Opinion on L&S to Granduer of the Seas

Background:  We have a family of 4 booked in a grande suite on Adventure OTS on 6/3/21.  My 2 kids are booked via kids sail free.  Final payment is due on 3/4.  

If I make final payment and Royal cancels the cruise (I don’t see how it could sail at this point), then I would have the option to L&S to June +\- 4 weeks in 2022.  

Dilemma:  Granduer is going to be the only option during that time frame for a 5 nt cruise out of Galveston in 2022.  (It’s also priced at $2800 more than what we paid.)  We live 1 hour from Galveston and the only other option would be to fly to TPA for Radiance.  I don’t want to do that.  

What are your opinions on Lady G?  Kids will be 4 and 8 at the time of sailing in 2022.  We have been on Enchantment OTS 6X and we all love it.  So we are well aware of it being an older smaller ship.  Appears to be a bit smaller than Ench. but has Giovanni’s and Izumi as a bonus compared to just Chops on Enchantment.  

I appreciate any input...

We were on a 5N to Bermuda on Grandeur back in 2018.  We were supposed to do a 9N Canada on her in 2020,but COVID.  We enjoyed the atmosphere on the ship and you really get to know all the staff and really interact with them. Being a smaller and older ship, she doesn’t have as many perks, but we don’t do speciality dining or amenities that are “extra” so we don’t really pay attention to those offerings on any ships.  

we also only do inside rooms so not sure what the suites would offer.

we would totally sail on her again if the opportunity arose.

hope that helps.

Stay Safe

1 hour ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

Background:  We have a family of 4 booked in a grande suite on Adventure OTS on 6/3/21.  My 2 kids are booked via kids sail free.  Final payment is due on 3/4.  

If I make final payment and Royal cancels the cruise (I don’t see how it could sail at this point), then I would have the option to L&S to June +\- 4 weeks in 2022.  

Dilemma:  Granduer is going to be the only option during that time frame for a 5 nt cruise out of Galveston in 2022.  (It’s also priced at $2800 more than what we paid.)  We live 1 hour from Galveston and the only other option would be to fly to TPA for Radiance.  I don’t want to do that.  

What are your opinions on Lady G?  Kids will be 4 and 8 at the time of sailing in 2022.  We have been on Enchantment OTS 6X and we all love it.  So we are well aware of it being an older smaller ship.  Appears to be a bit smaller than Ench. but has Giovanni’s and Izumi as a bonus compared to just Chops on Enchantment.  

I appreciate any input...

I recently did two  L+S for cancellations.  One was almost three times the price we paid and  we got it with jus a couple hundred upcharge for taxes and port fees.  The other I consider to be a slight down grade (Indy to Mariner) and I trade Jamaica  for Nassau... That trip was a few hundred more than the one I had but they honored as well ...

Grandeur is a fine ship that developed a very loyal following in Baltimore due to the excellent service and onboard experience.

Having said that... when compared to Adventure for kids it doesn't have as much to offer for this age group.  

That's due to the Voyager class in general which Adventure is part of being significantly larger with more space for activities that appeal to kids such as water slides and ice skating for example.

Don't assume your options are limited to just the L&S choices that are officially in the L&S program or just those offered on a website.  Throughout this pandemic I have been able to move cruises to other ships, dates and regions that aren't part of the official L&S program.  I should say my travel agent has been able to do that for me which is one of advantages of using a travel agent.  However even on your own it's easy to assume the only option is what you see online but if you call and talk to them you may find other options appear. 

Basically they seem to be motivated to keep deposits and bookings by sometimes going past the official L&S program.  It never hurts to ask.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:12 AM, twangster said:

Grandeur is a fine ship that developed a very loyal following in Baltimore due to the excellent service and onboard experience.

Having said that... when compared to Adventure for kids it doesn't have as much to offer for this age group.  

That's due to the Voyager class in general which Adventure is part of being significantly larger with more space for activities that appeal to kids such as water slides and ice skating for example.

Don't assume your options are limited to just the L&S choices that are officially in the L&S program or just those offered on a website.  Throughout this pandemic I have been able to move cruises to other ships, dates and regions that aren't part of the official L&S program.  I should my travel agent has been able to do that for me which is one of advantages of using a travel agent.  However even on your own it's easy to assume the only option is what you see online but if you call and talk to them you may find other options appear. 

Basically they seem to be motivated to keep deposits and bookings by sometimes going past the official L&S program.  It never hurts to ask.

Thanks so much!  I appreciate your insight!

I will give them a call tomorrow.