Across the Seas & Through the Stars - Actually a cruise live blog - Quantum 1 March

LogicallyLazy

17 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

Based on the menu Eli sent over. Day 1 dinner is filet night at CK? It’s okay though, with any luck I can always try it on another sailing in the future. Fingers crossed

YMMV but on Anthem, the CK manager did tell me that they can make the filet any night for SC guests. @TheHobbysalso confirmed this when he sailed Anthem.

Here’s what I am getting at...it might not hurt to ask if they can make you the CK filet for lunch on embarkation day (ask your genie to request this ahead of time). If they are serving the filet on Night 1, perhaps they can make it a few hours earlier, and then you can go to Chops for dinner.

To throw another wrench into your plans though, the Night 1 Filet menu in CK is one of my all time favourites. Not just because of the filet but the entire dinner menu is perfect! The pork belly is amazing!! 

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Filet twice in 1 day ?  Hmmmm....

Not sure if that is good thing or not lol

I was actually thinking that @LogicallyLazycould do CK filet for lunch in Day 1 and Chops for dinner another night. That would allow for comparison and not have two filets in one day. 

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That’s a great point about asking to have it prepared for lunch. That never even occurred to me.

That was allowed on Anthem, but again not sure if they will do it on Quantum. I suppose it would be up to the CK manager. But it doesn’t hurt to ask.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Here’s what I am getting at...it might not hurt to ask if they can make you the CK filet for lunch on embarkation day (ask your genie to request this ahead of time). If they are serving the filet on Night 1, perhaps they can make it a few hours earlier, and then you can go to Chops for dinner.

Oh I did not know this was possible. Thanks. I will see if Eli can do anything about that. 

I will be going to chops for 2 dinners as my dad absolutely loves seafood (I’m looking at you seafood tower ?) I can spread out the filets. But I’m an absolute carnivore, so filet twice in one day may not actually be out of the question. Lol

So, today is the day for my covid test. We have a 10am appointment and arrived a few minutes before. The entire process was really smooth and quick, in and out in less than 10 mins. 

I have done a test before, so I knew what to expect in terms of the test itself. A little uncomfortable but nowhere unbearable or painful, contrary to what some people claim.

77493D36-4C1F-4073-BEDD-C922628F02EE.thumb.jpeg.9b315ef6d3f4d8c26f45c733ae166b61.jpeg

F9A42248-1455-4EC7-A372-0F979FCC8390.thumb.jpeg.2f9b5e242b0145ba0b6cb7f88125dce1.jpeg

Now it’s just to wait for the results. So time to go back to packing

Eli just sent over our Proposed Planner schedule which also included the entertainment timetable. CF54093D-FE11-4175-BB29-CAFE63BC2D8D.thumb.jpeg.98835035648b94a502f74d473cd3dc1b.jpeg
Based on posts and live blogs from past sailings, seems like they’ve added more showtimes in the late afternoon. Wondering if it’s in response to the complains of lack of shows and inability to secure a reservation. 

Also, update on the filet at lunch request. At first Eli seemed hesitant and reasoned they usually don’t encourage it to avoid comments from other guest requesting the same. However, it seems she managed to pull through as she’s mentioned they will prepare it for our boarding day lunch. ?

37 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

Also, update on the filet at lunch request. At first Eli seemed hesitant and reasoned they usually don’t encourage it to avoid comments from other guest requesting the same. However, it seems she managed to pull through as she’s mentioned they will prepare it for our boarding day lunch. ?

That's fantastic news !  Genies rule !

Is she going to be able to reserve you seats in the Music Hall ?  This is one of those sketchy areas for Genies.  For reasons which I have never understood, Genies have been forbidden from reserving seats in the Music Hall or the Jazz Club.  It makes no sense to me, but that has always been the rule.  However, as with all such things....where there is a will, there is a way.  Yen Lee (Anthem) saved seats for us in the Music Hall for one of the band concerts but rather than laying down the red SC towels (for lack of a better word), she simply sat in one seat and saved the one next to her until we arrived.  I think if she had tried to lay the towels down she would have gotten pushback.  Poor Joyce got scolded for laying down the towels in the Jazz Club on Oasis last December.  LOL

Joyce explained to us that the Genies were not allowed to reserve seats in venues that are "revenue generating"....but of course, that is ridiculous.  What is the difference between 270 and the Music Hall ?  Both are revenue generating - open bars with roving bar servers.  Anyway, I hope that Eli can get you some good seats in the Music Hall for at least one of the concerts.

31 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is she going to be able to reserve you seats in the Music Hall ?

Funny you should ask this as I just moved around a couple things on the plan so we could go for one of the music hall shows. I haven’t checked with Eli on if she can reserve a seat for us, but my guess is no as it’s first come first seated. Of course, with genies, they may make something magical happen. Will check with Eli on board 

10 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

Funny you should ask this as I just moved around a couple things on the plan so we could go for one of the music hall shows. I haven’t checked with Eli on if she can reserve a seat for us, but my guess is no as it’s first come first seated. Of course, with genies, they may make something magical happen. Will check with Eli on board 

Here's something else I learned from Joyce (as I mentioned in another posting/another thread. Joyce was a wealth of insider information !), the Genie will NEVER respond in writing OR on the phone with an answer that would contradict their "rules".  So if you write to Eli or even call her and ask her to do something that is technically against the rules, my guess is that the answer will always be NO.  They can't afford to have anything in writing that contradicts the rules.  HOWEVER, once you see them in person and they can chat privately with you, they will do whatever they can to accommodate you.  So, my guess is she will say "no" to reserved seats at the MH.  BUT by at least bringing it up prior to boarding she will be aware that you want to go to the concert and she will be thinking of ways to make it happen for you.  If they don't know what you want, they can't do it for you.  So be prepared for "no" but also be aware that she will hopefully be able to "work something out" once you're on board.

