Diamond Club membership question...

kittysoul

I just was watching a ship tour video on youtube, and it brought up something that just made me wonder.   I know that if you are a diamond member, or whatever level you are, that your kids automatically have the same level... will that level stick with them for life?  I was just thinking, that would create a legacy thing that would chain down the family...  For instance, if you cruise a bunch, and you have a kid  and they inherit your level... if they grow up and get married and have kids... then their kids will retain the level... and on and on...  Or, do kids have to start over with their own points, once they  move out of the house?   I just was wondering... it doesn't really apply to me, as I am an empty nester and just started.. but was curious... ?

A child’s C&A level will match the parent up until they turn 18. At that point, whatever level they are at (at 18) will be the level they retain. Further moves up the C&A ladder will be on their own.

For example, my almost 15 year old has Diamond because we are. On her own she is Emerald. Hubby and I will be D+ very soon (would be already if it wasn’t for covid) so before she turns 18, she will be D+ but her actual points will be Diamond (because she is close to 80 points herself). 

12 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

A child’s C&A level will match the parent up until they turn 18. At that point, whatever level they are at (at 18) will be the level they retain. Further moves up the C&A ladder will be on their own.

For example, my almost 15 year old has Diamond because we are. On her own she is Emerald. Hubby and I will be D+ very soon (would be already if it wasn’t for covid) so before she turns 18, she will be D+ but her actual points will be Diamond (because she is close to 80 points herself). 

thanks for explaining that... i was just really curious!!  that makes sense to me.... that is pretty cool!

A baby getting their parents status, which said parent is still utilizing their parents status because they are still a minor would require a crown and anchor members 17 year old or younger child to have given birth and wanting to cruise with their baby and somehow this baby needing the crown and anchor benefits.
Although possible, this scenario is as unlikely as it is scary. 

1 hour ago, AlmondFarmer said:

A baby getting their parents status, which said parent is still utilizing their parents status because they are still a minor would require a crown and anchor members 17 year old or younger child to have given birth and wanting to cruise with their baby and somehow this baby needing the crown and anchor benefits.
Although possible, this scenario is as unlikely as it is scary. 

I don't think that is what @kittysoul and @WAAAYTOOO are asking.  I think the question is what happens when, say for example again, my daughter who at 18 will end up with our D+ status for life.  Let's say no one finances her cruises anymore after 18 and she doesn't cruise for a while.  Then later in life she has kids and takes a cruise with them, would her kids then get her D+ status (which is really earned through us) or would her kids start from scratch?  I think that is the question.

1 hour ago, GaryAA said:

I would be a Pinnacle member if I would have got credit for the Junior Suites I paid for our kids when they cruised with us. I always thought the person who paid for the cabins should get the credit. At least maybe they can get something out of it like being Diamond members.

To be fair, it's the same approach for airlines or hotels. You only get points if you fly/stay. Doesnt matter who pays.

Thinking about the logic of this...

My son is Diamond when he turned 18.    

If he had a child (his best friend is about to!) that child would be born Diamond.  My son (with kid) sails once before the child turns 18, so that child will get his father's Diamond status.  

That baby is now Diamond on his 18th birthday.  But with probably only a handful of cruise points, and will not move up past Diamond until it earns 80 of his own.  But yes, my grandchild should benefit from my cruise status. 

I also never saw how it matters how someone attains C&A status. Someone else becoming Diamond doesn't diminish my Diamond perks.

If you point out the Diamond Lounge is crowded, well, it's always been crowded. Even if you never allow another person to get to Diamond, it wont get less crowded for quite a while until enough people pass on.

I think an even more interesting theoretical question would be whether it is possible for someone who has NEVER cruised to receive and pass on Diamond status.

Let's say my wife and I cruise and attain Diamond status.  We sign our child up for C&A but never actually bring him on a cruise.  But he has Diamond status right?  Fast forward a few decades.  My son gets married, has a kid, and signs them up for C&A.  They become Diamond right?  Now that kid (my grandchild) grows up and at age 30 takes their very first cruise with Diamond status.

Does this matter?  As Matt points out above, sure I've created several Diamond family members but if they never cruise, they aren't taking away space or anything from the regular cruisers.

