CDC Asks RCL for information

Leroyr55

I am not sure if the CDC was asking to review the technology for release to cruise or they were asking to share the technology for possible distribution to other carriers. I would make sure the technology is locked down tight before handing it over. Lot of money and innovation invested here. I can only hope that is was to release to possibly cruise and they are impressed with the technology.

I read it to mean that the CDC wanted Royal to share what they have been doing to cruise safely, with them and the other lines. Much of this technology has already been patented and should be protected from theft.  Most of what they are doing is not so technical that it could not be easily figured out by the other lines on thier own.  Also, I think it would be naïve of us to think that the lines are not talking to each other behind the scenes about what has and has not been working.  I work in IT, in a 'medium size city", but the IT section of the city is really small and we all know each other.  You can bet that when there's a malware outbreak or something, that we are all chatting on the side about what was happening.

Stay Safe.

I think it is encouraging that the CDC did request details about its use in Singapore. 

First it demonstrates there is two way communication.  That's huge.  It also indicates that the CDC is aware that 35,000 passengers have sailed on a Royal ship using this technology without a single positive case.   

That is perhaps even more important - that the CDC is aware of and considering that other countries have restarted cruising without incident.

However the CDC could also be interested in the technology purely out of interest so they might see if the technology has other applications beyond cruising.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I think it is encouraging that the CDC did request details about its use in Singapore. 

First it demonstrates there is two way communication.  That's huge.  It also indicates that the CDC is aware that 35,000 passengers have sailed on a Royal ship using this technology without a single positive case.   

That is perhaps even more important - that the CDC is aware of and considering that other countries have restarted cruising without incident.

However the CDC could also be interested in the technology purely out of interest so they might see if the technology has other applications beyond cruising.

You bring up a really good point 35,000 passengers have sailed without a single positive case.  One part of that is also do to testing the day of embarkation, that is a key difference between RCCL in Singapore and what CCL proposed a few weeks ago where they would allow a person to board with a 5 day old negative test. 

This is encouraging news at least the CDC is talking with cruise lines so at least they realize they need to get the ball rolling.  

1 hour ago, JasonOasis said:

You bring up a really good point 35,000 passengers have sailed without a single positive case.  One part of that is also do to testing the day of embarkation, that is a key difference between RCCL in Singapore and what CCL proposed a few weeks ago where they would allow a person to board with a 5 day old negative test. 

This is encouraging news at least the CDC is talking with cruise lines so at least they realize they need to get the ball rolling.  

It's also that Singapore has aggressively contained the virus and has a fraction of the incidence rate we do.

2 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Yes its fantastic that no positives and cruising go full steam ahead in Singapore but you cant say because of testing on embarking. Its not like they have had to turn people away.no covid in the community. Shows everything works and can happen but only in locations where there is some sort ofvirus control

6 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

It's also that Singapore has aggressively contained the virus and has a fraction of the incidence rate we do.

Today that is correct but no one is saying cruising in the US should resume 9am tomorrow morning in the US.

One day soon the US will also have low enough rates like Singapore does today to allow cruising.  We can begin to prepare for that and that begins with the CDC issuing technical details for the cruise lines so they can begin to prepare, train and acquire any equipment required.  

Once the cruise lines know what they must do it will take months for them to get ready.  

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Hi, so we understand you run some kind of a business called "cruising" ... we don't really know anything about that, could you take some time and explain what it is and how works ... apparently we are in complete control of your business and we are generally opposed to anything that happens outside of a laboratory in tightly controlled conditions so this is very scary to us already.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Hi, so we understand you run some kind of a business called "cruising" ... we don't really know anything about that, could you take some time and explain what it is and how works ... apparently we are in complete control of your business and we are generally opposed to anything that happens outside of a laboratory in tightly controlled conditions so this is very scary to us already.

Correct...  So are we looking at a Ship or a Boat ? ?  Interesting.. 

images.jpg

16 hours ago, twangster said:

it demonstrates there is two way communication

This is my takeaway. The two sides are talking, even if it doesn't result in policy change.

I think many, myself included, assumed CDC was "missing in action" and the cruise lines were submitting requests and proposals with no feedback.

