Dark theme for the site?

JLMoran

Dark Mode  

14 members have voted

1. 1. If Matt could make a Dark Mode theme for the site, would you use it?

• Yes
    • No

@Matt, not sure if this is even something the site can offer, but any chance you could implement a Dark Mode visual display that users could select as an alternate to the current display? I use Dark Mode with everything on my computer, and have come to appreciate the reduction in eye strain it offers (especially at night). Put a poll as part of this topic to gauge general interest.

One oddity I see now that dark mode is available -- in both dark and light mode, there is a flash as the screen loads, and also an odd honeycomb graphic that cycles if it's a slow load. Is that flash something that's baked into these themes, or can that be selectively shut off? It's particularly jarring in dark mode.

OMG been burning my retinas till now. Yeah the flash when loading kinda sucks but when I decide to browse a little when I can't sleep at least I don't feel like an image is being burned into the back of my skull. 

Now to add a dark theme for the main site as well. 

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

Looks like only paying members can log in / set up an account to leave comments or make forum posts. But I did see a comment on that product page about the transition issue; the plugin author said he uses a custom CSS loading transition on his own site to handle that. Not sure if he plans to roll that into an update to the product at some point, but I found a bunch of CSS in the custom.css file loaded in that site's <head> section referring to #loader ID. Guessing that's how to modify it, but not sure if that CSS file is editable at all. I may try making a custom CSS to use on this site that overrides those #loader selectors and see if that clears the issue with the white color while loading.

Took me awhile to understand the comments about the flash and hex thing.  I guess I browse differently than most.  I right click on the blue dots next to each thread I'm interested in reading and choose "open in a new tab" which opens all those threads to their first unread post.  By the time I start clicking through the tabs, they are all loaded.

3 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I right click on the blue dots next to each thread I'm interested in reading and choose "open in a new tab" which opens all those threads to their first unread post.

Have you tried "middle click" (aka mouse wheel)? Unless you have a magic mouse or MAC in general, then you'll need a third party application, or command + click.