27 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

BUT by at least bringing it up prior to boarding she will be aware that you want to go to the concert and she will be thinking of ways to make it happen for you.

I guess it’s a good thing that I told her the reason I wanted to move some of the shows around was so we could go to one of these MH shows. If she can reserve it for us, great! But if she can’t, it won’t we the end of the world. Besides, with sequins and starwater both going on around the same time, maybe the MH would be relatively quiet 

7 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Woohoo to Genies and what they can do!! So glad that worked out for you. ?

And it would not have happened at all if you didn’t give the suggestion. I think I would have missed out a lot if not for you and your star class live blog. Took so many tips from that 

36 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

It’s so close I can almost taste it. Don’t think I will be able to sleep tonight with all the excitement. It’s the only kind of insomnia I welcome

I haven't been able to say this in a really long time, but.... good luck sleeping tonight!

3 hours ago, LogicallyLazy said:

It’s so close I can almost taste it. Don’t think I will be able to sleep tonight with all the excitement. It’s the only kind of insomnia I welcome

Fantastic news.  Also, congratulations in advance for winning the "Live Blog with most vicarious readers in the history of the site" award.  Thanks for bringing us on board with you, we're probably almost as excited as you are! 

It’s here. It’s finally here. After so long, it is finally...CRUISE DAY!!!

Here I am, lying in bed awake at 8am even though I wasn’t planning on waking before 10. But what can I say, my mind’s a buzzin’

The weather’s looking good and the forecast promising. With tropical weather, you never know when there’s gonna be a thunderstorm, so having that is a little reassuring.

I guess this is also where the live in live blog comes in. Will be trying my best to update everything timely, but forgive me if some posts are a little delayed. After all, I am on vacation. Lol. ?

Boarding

We arrived at the terminal around 1.45 and immediately, the Star class usher came over and asked for our room number. I’m not sure how exactly they knew we were Star class, or they took the “all people who get there are star class until proven otherwise” approach. Either way, they took our bag in less than a minute. 

As it was still a few minutes before 2, the terminal itself wasn’t opened yet, so we waited in a priority line just outside. We were the first to enter the terminal. 

Immigration was quick, though we were slower compared to other guests as they were training a new staff. It’s okay though. We also got out tracelet at this time.FD884B3A-B2B7-4D29-9229-2BC737CBEA62.thumb.jpeg.0836602d2fa7c8c5c0bf4db20148cc7a.jpeg 

Overall we were on the ship within 30 mins. 

After which, we were brought to our stateroom by Eli. Pictures of the room coming in a later post. Next up, lunch!!! ?‍?

Phew, a long day. Time to catch up. Let’s rewind back a few hours 

Coastal Kitchen Lunch

74FF79E4-DCC9-4A30-A3E0-5267BE27C228.thumb.jpeg.e520878bbebc8582a35002f2ffd29241.jpeg8A131543-929E-421F-8289-75212B7D1094.thumb.jpeg.9508dfa88ef168f28f1013345ea4760d.jpeg

Tapping our seapass to get into CK, we were brought to our window side table with a view. To be on the water, even when in port, it’s giving me the feeling of being free  

9378489A-56A2-4779-89FC-C65B4AEDC840.thumb.jpeg.63bc05e1d7d91e311ebc0f805decbad6.jpeg
For our appetisers, we went for the cilantro fish soup and oven baked scallops. Both were delicious, though the fish soup was definitely the more memorable of the two. 
C90C8EEF-BE42-44F6-A8C2-3E616678547E.thumb.jpeg.4c9f6337fabe8433b46ec7d8ec2fcb64.jpeg57D38513-85CD-4CE4-81BF-F09DAD02C675.thumb.jpeg.1679cb8caf74304b592daa14d04e9fb7.jpeg

For our entree, as arranged by Eli, they managed to prepare the filet mignon for us specially. While it was definitely good, I think I may have hyped it a little bit too much in my head. We’ll see how the filet at Chops compares. EF698B76-E1F1-4080-A385-D987F68DE065.thumb.jpeg.510b9f0bab013f9d905623f48451a329.jpeg

For desert, we end it off with the Royal cheesecake, dark chocolate cookie and creme brûlée. The cheesecake was decent, but I think the cookie and creme brûlée left more of an impression. Though it was a little too sweet for our usual tastes, I loved the cookie, though it was more like a thick fudgy brownie, than a cookie. E1C4DF8B-CC4E-4054-A13C-06E2969EEC61.thumb.jpeg.ea7913fbef9d695e310cc22cf6a2e67c.jpeg 

By the end of the meal, we were stuffed. Our initial plan of getting some stuff from Windjammer was put aside. 
4BBFFA53-4DA3-4B47-B33E-9BE8E73950CB.thumb.jpeg.8567ccf7e23e16c0faaa248938d29fc3.jpegB7C33BF6-1EC4-456D-A6B4-8FFA0C942D27.thumb.jpeg.628bba641cdc4a13ad492c54fd7f316a.jpeg8AD94A67-4AB8-461C-B88D-B6DD241A9128.thumb.jpeg.a8359ce0e6907639e590c2ca58a516ad.jpeg