Opinions on Oceanview Panoramic View Suite (particulary on Adventure)

Steve_

Hi,

Diamond cruiser here (diamond plus after the next sailing whenever that is!).  
We mostly sail in Grand Suites lately.  We are considering an Oceanview Panoramic View Suite on Adventure overlooking the front of the ship.  

Interested to hear if anyone has tried these rooms forward facing.  One of our concerns is if we are going to hear a lot of wind noise.  Since there is no balcony door, we suspect this won't be bad at all.  Other than the balcony, I am curious to hear what others find as pros/cons of the room.  

I know this category exists on other ships and I think they are not always forward facing, so still happy to hear feedback on the room.  

Nice views.  That's what has me thinking about it. 

Since the sailing we are looking at we don't anticipate we'll be using the balcony much (or at all) with the lower temps, this is half the cost of the Grande and we won't be using the balcony so this seems like a nice option.  But we haven't done a non balcony room in ... well, since our first sailing ever!  But this is no port hole view either! 

I had 3 of these rooms booked. All cancelled due to covid. I too thought it was a fantastic option. Newer, more modern room, lots of space, fantastic views, refundable suite option, and full suite benefits. However, I might be the minority here in saying this, but I have since given up on booking this room for the time being. With covid protocols so unknown, even once cruising starts, I want a balcony just in case. I passed on this room recently with my new Adventure and Freedom bookings.  I have one booking remaining with this category of room. It’s November 2021 on Navigator. Even if it does sail and I can get out of Canada, I might be moving to a GS or OS instead. We’ll see.

We sailed this room on Mariner fall 2019 and I loved it.  The location is great, there is hardly any reason for folks to be above or below you.

Having the additional half bath and the sitting area makes this a go to for me going forward, with @Lovetocruise2002's caveat about the Covid protocols and lack of balcony nagging at the back of my mind along the way. 

We had the portside room, a few more visuals are attached.

20191116_184459.jpg

20191116_184506.jpg

20191116_184509.jpg

20191116_184513.jpg

20191116_184516.jpg

We currently have 5 sailings booked, 4 in the grand and 1 junior suite.  But after @Lovetocruise2002’s comments concerning Covid, i might have to stick with a room with a balcony.  

While we were looking at late 2022, hopefully the Covid nightmare will be behind us.  But that is going to be something we think about before we book now as even a short cruise can be kept at sea, denied debarkation, etc.  the balcony in a bad situation can make the difference.  

As @WAAAYTOOOsaid, they seem to be a great value. All of the sailings I looked at, they seemed to be about 50% of the Grand suite and either just above or just below the junior suite by less than $100.  

thanks for all the additional pics.  

Havent tried the suite but did try one of the regular panoramics on Mariner.

Very pleased with it, missed the balcony a bit but it was a short cruise and a short walk to the solarium so not a big deal.

Didnt notice any wind noise at all, actually very very quiet ...

I will say that i was surprised to realize that you can see in through the windows (not sure why that surprised me since they are made of a transparent material called glass but hey ...)

Standing in the window on embarkation day and realized people were waving at me from the deck below ... glad i realized that at the start of the cruise while still fully dressed, etc.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

I will say that i was surprised to realize that you can see in through the windows (not sure why that surprised me since they are made of a transparent material called glass but hey ...)

Standing in the window on embarkation day and realized people were waving at me from the deck below ... glad i realized that at the start of the cruise while still fully dressed, etc.

I have heard a few other stories where it did not go so well. ?

I visited one of these cabins on our 2019 Thanksgiving cruise on Adventure. I really liked it. Lovely room and gorgeous views. And while I also agree with the idea that it might be better to have a balcony because of Covid, the sheer amount of space in this room would make it a really tough decision.

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I visited one of these cabins on our 2019 Thanksgiving cruise on Adventure. I really liked it. Lovely room and gorgeous views. And while I also agree with the idea that it might be better to have a balcony because of Covid, the sheer amount of space in this room would make it a really tough decision.

Agreed on space.  But it is only slightly larger than the Grand Suite.  But it is also about 50% less the cost of a Grand Suite. 

