Odyssey of the Seas Ems River Conveyance Coming Soon

Tide tables and notices of dam closures along the Ems River point to Odyssey of the Seas making the trip down the river towards the sea on the 27th of February.

Shipbuilder Meyers Werft has been busy making preparations including testing all lifeboats.  Odyssey has been outside at the shipyard secured to a pier next to the construction hall where she was assembled.  Odyssey was floated out of the construction hall in November.  In the video below Odyssey has been moved away the pier so that all lifeboats can be lowered and tested.

Meyers Werft has been keeping the conveyance quiet to avoid large crowds gathering along the route given the pandemic.  The shipyard is well inland away from the sea requiring the river conveyance once ships are nearing completion in preparation for the handover to the company that ordered the ship.  Meyers Werft builds ships of varying sizes at the shipyard in Papenburg, Germany.  Quantum class and similar ships from other cruise lines push the limits for the size of the ship that can be floated or conveyed down the Ems River.

Work remains to be completed before the handover to Royal Caribbean.  The conveyance down the Ems River towards the sea is safest during the highest monthly tide cycle.  Closing dams in certain places along the river in coordination with tidal swings can further increase safety buffers and the depth of water below the hull.  These factors limit the date of the conveyance relative to the handover to the cruise line but the conveyance has historically been a good indication that the handover will occur soon after.  Final work, finishing touches and mandatory sea trials in the North Sea need to be completed before the handover to Royal Caribbean.

For a preview of what to expect check out these blog posts from the conveyance of Ovation of the Seas and Spectrum of the Seas down the Ems River:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/03/11/royal-caribbeans-ovation-of-the-seas-begins-conveyance

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/03/12/all-about-ovation-of-the-seas-conveyance-one-infographic

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/03/14/beautiful-views-ovation-of-the-seas-conveyance

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/03/26/video-spectrum-of-the-seas-conveyance

It's a pity this won't be the event it normally is. We had planned to have a short vacation and watch the conveyance on the spot. Sadly, overnight stays are still forbidden, even in our own RV - and it's too far for a one day trip. German public-service broadcasting offered a live stream for the Spectrum conveyance, but I guess that's out of the question for the Odyssey conveyance as everybody is trying to keep the date quiet.

I think the conveyance is really happening. This screenshot is from a website that posts shipping notices. It says something about there being hindrance for other ships on the river Ems due to the conveyance. (my German is not so good sorry). 

I am going to try and go and take video and pictures to post here. Any recommendations for a good spot? 

Screenshot_20210226_131636_com.android.chrome.jpg

20 minutes ago, Marga said:

I think the conveyance is really happening. This screenshot is from a website that posts shipping notices. It says something about there being hindrance for other ships on the river Ems due to the conveyance. (my German is not so good sorry). 

I am going to try and go and take video and pictures to post here. Any recommendations for a good spot? 

Screenshot_20210226_131636_com.android.chrome.jpg

Google translate is your friend ? 

It will take several hours, they proceed very slowly and in places where they must pass through bridges even slower.

Google translate:

The transfer of the exceptionally large shipyard "Odyssey of the Seas" on the Ems shipping route from Papenburg to See is planned for February 27, 2021 and February 28, 2021. For the purpose of the ship transfer, the water level between Papenburg and Gandersum is dammed with the help of the Ems barrage at Gandersum.

1.2 Ship transfer

The ship transfer is expected to begin on February 27, 2021 at around 4 a.m. in Papenburg. The passage of the Jann-Berghaus-Brücke in Leer is planned for February 27, 2021 at around 12:00 p.m. The shipyard ship is expected to pass through the Gandersum Ems barrier on February 28, 2021 at around 00:30 a.m.

3 hours ago, Marga said:

The two bridges are usually the most iconic spots. Friesenbrücke Weener will be first, followed by Jann-Berghaus-Brücke Leer at noon. The dam (Emssperrwerk) is too late (0.30 am) and the shipyards lock is just too early (4 am).

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Google translate is your friend ? 

It will take several hours, they proceed very slowly and in places where they must pass through bridges even slower.

Google translate:

The transfer of the exceptionally large shipyard "Odyssey of the Seas" on the Ems shipping route from Papenburg to See is planned for February 27, 2021 and February 28, 2021. For the purpose of the ship transfer, the water level between Papenburg and Gandersum is dammed with the help of the Ems barrage at Gandersum.

1.2 Ship transfer

The ship transfer is expected to begin on February 27, 2021 at around 4 a.m. in Papenburg. The passage of the Jann-Berghaus-Brücke in Leer is planned for February 27, 2021 at around 12:00 p.m. The shipyard ship is expected to pass through the Gandersum Ems barrier on February 28, 2021 at around 00:30 a.m.

Now why do they need 3 letter f's in a row? does it make a different sound? Calling all German speakers!!!

11 hours ago, gabeb848 said:

Now why do they need 3 letter f's in a row? does it make a different sound? Calling all German speakers!!!

