Royal Caribbean to require crew to be vaccinated

Mike.s

No surprise really.  Personally I think they'll leave guest requirements to public health agencies but ultimately vaccines will be required.

I can see many countries around the world establishing a vaccine requirement for international visitors.  Pick a popular ship destination.  If this vaccine requirement becomes real even for one stop of a cruise itinerary that will mean guests and crew are required to be vaccinated.  

I also think that cruise lines like Royal will be seeking ways to assist crew to become vaccinated possibly acquiring and distributing vaccines themselves.  That may seem unthinkable now with vaccines in early availability but sooner than we realize vaccines will be broadly available in developed nations so many private companies will be able to acquire them on an open market.  

Not surprised...although the vaccines doesn't prevent you from getting it or giving it to someone so I am not sure what the point is really.

Vaccine cards/passport will be the norm in the next couple years...for flying, cruising, hotels stays concert events etc...

That's my next prediction of what will come next from this pandemic......you can take this prediction to the bank too!!

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Vaccine cards/passport will be the norm in the next couple years...for flying, cruising, hotels stays concert events etc...

I agree that from a practical point of view this would seem to be a solution; however the UK Government has categorically stated on more than one occasion that they have no plans for a COVID vaccine passport/certificate programme. Currently all we receive is a hand written appointment card which can be far from ideal (here is my wife's from her first jab as a case in point). Instead the UK Government is advising us to obtain a letter from our GP confirming that we have been vaccinated. My concerns with this having had correspondence from GPs in the past are primarily that

(i) this is likely to be open to abuse as the letters (from my GP at least) appear to be in standard Word document format (or similar), so can easily be faked

(ii) as a follow on from (i) I am not sure how we will go about satisfying travel providers, foreign authorities, etc, of a document's authenticity if challenged

Clearly there is much detail still to be worked through... 

IMG_0287.jpg

1 hour ago, Ian T said:

I agree that from a practical point of view this would seem to be a solution; however the UK Government has categorically stated on more than one occasion that they have no plans for a COVID vaccine passport/certificate programme.

And as those of us in the UK know only to well anything our Government states a number of times has every chance of being changed at will

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-certificates-to-be-discussed-by-ministers-tomorrow-12215228

53 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

I will say the CDC here in the US did a good job on the documentation of the vaccinations. My "Covid-19 Passport" is now ready to go and have it clipped in my passport

Covid-19 CDC Card - Gen.png

I also have one of these cards.  (I'm sure millions of American's also have one of these cards). 

I will also attach this card to my passport. ? 

5 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Not surprised...although the vaccines doesn't prevent you from getting it or giving it to someone so I am not sure what the point is really.

The point is that it prevents severe disease, hospitalization, intubation, and death.

That's reason enough for me.

2 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

I will say the CDC here in the US did a good job on the documentation of the vaccinations. My "Covid-19 Passport" is now ready to go and have it clipped in my passport

There have been news articles about the risks of ID theft from posting images of your COVID vaccination cards.  While your photo doesn't show your name, you may still want to remove it.  Besides the ID threat, people have also created cards that show they've received their first vaccine with a real lot number which "proves" they are eligible for a second shot.  They do this twice to receive both shots when they aren't actually eligible to receive them yet.

2 hours ago, Mike.s said:

And as those of us in the UK know only to well anything our Government states a number of times has every chance of being changed at will

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-certificates-to-be-discussed-by-ministers-tomorrow-12215228

Typical... nothing like timing!

Although if looking foolish on here leads to progress in facilitating international travel when the time is right, then I'll happily take one for the team! ? 

2 hours ago, DD474 said:

I also have one of these cards.  (I'm sure millions of American's also have one of these cards). 

I will also attach this card to my passport. ? 

not really that different from the UK's handwritten card,  and yes for travel purposes easily faked

My first shot card is the same as the one posted, but in Iowa the public health dept maintains a master database and you will not get a shot in Iowa unless your in it, card or no card.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Only if you have been vaccinated in the past 3 months.....so there's that about it......?

This private healthcare provider in Florida is requiring all employees to get vaccinated.  

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/02/11/omni-healthcare-requiring-employees-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/#// 

“We are requiring that all of our employees be vaccinated as soon as they are eligible, providing there are no contraindications,” president and CEO Dr. Craig Deligdish said.

31 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Only if you have been vaccinated in the past 3 months.....so there's that about it......?

19 minutes ago, twangster said:

So everyone who has been vaccinated.

They can update the guidance as more is learned.