I talked with my wife about the concern of no balcony during this covid nightmare, and we are going to pass on this even for a short sailing.  Due to the way the US government has handled ships with potential cases it is not a pleasant thought to have extra time stuck at sea or docked and confined to a cabin with no balcony.  But I will gladly entertain this option again for a short sailing where we expect temperatures not to be the best for the use of the balcony. 

I do wonder if the price has dropped due to covid and this reason.  As I have seen these in the past, but I have never given them a second thought and I assume that is because the price difference was not dramatic.  But when I look now at see a 50% difference, it does make me question if in a suite, do I need the balcony on certain sailings? But given our current environment that we all find ourselves in and as discussed, we are leaning towards making sure we have a balcony.  We are undecided on the sailing we were looking at, but as it is a short sailing, we may opt for a junior suite instead of the Grand as it is about the same price as the panormacic suite. 

Sometimes the price difference makes sense, some times it doesn't.  Depends on itinieray, time of year (weather) and our anticipate port excusions (who knows during the covid world for sure). 

Thank you all for the feedback.   I am glad I posted as we have both decided we want to try this category at some point if the price seems right, but during covid the timing doesn't seem appropriate to us.  So thank you for highlighting that concern!  Something we may not have thought about until too late. 

I have one of these book on Navigator for March of 22. This will be our first time in a suite of any kind.

I have two questions:

1. What tips do you frequent star-class cruises recommend for us being in a suite for the first time?

2. How difficult is it to add another passenger to the existing reservation? (booked directly with Royal)

36 minutes ago, Steve_ said:

I do wonder if the price has dropped due to covid and this reason.  As I have seen these in the past, but I have never given them a second thought and I assume that is because the price difference was not dramatic.  But when I look now at see a 50% difference, it does make me question if in a suite, do I need the balcony on certain sailings? 

Hmm...this is interesting and makes me wonder as well. As I mentioned before, I have always been interested in this suite for the reasons you already mentioned. However, I don’t recall pricing ever being that much lower compared to a GS. When this category became eligible for full suite benefits (it was not always the case) the pricing flip flopped between slightly lower than a JS and sometimes higher than a JS, but 50% less than a GS does make me wonder about the logic behind that.

Either way, I am glad that you were able to make a decision.  I am of the same mindset as you. I have in no way written this category of room off completely, just for now in our current situation. I still think there great value to this suite. 

55 minutes ago, micahd said:

I have one of these book on Navigator for March of 22. This will be our first time in a suite of any kind.

I have two questions:

1. What tips do you frequent star-class cruises recommend for us being in a suite for the first time?

2. How difficult is it to add another passenger to the existing reservation? (booked directly with Royal)

The RSC isn't available on Vo-class ships, as well as Vi-class, F-class, or R-class. Just O-class and Q-class.

59 minutes ago, micahd said:

The ability to add guests can vary with several factors.  It depends how many are booked now and fare type, when you booked and how pricing is trending.  The easiest way to know is to call and ask "what if...".  No commitment to ask.

1 hour ago, micahd said:

I have two questions:

This suite being discussed in this thread is Category VP. It does not qualify for Star class. There also is no star class available on Navigator. 

1 hour ago, micahd said:

While not Star as others have noted as far as being in a full suite on Navigator when you reach the terminal to check in look for the "Suites" signs if there are any.  Pre-pandemic most of the time suites have priority check in and will be called to board before the masses.

On board you will have access to the Suite Lounge and dedicated seating areas on the pool deck or one deck up really.  The suite lounge has traditionally hosted a complimentary happy hour from ~ 5pm to 8:30pm featuring beer, wine and select cocktails from a specific happy hour drink menu.

The suite lounge has a coffee maker that can various types of "fancy" coffees and there will be a continental breakfast available.  A full service breakfast is typically offered in a specialty restaurant for suite guests.

There will be a letter in your cabin explaining all the perks.  

We are waiting to see how pandemic protocols will change life on board and how long that lasts.  Hopefully those will be gone by the time your cruise begins.

Lastly, you should earn more points for being in a suite and even more with the double promo.  If those don't post correctly call Crown and Anchor.  Sometimes they don't post properly. 