It's encouraging that the CDC is not only talking, but engaged.

just because they (the CDC) are a government agency doesn't mean they can't be sued later.  I think they now realize this, and know they have to show dialogue and progress with the cruise lines even if it appears miniscule to us. 

the cruise line CEOs are doing great at putting on their patient faces and "taking their medicine" so to speak, because they will need the CDCs blessing to sail again..  but years down the road, when the dust settles on COVID, it's going to be hard to explain to a judge why X industry was allowed to operate with "guidelines" like masks and distancing yet the cruiselines were shutdown wholesale and the CDC would not even engage with them.

The CDC predicted the spike this winter in the fall.  The revised NSO was set to expire in February.  

It could be there current willingness to communicate now was the plan all along when the CSO was announced. 

October 2020: "We'll shut up until February and by then the winter peak will be over".  

February 2021: "We're back!!!!"

11 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Yes its fantastic that no positives and cruising go full steam ahead in Singapore but you cant say because of testing on embarking. Its not like they have had to turn people away.no covid in the community. Shows everything works and can happen but only in locations where there is some sort ofvirus control

I explicitly stated one part of it is testing I never stated the "no positives cases" is 100% attributed to day of embarkation testing alone.  It is one part of a multilayer system that is working in Singapore and can be modified, enhanced and adapted to allow cruising to safely resume in this country by July or August of this year.  Cruise lines in Europe and EU governments have figure out their own plan for safe resumption of cruising, the CDC together with cruise lines here in the US can figure this out by working together and the first step in working together is having a dialog with each other.  So I stand by my comment it is encouraging news to see the CDC reach out to RCG and I am hopeful cruising will resume in this country this summer.

15 hours ago, twangster said:

Today that is correct but no one is saying cruising in the US should resume 9am tomorrow morning in the US.

One day soon the US will also have low enough rates like Singapore does today to allow cruising.  We can begin to prepare for that and that begins with the CDC issuing technical details for the cruise lines so they can begin to prepare, train and acquire any equipment required.  

Once the cruise lines know what they must do it will take months for them to get ready.  

Sure, but we can't write the same criteria Singapore can today and expect to succeed, nor should we. Zero covid is not possible on land, why should it be required on the sea?

I think a reasonable criteria would be just to make sure the ships aren't "accelerators". If they're not, and medical facilities on land and at sea can provide for the background level of disease, then get those "boats" *cringe* sailing.

8 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Sure, but we can't write the same criteria Singapore can today and expect to succeed, nor should we. Zero covid is not possible on land, why should it be required on the sea?

I think a reasonable criteria would be just to make sure the ships aren't "accelerators". If they're not, and medical facilities on land and at sea can provide for the background level of disease, then get those "boats" *cringe* sailing.

I'm not suggesting the CDC should wait for zero in the community.  We are rapidly approaching the point where two lines on a graph will cross making it safe to resume cruising very soon.  As community cases continue to drop and vaccinations continue to climb their lines cross on a graph and it's safe enough to cruise.   

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not suggesting the CDC should wait for zero in the community.  We are rapidly approaching the point where two lines on a graph will cross making it safe to resume cruising very soon.  As community cases continue to drop and vaccinations continue to climb their lines cross on a graph and it's safe enough to cruise.   

I think we agree, but Singapore has single digit cases of detected community transmission right now (maybe double digit, but you get my drift). It would be disingenuous to say "we have zero cases in Singapore because of these protocol" when it likely isn't causative. And like you said, we don't need it to be! I think the cruise lines obviously get this, but as members of the thinking public I think it's kind of our duty to pre-empt the idea that we're willing to wait for zero cases to claim victory... I see the notion that a single case (or even dozens of cases) will derail the return of cruising too often.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:15 AM, twangster said:

The CDC predicted the spike this winter in the fall.  The revised NSO was set to expire in February.  

It could be there current willingness to communicate now was the plan all along when the CSO was announced. 

October 2020: "We'll shut up until February and by then the winter peak will be over".  

February 2021: "We're back!!!!"

Let's see what transpires 2 weeks after spring break.   Will we see a bump?