I think @monctonguyis saying that the lack of need for quarantine only applies if exposed during the first three months after vaccination. Yes, that would be everyone vaccinated to date but by mid-April, the first folks vaccinated would no longer be exempt from quarantine following exposure.

7 hours ago, monctonguy said:

That's my next prediction of what will come next from this pandemic......you can take this prediction to the bank too!!

I applaud RC for taking this stance and agree you will need proof of vaccination to travel. It’s highly likely the vaccine prevents you from contracting and transmitting the virus, however this has not been formally studied hence the news reports that they cannot confirm this. It will be studied and proven in time. What is also likely is this will be an annual shot like the flu shot so get ready to roll up your sleeve. I for one feel so much better and safer now that I have both my doses. It’s really liberating. 

41 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I think @monctonguyis saying that the lack of need for quarantine only applies if exposed during the first three months after vaccination. Yes, that would be everyone vaccinated to date but by mid-April, the first folks vaccinated would no longer be exempt from quarantine following exposure.

And @twangster is saying “as this initial class of vaccine recipients gets further out from their shots, the data will change and the 3 month window will turn into 6,9.12.......months”

If I may so bold as to speak for @twangster

8 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Yes, it works the same in Canada as everywhere else, being vaccinated prevents severe disease, hospitalization, intubation, and death as @SpeedNoodlesstated. 

So its been stated that having this vaccine doesn't prevent you from contracting Covid or transmitting it.....How does that fall under prevents disease, hospitalization ect???

1 hour ago, twangster said:

This private healthcare provider in Florida is requiring all employees to get vaccinated.  

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/02/11/omni-healthcare-requiring-employees-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/#// 

“We are requiring that all of our employees be vaccinated as soon as they are eligible, providing there are no contraindications,” president and CEO Dr. Craig Deligdish said.

Absolutely ridiculous.  Forcing people to get this vaccine is unconstitutional and should be illegal.  Its not your employers business or anyone elses to tell you that you have to put this crap into your body.  

7 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

So its been stated that having this vaccine doesn't prevent you from contracting Covid or transmitting it.....How does that fall under prevents disease, hospitalization ect???

Symptomatic Covid in a vaccinated individual would be (in most instances) very mild, not requiring hospitalization, but just rest and fluids at home, and a speedy recovery. This is the purpose of a vaccine. No vaccines completely prevent disease. 

5 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Absolutely ridiculous.  Forcing people to get this vaccine is unconstitutional and should be illegal.  Its not your employers business or anyone elses to tell you that you have to put this crap into your body.  

? it is for damn sure your employers business. If one of my employees went out, partied, and then spread it to coworkers, shutting down the company for X amount of time,  it would cost me money, and open up god knows what other legal actions. 

5 minutes ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

? it is for damn sure your employers business. If one of my employees went out, partied, and then spread it to coworkers, shutting down the company for X amount of time,  it would cost me money, and open up god knows what other legal actions. 

So are you going to monitor EVERYTHING your employees do?????  Why not have them wear ankle bracelets and put cameras in their houses?  Where does this insanity stop?????

8 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

No sir, this has been held up in federal court; your employer is completely within their rights to mandate this or any other vaccine they seem fit. The hospital I am on staff has a laundry list of vaccines that the staff must adhere to. 

4 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

So are you going to monitor EVERYTHING your employees do?????  Why not have them wear ankle bracelets and put cameras in their houses?  Where does this insanity stop?????

Florida is an at-will employment state. They are asking their employees to take precautions. Don't like it? Pack your bags. That is the power of at-will employment 

7 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Also, if you've got a smart phone/watch, you've pretty much got the whole ankle bracelet and camera thing down already 

6 minutes ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Florida is an at-will employment state. They are asking their employees to take precautions. Don't like it? Pack your bags. That is the power of at-will employment 

So you agree with violating peoples rights then?  This is where this entire situation turns political.  Ones rights only matter depending on which side of the agenda you are on.  

5 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

So you agree with violating peoples rights then?  This is where this entire situation turns political.  Ones rights only matter depending on which side of the agenda you are on.  

Except that isn't a violation of people's rights? There's nothing political about it, you're just wrong haha

16 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

At the risk of getting too far off topic, let me blow your mind. There is a massive healthcare system in my area. The require a “no smoking”pledge as a condition of employment. Annually everyone must submit to bloodwork and a health assessment. Nicotine positive on your blood work is cause for termination of employment. 

Employees must also where a 2 way communication fob on their uniform at all times while on the clock, this fob also records and reports their location in real time to a central hub. 

Point being, employers have a lot of influence over their employees. 

TX is an “at will” employment state as well.