20 hours ago, Steve_ said:

Interested to hear if anyone has tried these rooms forward facing.  One of our concerns is if we are going to hear a lot of wind noise.  
 know this category exists on other ships and I think they are not always forward facing, so still happy to hear feedback on the room.  

we had one on the freedom a couple of years ago , LOVED IT !!!!! spent a lot of time in the window ❤️ , just know if you have lights on at night you MUST keep curtains pulled , it interferes with the bridge. Freedom's are deck 12 , we had a lot of movement open ocean , I was raised on an island 30 miles out to sea , have spent a LOTS of time on boats big and small and it was the first time I have ever been sea sick ? but I put on a couple for wrist bands , took a couple of pills and it was fine ?

2 hours ago, micahd said:

I have two questions:

1 - The concierge will help you with all your needs.  They will reach out to you by email 1-3 weeks before sailing and ask how they can help.  They will help you with dining reservations, shows, there are reserved seats for suite guests in the shows, my wife and I enjoy the concierge lounge before dinner for some light food and drinks which are included, they will also help with shore excursions.  Basically anything you would go to guest services for, they can help without going to stand in line, and they get to know you. 

As for your second question, personally I have never done this.  But from what I understand is you are better to add them early as ships have a capacity limit.  So even though a room may have a capacity of 4, if the ship is at it's capacity you may not be able to add an additional person.  You can easily take a person off (prior to final payment though).  So what I've always heard is add the person earlier, even if you use a fake name and change the name later.  Even with covid, the speculation is ships will be sailing 50-70% full, but there will be a capacity limit.  But as far as adding someone, it is quite easy as long as the room has the capacity and the sailing isn't at capacity, just calling Royal (or travel agent) and having a 3rd or 4th person added to the booking.  They can even put the charges for the additional person on a separate credit card if that is something you want to do.  Quite easy as long as you don't hit the capacity issue.

1 hour ago, dee02554 said:

we had one on the freedom a couple of years ago , LOVED IT !!!!! spent a lot of time in the window ❤️ , just know if you have lights on at night you MUST keep curtains pulled , it interferes with the bridge. Freedom's are deck 12 , we had a lot of movement open ocean , I was raised on an island 30 miles out to sea , have spent a LOTS of time on boats big and small and it was the first time I have ever been sea sick ? but I put on a couple for wrist bands , took a couple of pills and it was fine ?

Fingers crossed ... never been sea sick. And have been on 3 sailings where a lot of the crew was down for the count.  One sailing the wine steward (remember them? I think I just dated myself) almost spilled the bottle on me.  We had the last table at the back of the dining room and the wine steward as well as the dining staff had a very challenging night.  We literally watched a couple of the wine glasses sliding across the table it was so rough.  There were 8 of us traveling, 5 made it to dinner, 3 finished dinner together.  I have never seen main dining as empty as that night.  Had to be 25% filled, if that.  Fun times at sea! But it's a toss up for 2nd or 3rd roughest sailing for me, but probably 3rd, but quite memorable.  

Oh... I am so ready to get back to sea!

11 hours ago, Steve_ said:

Oh... I am so ready to get back to sea!

it was a 11 day Southern ABC , crossing the sea of Cortez , just me ? , But what an amazing color blue ? , walking by the blast furnace at work yesterday I could ALMOST close my eyes and pretend I was on deck with a warm breeze off the ocean. ? almost. we're not booked again until 02/22 but it's a 2BR suite with our 2 oldest Grands , it will be their first cruise so we're all excited

19 minutes ago, micahd said:

Thanks to @twangsterand @Steve_for the helpful answers. We've never been able to get a suite before so I'm not as familiar with all the class breakdowns.

We'll be adding a baby to the fam this summer so we'll have to try and add to the reservation after that. Hoping for a kids sail free promo we can jump on at some point.

The earlier you book, the better rates you have.  And if a promo comes up with a better rate, you can always rebook before final payment.  I've done that multiples for the same cruise some times, but usually the price goes up.  And you can put a fake name for the 3rd person and just change the name later.  The rule for changing names is one person on the reservation must remain on the reservation, so you can't change everyone's name.  Or at least this is what I've been told.  So not sure about the new addition's name, put a parent or siblings name down for now to have it set for 3 people.  Then change the name later.  And of course keep checking for promotions all the time.

