The Pesky Years

deep1

The good lord knows I tried to get my Fiance's two teens out before 18 happens. Sadly next week we lose that battle with one. When we finally board (hopefully November)  she's gonna be trapped in that dark "tween zone" . Can't hang at the teen club and can't drink in the adult clubs. Finding stuff to do on a shop the size of Symphony  isn't as much of an issue as how or where she can meet others also in that "void" . Do they have meet and greets for that forgotten demographic?  Little brother will still qualify for teen club in November and they are really close. Splitting them up is gonna suck. Anybody been through this and have any insight? 

I took a tween on a cruise both when she was eligible for the teen program and after she was no longer young enough to participate but too young to drink.

Granted she didn't have a sibling in the program but she never took to the teen hangout thing.  

On the subsequent cruise she did want some independence which was hard on me.  Suddenly the ship was 18 times larger than it had been in the past.  When she didn't always answer her texts right away it got a little bigger.  She didn't want to hangout with me, I get that, but it's very hard to let them go off on their own even if it is just to the gym.  

In the end it worked out fine despite a few more silver hairs.  

You know your kid better than anyone here.  There is no one answer that applies for all tweens.

On some cruise lines (I'm thinking of Disney here) they have the 1820 club where people of that age can hang out. I believe NCL has that option too. 

One option is to join the FB group for that particular cruise and see if other people that age are going. Or have your daughter look on her own apps (whatever the kids are using these days) and I'm sure there will be people.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Nope

I would think someone of that age might want to 

1. Sleep in
  2. Sun tan
  3. Hang by the pool and see the fun there
  4. All of the above while on social media

Ahem!... That might be closer to me if you toss in fishing off my balcony, planting "pirate coins" at Coco Cay,  bringing my own real gold nuggets to those "Panning excursions in Alaska"  or dragging a fishing lure off the stern .?  She's top of her class type. Previous trip she had a fantastic time at the teen club . Not so much the club itself but it was a point she could meet people and then go make the most of the ship.  By day she did day things(And loved em)  but this is more about the night life... Just a simple meet and greet would go a ling way. Why not? They have em for alternative lifestyle groups, recovery groups, seniors, I think I have even seen for various trades?  She's quite the leader once she breaks the ice.  Just needs that little foot in the door. Her brother could create a crowd from thin air... Really outgoing type. He hasn't cruised yet but I'm preparing  counter measures to reel him in...  Especially since he will have access to the teen club... Considering microchips and shock collars for him... 

6 hours ago, foxrunner said:

Could she bring along a friend? Financially that could be rough, but maybe the friend could foot some of the bill.  

That will likely happen for next spring cruises... We left little brother home a couple years ago so he needs to go this time. She is class Valedictorian. He is opposite end  and really deserves to be benched but fair is fair...

50 minutes ago, GaryAA said:

We had our 18 year old daughter (senior in high school) bring a friend of hers. We shared a suite with the 2 eighteen year olds. We assured the friends parents we would keep their daughter safe. Things worked out well.

We will likely do that on our spring runs. For now though this next run is her and her brother... 

We've taken our boys (now 23 & 21) on a few cruises while one/both were of the 18-20 age and they had plenty of fun.  They enjoyed the adult comedy in the evenings, hung out at the Schooner Bar with me, watched the movies on the top deck, and spent a lot of time hanging out at Sorrentos.  Mine had each other so they didn't need to find friends, and when one was too old for teen club & the other wasn't, the older joined them in the "out of the club" activities like playing cards in the card room or listening to live music/karaoke.