I've put too much thought into this.  When is my next cruise???

21 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I think an even more interesting theoretical question would be whether it is possible for someone who has NEVER cruised to receive and pass on Diamond status.

Let's say my wife and I cruise and attain Diamond status.  We sign our child up for C&A but never actually bring him on a cruise.  But he has Diamond status right?  Fast forward a few decades.  My son gets married, has a kid, and signs them up for C&A.  They become Diamond right?  Now that kid (my grandchild) grows up and at age 30 takes their very first cruise with Diamond status.

Does this matter?  As Matt points out above, sure I've created several Diamond family members but if they never cruise, they aren't taking away space or anything from the regular cruisers.

I've put too much thought into this.  When is my next cruise???

My brain has been so bored lately that I have way too much time to think.  I'm thinking about all sorts of things that are meaningless, sigh.  

If they never cruise they won't have a C&A number so they have no status.  

The point of a loyalty program is to create loyalty.  This approach does create loyalty within a family and loyalty that is passed down to the next generation.

My daughter didn't cruise with Royal until she was 18.  We used to cruise other lines before I found Royal later in life and my timing of achieving diamond and not bringing her on a cruise before she turned 18 was poorly planned.  There was a small window but we missed it.  

She is now a hard working nearly self sufficient 20 something but she is also only a gold member having sailed Royal merely 3 times.

She decided to go on a cruise and being early in her career she doesn't have a huge budget.  She shopped by price because there was no benefit for her booking with Royal now, it's a completely level playing field.  Those cheap Diamond drinks would have tipped the scales on her budget and she would have booked Royal which she prefers.  Her budget won the fight and she sailed another line.

Absent of any reason to be loyal she couldn't afford to climb the C&A ladder any more.  She had to shop by price and Royal lost a guest to a competitor and probably will again and again until she reaches the point where she can afford to spend a little more even though there is a cheaper option.

She isn't in a position to sail frequently now at this point in her career.   If she had been gifted Diamond status she wouldn't be impacting anyone else.  A guest that isn't on board isn't occupying space in the DL.  

Royal has allowed this for sometime now.  They know it works.  They could change it if it was a problem.  Simply put it isn't broken so there is nothing to fix.  Their ship, their rules.  Personally I think it is very smart on their behalf.  

That’s interesting. I thought that children who had attained status retained that status once they reached 18 but could not achieve the next level until they “made up” all of the points that they had “inherited” to reach that status.  I didn’t think they actually “reverted” back to their own points level.

1 hour ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Kids can have their parents status once signed up. Once 18, their status is based on cruise points they have actual accumulated.  A Pinnacle 17 year old could become a gold 18 year old.

I don’t think this is the case anymore. Children retain whatever status their parents are in when they turn 18. 

Therein lies the problem as the process for kids turning 18 is ambiguous.

In most cases I hear reports that levels do not revert at 18.  In a few more rare cases I've seen reports that someone did lose their status.  

The problem is the T&Cs aren't clear.

Here is the official verbiage:

• A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.
  • For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

The ambiguity is .. What is the appropriate tier status they will revert to?  Do they revert to their own natural status or do they revert to the level they should have been frozen at on their 18th birthday since this action is in response to it being discovered they were not removed from the relationship and they continued to advance because of the relationship?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We need someone who had a kid turn 18 recently to settle this. This is important stuff! That is what my mini me just said. ? 

When my oldest turned 18 his status reverted back to his points level, this was 5 years ago.  It didn't really matter as it was just the one sailing he was gold (while his 16 yr old brother was platinum) as they both earned enough points on their own to be Platinum once that cruise was added in.  We were Emerald by the next time the boys sailed with us, and they were both over 18 at that time.  Their cards said Platinum.  I've heard of it going both ways - some kept the parent's status and others have not.

15 minutes ago, KathyC said:

- some kept the parent's status and others have not.

So it’s random? Lol. Typical Royal. Why  am I not surprised? 