My understand when adding the 3rd person, that the rate is already determined on the 1st and 2nd person, so the room rate isn't recalculated even if pricing has gone up.  It's based on whatever percentage 3rd and 4th person is charged at.  But to be sure there is no issue with rates by adding a 3rd person when you book, you are then only dealing with changing the name.  Talk with the person you booked through as I'm sure they've dealt with it and can tell you much better than my understanding.

And congratulations!! 

23 minutes ago, micahd said:

Thanks to @twangsterand @Steve_for the helpful answers. We've never been able to get a suite before so I'm not as familiar with all the class breakdowns.

We'll be adding a baby to the fam this summer so we'll have to try and add to the reservation after that. Hoping for a kids sail free promo we can jump on at some point.

Here is the actual concierge letter from Navigator outlining all the suite benefits on that ship.  Keep in mind this is pre-covid so not sure how any of this will change:

Dear Suite Guest,

It is my pleasure to welcome you onboard the beautiful Navigator of the Seas. We are honored that you have selected Royal Caribbean International for your cruise vacation.

My name is ______ your Concierge onboard. I am available to assist you with any special requests you may have throughout your cruise vacation. My hours in the Concierge
Lounge are daily from 8:00 am to 11:00 am and 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm.

As a Suite guest, you are offered exclusive amenities and services not available to other guests onboard Navigator of the Seas. For your convenience,

here is a brief summary of those services:

·        Use of the Concierge Lounge, Deck 9 aft.
·        Spa Bathrobes for use onboard.
·        Upgraded amenities for the bathroom.

·        Complimentary pressing service for the first Formal night.
·        Continental Breakfast served daily in the Concierge Lounge, From 7:30 am to 10:00 am
·        Hors d'oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary bar setup served in the lounge every evening before and after dinner from 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
·        A la Carte Breakfast served daily in Chop’s Restaurant on Sea Days from 8:00 am to 10:00 am and in Port days from 7:00 am to 9:00 am.
·        Daily menus displayed and pre-ordering for your dinner wine.
·        Limited VIP lounge chair set-up near the Pool Bar area between Decks 11 and 12 ( no chairs reservation ).
·        Full Dining Room room-service privilege (available when Dining Room is open).
·        Reservations for any of our specialty restaurants, sports activities, Shore excursions! Salon and Spa services, etc.
·        Our new additions i.e. Chef's Table, Sabor, Giovanni’s Table, Izumi  Restaurant ,Chops Grille ,get booked early, to avoid disappointment we suggest you make your reservations early.
·        Arrangements for private parties.

·        Reserved private seating during breakfast and lunch in Chop’s Grill restaurant (please see your service personnel for directions).
·        Business services such as copies, etc.
·        Cocktail party hosted by the Captain (invitations will be sent).
·        Reserved VIP seats for production shows the suite area will be open 15 minutes prior to show time (please show Cruise Director’s staffs your Gold SeaPass card at the entrance).

The Concierge Lounge is a private area accessible on a 24 hour basis with your Sea Pass Card.

We respectfully request that guests follow a smart casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times).
To ensure all our guests are able to enjoy this exclusive lounge we require that all guests 21 years and younger must be well behaved and accompanied by a parent

or guardian at all times.

Please come and see me in the Concierge Lounge or contact me by dialing 8903 from any vessel’s phone. If there is any way I can be of assistance to make your cruise vacation
more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask. We hope you will have the vacation of a lifetime onboard the Navigator of the Seas.

25 minutes ago, micahd said:

Unless it has changed, you need at least 3 on the reservation to hold the price.  With 2 adding a 3rd, you will get re-priced to whatever the prevailing rate is.

29 minutes ago, micahd said:

I think that some people have added a child to their reservation with a name like "baby1" just to secure the rate.  If you already have a 3rd or 4th on the booking that *should* lock in the rate for additional guests so it doesn't matter.  Names for the additional guests can be changed later, only the primary guest can't change names.

