am just ready to go!   8 cruises booked still........

If vaccines are required, it will limit the pool of eligible guests at least for 2021.   A majority of US guests won't even have the opportunity to be vaccinated until mid-late summer.    I believe Israel leads the world in percentage of population inoculated (but a small market).   I read that based upon their stats, the vaccine they use is 92% effective.    Less developed countries with limited medical logistics systems will take even longer to get their populations inoculated. 

But if we're only going to see 1 or 2 ships sale (per cruise line) from a US port this year, a vaccine requirement would probably fit that limited back to sail strategy.

There are a lot of variables at play. I recall seeing something about drinking at bars only, that's a deal breaker.

Masks: if it is 24/7 outside cabin maybe, but if that's including a pool lounger, sorry, I'm out. If I cannot enjoy a drink on my lounger, I'm out. What's the point of taking in vitamin D with the mask on. For us, the pool deck, including hanging on the loungers, is a big way we spend a day at sea.

Vaccine: take it or leave it. I'm not anti-vax and will probably get it when it's my turn (last). Mainly to put my in-laws minds at ease and of course the suspicion places will ask for a "vax pass." As others my wife gave it to me after treating a C+ patient volunteering as an EMT. We had symptoms but nothing major, just felt like crap, fever, aches, etc.

Edit: I don't see my September Oasis out of NJ sailing anyway.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Add

5 minutes ago, DD474 said:

What about ship capacity ?  

Does anyone know if RCCL ships will sail 1/2, 3/4 of full capacity ?

Exactly figures haven't been released. It's largely believed at the start it will be closer to half, and then ramp up from there.

They also said the exact percentage will vary from ship to ship.