Oasis Class Ship Names

gabeb848

Why do you guys think the Oasis Class ships are the only ones with names that don't really go with the class name, besides The Oasis, Allure, and Wonder which are all kind of mysterious, when did they think it was a good idea to name the 2 ships in the middle of the class Harmony and Symphony??? Like, that sounds like it could be part of some other class called Melody Class!!! They seem a lot longer too, and out of place. This is just my opinion, but what do you think RCI was thinking?

P.S. They could have done Oasis, Allure, Wonder, Marvel, Reverie, and Fantasy, all mysterious and whimsical!

Who knows exactly why but a lot of market research goes into naming.  It can be challenging to find a name that doesn't offend someone in some language and is generally clear of trademarks or registrations by similar companies.  

It's easy to look back and find fault but I'm not sure they knew 13 or 14 years ago how this experiment would turn out.   It wasn't always cast in stone there would be this many.

It could have been worse... Just look at Boaty McBoatface.

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

Who knows exactly why but a lot of market research goes into naming.  It can be challenging to find a name that doesn't offend someone in some language and is generally clear of trademarks or registrations by similar companies.  

It's easy to look back and find fault but I'm not sure they knew 13 or 14 years ago how this experiment would turn out.   It wasn't always cast in stone there would be this many.

It could have been worse... Just look at Boaty McBoatface.

This is a good point. Who on earth named it Boaty McBoatface?? I bet Fantasy and Marvel are Disney TM's.

2 hours ago, gabeb848 said:

This is a good point. Who on earth named it Boaty McBoatface?? I bet Fantasy and Marvel are Disney TM's.

Fantasy is not trademarked as there already is both a Disney Fantasy and a Carnival Fantasy....well Carnival scrapped their Fantasy last July.

Carnival was using the name for about 8 years before Disney named their ship.

The internet strikes again.  Enter "Sorty McSortface"

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/19/colorado-amp-robotics-company-boulder-recycling/

Before the coronavirus started spreading, the Boulder County Recycling Center was having problems keeping fully staffed. The pandemic hit and people started buying more online, cooking more at home: more cardboard, tin cans and other items swelled the center’s incoming materials by 11%.

Enter two new workers who’ve made a big difference. They are two robots designed by AMP Robotics. You can call them Sorty McSortface and Sir Sorts-a-Lot, the winning names in a contest.

Sadly Twangster McTwangsterface" just doesn't roll off the tongue.