Keep in mind kids need to be 6 months old to sail but that looks like you'll be okay based on timing.

Congratulations on the addition to the family.

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Here is the actual concierge letter from Navigator outlining all the suite benefits on that ship.  Keep in mind this is pre-covid so not sure how any of this will change:

Dear Suite Guest,

It is my pleasure to welcome you onboard the beautiful Navigator of the Seas. We are honored that you have selected Royal Caribbean International for your cruise vacation.

My name is ______ your Concierge onboard. I am available to assist you with any special requests you may have throughout your cruise vacation. My hours in the Concierge
Lounge are daily from 8:00 am to 11:00 am and 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm.

As a Suite guest, you are offered exclusive amenities and services not available to other guests onboard Navigator of the Seas. For your convenience,

here is a brief summary of those services:

·        Use of the Concierge Lounge, Deck 9 aft.
·        Spa Bathrobes for use onboard.
·        Upgraded amenities for the bathroom.

·        Complimentary pressing service for the first Formal night.
·        Continental Breakfast served daily in the Concierge Lounge, From 7:30 am to 10:00 am
·        Hors d'oeuvres, petit fours and complimentary bar setup served in the lounge every evening before and after dinner from 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm.
·        A la Carte Breakfast served daily in Chop’s Restaurant on Sea Days from 8:00 am to 10:00 am and in Port days from 7:00 am to 9:00 am.
·        Daily menus displayed and pre-ordering for your dinner wine.
·        Limited VIP lounge chair set-up near the Pool Bar area between Decks 11 and 12 ( no chairs reservation ).
·        Full Dining Room room-service privilege (available when Dining Room is open).
·        Reservations for any of our specialty restaurants, sports activities, Shore excursions! Salon and Spa services, etc.
·        Our new additions i.e. Chef's Table, Sabor, Giovanni’s Table, Izumi  Restaurant ,Chops Grille ,get booked early, to avoid disappointment we suggest you make your reservations early.
·        Arrangements for private parties.

·        Reserved private seating during breakfast and lunch in Chop’s Grill restaurant (please see your service personnel for directions).
·        Business services such as copies, etc.
·        Cocktail party hosted by the Captain (invitations will be sent).
·        Reserved VIP seats for production shows the suite area will be open 15 minutes prior to show time (please show Cruise Director’s staffs your Gold SeaPass card at the entrance).

The Concierge Lounge is a private area accessible on a 24 hour basis with your Sea Pass Card.

We respectfully request that guests follow a smart casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times).
To ensure all our guests are able to enjoy this exclusive lounge we require that all guests 21 years and younger must be well behaved and accompanied by a parent

or guardian at all times.

Please come and see me in the Concierge Lounge or contact me by dialing 8903 from any vessel’s phone. If there is any way I can be of assistance to make your cruise vacation
more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to ask. We hope you will have the vacation of a lifetime onboard the Navigator of the Seas.

I forgot about the breakfast.  One of the favorites of ours!

My wife I are not buffet people.  And we don't like do main dining for breakfast as it just takes so long!  But breakfast in chops is great for the suite guests.  Can take your time if you like, or they help to get you out quickly if you prefer.  And much more attentive than main dining! 

1 hour ago, Steve_ said:

I forgot about the breakfast.  One of the favorites of ours!

My wife I are not buffet people.  And we don't like do main dining for breakfast as it just takes so long!  But breakfast in chops is great for the suite guests.  Can take your time if you like, or they help to get you out quickly if you prefer.  And much more attentive than main dining! 

I agree with you.  Suites breakfast is probably the #1 reason that we sail primarily in suites.

Oh so much great advice.

Thanks for the full letter @Lovetocruise2002. Hopefully come March 22 it's back to that or even better!

The new cruiser should be crossing 7 months so we'll be just past the line. I tried to reserve online with "baby lastname" but it wouldn't take the due date as a birthday because it must be in the future. As everyone has suggested I'll just give Royal a call and see what they suggest we do.

Like most of you we've being longing to get back to sea and are so excited to make baby's first cruise our first one back and in a suite!

And thanks all for the well wishes.