First Large Cruise Line to Require Passenger Vaccination

When luxury cruise line Crystal Cruises resumes operations on its river and ocean sailings later this year, all of its passengers will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 at least two weeks prior to setting sail.

The First Large-Ship Cruise Line Announces Vaccine Requirement (forbes.com)  Apparently, there will be no exceptions, even for children not old enough to receive the vaccine.

1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

When luxury cruise line Crystal Cruises resumes operations on its river and ocean sailings later this year, all of its passengers will be required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 at least two weeks prior to setting sail.

The First Large-Ship Cruise Line Announces Vaccine Requirement (forbes.com)  Apparently, there will be no exceptions, even for children not old enough to receive the vaccine.

Saga Cruises was the first to announce this requirement. We all knew that the "Domino Effect" was just around the corner.

And as kids aren't able to be vaccinated does that mean no family cruises? I feel like if royal and carnival etc make vaccination requirements, they would have to make exceptions for kids. Or offer full refunds instead of FCC.  I know if I am told my daughter can't sail I will not accept FCC. All of this being hypothetical of course.

29 minutes ago, Marlena said:

And as kids aren't able to be vaccinated does that mean no family cruises? I feel like if royal and carnival etc make vaccination requirements, they would have to make exceptions for kids. Or offer full refunds instead of FCC.  I know if I am told my daughter can't sail I will not accept FCC. All of this being hypothetical of course.

I think the anticipation is that kids will be clear to get a vaccine once the vaccine trials for kids that are in process have been completed.  Those trials could complete before any of us in the general availability group have a chance to get vaccinated so it's not like kids will be deferred simply because they were approved later.  

Royal hasn't established the requirements to sail yet.  If they establish any requirement that precludes any booked guest from sailing I would expect them to account for that possibility.  

1 hour ago, GaryAA said:

I saw the comment about “verified documentation”. Are people getting a card or letter after being vaccinated? I see this as something to be worked around in this day and age. The temperature checks and mask wearing is harder to avoid.

Got my first dose earlier this week and yeah, you get a card that has the manufacturer, lot number, location, date of shot, etc on it. It's very similar to the yellow fever vaccination cards, just not yellow.  To get it and the first shot I had to show ID and a consent form at the door and be on the preregistered list (consent form stayed with them), show ID again at the checkin desk where I also got a wristband with a scanable code and gave them my insurance to bill it to, sat down at the one of the vaccination stations where they verified my ID again (and twice more with birthdate), scanned the wrist band, scanned the barcode on the vaccine vial, and my wristband again.  

Long story short, there's absolutely a record of my getting it out there and I've got a card that'll get another stamp next month with the second dose.  I'm going to still believe that most people are too honest to try and fake a vaccination card.

That said, I'm actually pretty interested in what a verification system would look like, and if RCCL would implement it.  My guess is that they'd rely on the cards (or whatever they change to) unless there's a larger vaccination verifications system built that they could use.   I don't know nearly enough about health information regulations to speculate on what those might look like, but not surprisingly there's been a fair amount written about those in the last couple months.

26 minutes ago, joshgates said:

Got my first dose earlier this week and yeah, you get a card that has the manufacturer, lot number, location, date of shot, etc on it. It's very similar to the yellow fever vaccination cards, just not yellow.  To get it and the first shot I had to show ID and a consent form at the door and be on the preregistered list (consent form stayed with them), show ID again at the checkin desk where I also got a wristband with a scanable code and gave them my insurance to bill it to, sat down at the one of the vaccination stations where they verified my ID again (and twice more with birthdate), scanned the wrist band, scanned the barcode on the vaccine vial, and my wristband again.  

Long story short, there's absolutely a record of my getting it out there and I've got a card that'll get another stamp next month with the second dose.  I'm going to still believe that most people are too honest to try and fake a vaccination card.

That said, I'm actually pretty interested in what a verification system would look like, and if RCCL would implement it.  My guess is that they'd rely on the cards (or whatever they change to) unless there's a larger vaccination verifications system built that they could use.   I don't know nearly enough about health information regulations to speculate on what those might look like, but not surprisingly there's been a fair amount written about those in the last couple months.

That’s good to know they are documenting each vaccination. I’m also wondering if there will eventually be a database that the cruise lines can access.

Got my 2nd dose today. In ten days they figure 94% to 97% immunity for the mrna vaccine. Sadly by the time true herd immunity is reached it will likely be well into 2022 if not after unless they start opening up to more people. Any cruise line attempting to force vaccination before boarding at this point is shooting themselves in the foot and may as well mothball their ships for a couple years. And even then are probably better off just selling the ships off now. 

Not to mention that we so don't know if this is going to end up similar to the yearly flu with different variants floating around. In that case they will also need boosters which again will likely take a couple years to be widespread unless massive changes are made. Even the flu vaccine is not taken widely enough for true herd immunity to kick in. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/coverage-1920estimates.htm so getting 90 percent is going to be a pain unless it's government mandated and then the lawsuits will insue. 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:36 AM, GaryAA said:

I saw the comment about “verified documentation”. Are people getting a card or letter after being vaccinated? I see this as something to be worked around in this day and age. The temperature checks and mask wearing is harder to avoid.

We got a Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card with a CDC mark on it.  There is a place on the bottom of the card that a sticker with name of manufacturer, lot number and date of vaccination that the vaccination site will put on your card when you get vaccination.  Got both vaccines so obviously we have two stickers.

3 hours ago, MikeK said:

We got a Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card with a CDC mark on it.  There is a place on the bottom of the card that a sticker with name of manufacturer, lot number and date of vaccination that the vaccination site will put on your card when you get vaccination.  Got both vaccines so obviously we have two stickers.

Ours were just written in.

31 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Ours were just written in.

Nightmare waiting to happen.....

How would you ever prove that? Good luck if any official from the airport to the port to the cruise company to any of the destinations you want to travel with have any concerns about hand written vaccination record!

18 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Nightmare waiting to happen.....

How would you ever prove that? Good luck if any official from the airport to the port to the cruise company to any of the destinations you want to travel with have any concerns about hand written vaccination record!

Oh, I know. All you would need is a piece of white cardstock and a duplex printer.

Our state has an easily accessible (by patients) registry, and there is a reporting requirement to the fed, though I don't know how much specific information they get versus just general demographic info.