This is what you get when combining two words in one - although 3 consonants is due to the spelling reform of 1996. Before that, it was impossible to have 3 consonants in a row and you just dropped one when combining words - pronounciation is the same anyway.

Oh the 'joys' of the spelling reform. I was in 7th grade when this started so I had to learn both. I still can't be bothered to write Delphin (dolphin) with f instead of ph.

23 minutes ago, IRMO12HD said:

I notice that it's been "paused" for the last 10 minutes between Gandersum and Oldersum, and that an EMS boat is headed downriver (towards Eemshaven).  Hopefully just a preparatory move toward the next section of the trip.

I think I found the explanation; according to a German news article, it won't go through the "Emssperwerk" (the bridge at Gandersum) until 00:30 Local (i.e., 12:30 a.m. on the 28th).  I'm sure it has to do with tides and river height.  That should be 4:30 pm Pacific and 7:30 pm Eastern.

Samstag, 27. Februar 2021

03:30 Uhr Schiff in Warteposition (Papenburg)
04:00 Uhr Passieren der Dockschleuse (Papenburg)
08:45 Uhr Passieren der Friesenbrücke (Weener)
12:00 Uhr Passieren der Jann-Berghaus-Brücke (Leer)
Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021

00:30 Uhr Passage Emssperrwerk (Gandersum)
03:30 Uhr Schiff drehen auf Höhe Emden

I wonder if, when it's on the move, its speed is in negative knots (kn) since it's going backwards . . .

Another "I wonder:"  How does Odyssey (and its tugs) maintain its position in the Ems River while waiting for the next part of the conveyance through the Emssperwerk?  Do they use anchors, or just continual position adjustment by the tugs?  Since the speed numbers of the tugs vary between 0.0 and 0.2 knots, I assume the latter.

43 minutes ago, Leroyr55 said:

I have to ask this why do they move it backwards?..Peace Out Goodbye GIF by Garfield

The lowest part underwater and extremely valuable assets are the azipods and propellers.  

By backing it down they can keep the aft of the ship centered in the deepest part of the river while the forward area which is not as deep has a little more latitude to venture out of the deepest part of the river with less concern.  

If any part of the ship is going to approach the bottom it's better for it to be the bow.

1 hour ago, IRMO12HD said:

Another "I wonder:"  How does Odyssey (and its tugs) maintain its position in the Ems River while waiting for the next part of the conveyance through the Emssperwerk?  Do they use anchors, or just continual position adjustment by the tugs?  Since the speed numbers of the tugs vary between 0.0 and 0.2 knots, I assume the latter.

Ships have precise positioning systems that can keep them within or approaching 1m of position.  Modern cruise ships can visit delicate ecosystems like coral reefs without dropping anchor while they tender although it does increase fuel burn.

6 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I think I found the explanation; according to a German news article, it won't go through the "Emssperwerk" (the bridge at Gandersum) until 00:30 Local (i.e., 12:30 a.m. on the 28th).  I'm sure it has to do with tides and river height.  That should be 4:30 pm Pacific and 7:30 pm Eastern.

Samstag, 27. Februar 2021

03:30 Uhr Schiff in Warteposition (Papenburg)
04:00 Uhr Passieren der Dockschleuse (Papenburg)
08:45 Uhr Passieren der Friesenbrücke (Weener)
12:00 Uhr Passieren der Jann-Berghaus-Brücke (Leer)
Sonntag, 28. Februar 2021

00:30 Uhr Passage Emssperrwerk (Gandersum)
03:30 Uhr Schiff drehen auf Höhe Emden

I wonder if, when it's on the move, its speed is in negative knots (kn) since it's going backwards . . .

Correction; it will pass through Emssperrwerk at 3:30 p.m. Pacific (6:30 Eastern).  That's what happens when I don't check my phone's World Clock . . .

9 minutes ago, Marga said:

The Emmssperwerk is not a bridge but a dam / weir. 

Maybe that's why they have to wait? 

Technically correct.  "Barrier" for storm surge control. 

This was the dam that was closed at high tide to trap the water in the river and make the river higher rather than draining lower at low tide like it normally would with each tide change.  

https://www.elwis.de/DE/dynamisch/BfS/index.php?target=3&source=2&db_id=251736

Google translate:

1.1 Ems barrage

The Ems Barrage will be completely closed for the purpose of damming on 02.26.2021 at around 12:00 p.m. The lifting of the traffic jam is expected to be completed on February 28, 2021 at around 00:30 a.m. After the end of the traffic jam and, if necessary, the shipyard has passed through the barrage, the passage through the barrage will be opened again for shipping. The following closure times are therefore expected at the Ems barrage near Gandersum:

02/26/2021 at around 12:00 p.m. to 02/28/2021 at around 12:30 a.m.

Ships that are waiting in the barrage area for clearance to continue must moor at the existing berths. The large ship berth in Gandersum is not available for this purpose.