I just did a quick calculation. If we can get sailing soon, with the double points next year, plus the 3 years after that before oldest daughter turns 18, she should be pretty close to D+ on her own. My younger one will definitely make D+ on her own before 18 if we can keep up this pace. She still has 5 years.  If we can sail March 2022, with quad points they will turn Diamond on their own merit with that sailing.  My children really need to thank me lol.

1 hour ago, twangster said:Therein lies the problem as the process for kids turning 18 is ambiguous.

In most cases I hear reports that levels do not revert at 18.  In a few more rare cases I've seen reports that someone did lose their status.  

The problem is the T&Cs aren't clear.

Here is the official verbiage:

• A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program.
  • For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other. Children will be taken out of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday date. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependents record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status.

The ambiguity is .. What is the appropriate tier status they will revert to?  Do they revert to their own natural status or do they revert to the level they should have been frozen at on their 18th birthday since this action is in response to it being discovered they were not removed from the relationship and they continued to advance because of the relationship?

Once a person is linked to another, both receive points even if both do not cruise.  For example, I have cruised a whopping 7 nights more than my husband and it was in a suite.  His cruise history (that is, his actual cruises) show he has 376 points.  His C&A level states Diamond Plus 390 points.

The same is true for a minor child in relationship with a parent.  The child could cruise one time and have 5 C&A points in his cruise history, but his C&A status would show his parent’s level and points.  For example: Diamond 170 points.  His cruise history would still show his 5 C&A points, but his C&A level would state Diamond 170 points.  On his 18th birthday, he retains his parent’s status, but reverts to his actual points earned.  His new C&A level would be Diamond, 5 points.  In order to reach Diamond Plus, he would need to earn an additional 170 points on his own.

Let’s say the child reaches his 18th birthday and his parents embark on a cruise the next day.  Due to technical error, he was NOT immediately removed from the relationship on his 18th birthday.  Due to that glitch, he would also have the additional points from the parent’s cruise added.  His C&A level would show Diamond PLUS, 177 points.

Once the discrepancy was found, he would revert back to Diamond with 5 points.  This is the appropriate status - the one he received due to the relationship link as of his 18th birthday.

5 hours ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

Once a person is linked to another, both receive points even if both do not cruise.  For example, I have cruised a whopping 7 nights more than my husband and it was in a suite.  His cruise history (that is, his actual cruises) show he has 376 points.  His C&A level states Diamond Plus 390 points.

The same is true for a minor child in relationship with a parent.  The child could cruise one time and have 5 C&A points in his cruise history, but his C&A status would show his parent’s level and points.  For example: Diamond 170 points.  His cruise history would still show his 5 C&A points, but his C&A level would state Diamond 170 points.  On his 18th birthday, he retains his parent’s status, but reverts to his actual points earned.  His new C&A level would be Diamond, 5 points.  In order to reach Diamond Plus, he would need to earn an additional 170 points on his own.

Let’s say the child reaches his 18th birthday and his parents embark on a cruise the next day.  Due to technical error, he was NOT immediately removed from the relationship on his 18th birthday.  Due to that glitch, he would also have the additional points from the parent’s cruise added.  His C&A level would show Diamond PLUS, 177 points.

Once the discrepancy was found, he would revert back to Diamond with 5 points.  This is the appropriate status - the one he received due to the relationship link as of his 18th birthday.

And yet there are people who lost their status at 18 and were reset to their actual points earned naturally.  

Like so many Royal things, it's inconsistent.  

18 hours ago, twangster said:

And yet there are people who lost their status at 18 and were reset to their actual points earned naturally.  

Like so many Royal things, it's inconsistent.  

Yes, mistakes do happen, but a simple phone call to C&A would resolve the status issue.  I don’t find the wording in the terms & conditions confusing at all. (A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above.)

My daughter was so upset when she lost her Diamond status. Lucky for her, Royal didn't update her status back to Emerald until her was 22 years old, so she managed to sneak in a cruise and enjoy the benefits of the Diamond lounge, (drinking age for down under cruises is 18)

It was funny on her last cruse where she wore her Diamond pin even though she was Emerald, and managed to talk her way into the lounge. She had the drink package but was salty about her status downgrade. It was lots of fun stirring her up about it. Poor baby, LOL