Canada: Negative test at land borders too

It has, but from what I understand, there are some exceptions that still allow many to cross over by car. I think this means that those people will also need a negative test too now? Either way, it’s just getting more and more complicated. My trip to the Rockies is looking better and better, as long as I can get vaccinated in time. 

10 minutes ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Is it a bad thing that they don't want people coming in with positive tests?

I don't see where anyone has suggested that known positive people should be going anywhere, much less crossing the boundary between the US and Canada.

There are reasons for crossing over other than tourism/leisure.  Some border states/provinces have families who straddle the line.    Trade must go on as well.

9 minutes ago, teddy said:

I'm curious how this will affect trade.

There is still truck traffic crossing the border.

I am wondering this too.  As well all the people who work across the border and still travel regularly between the two places.  This just came out about an hour ago so I haven't been able to find too many details yet.

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

As well all the people who work across the border and still travel regularly between the two places. 

Absolutely.

I grew up on the Maine/Quebec border (and still have a place there) and have friends who regularly cross for legit reasons.  My wife was born in New Brunswick and has a lot of family there.

A long time friend of mine crosses from ME to Que regularly delivering fuel oil and propane....multiple times a week.  He has Canadian accounts as well as US ones...there are places in Maine that cannot be reached by vehicle in the winter unless you go through Canada.

Edited to add:  This goes beyond cruising..sorry for the tangent.

6 minutes ago, steverk said:

Or for that matter, there's even a short segment of CN railroad's main line that dips in to the USA

I forgot about rail traffic.

CP Rail recently repurchased the line they sold in the mid-90s.  Last US stop going west from Maine is in my hometown.  Trains are still currently running back and forth

There is no tourism travel allowed across land borders..only air....so this rule doesn't affect most of us here.

Could it effect essential workers...i hope not as its getting worse and worse with all the rules and regulations for them.

Air Canada just cancelled many more routes and laid off hundreds more. We hardly have no air service  left, no cruising allowed till 2022 and now land crossings are even harder for those who are "Allowed" to cross it...so we can eat and not starve to death.

We are going backwards....way backwards with this. If anyone thinks we are closer to travel again....think again!!! AND they aren't coming up with all these rules and tests and regulations and forced quarantine camps for a cpl days or weeks....we are still talking in terms or months if not years.

We're all at different stages. We were locked in our houses for 111 days straight last year, other than one person allowed to go to supermarket once per day for food, and one hour outdoor exercise per day. Fast forward 6 months and life is pretty normal here now except for international travel. The world will eventually get there it's just gonna take time for those countries with larger populations.

5 hours ago, monctonguy said:

There is no tourism travel allowed across land borders..only air....so this rule doesn't affect most of us here.

Could it effect essential workers...i hope not as its getting worse and worse with all the rules and regulations for them.

Air Canada just cancelled many more routes and laid off hundreds more. We hardly have no air service  left, no cruising allowed till 2022 and now land crossings are even harder for those who are "Allowed" to cross it...so we can eat and not starve to death.

We are going backwards....way backwards with this. If anyone thinks we are closer to travel again....think again!!! AND they aren't coming up with all these rules and tests and regulations and forced quarantine camps for a cpl days or weeks....we are still talking in terms or months if not years.

It's not that bad, plenty of opportunity to get out and enjoy the great outdoors in Canada.

image.thumb.png.ab9689026134b4447003888f9707abca.png

This was offered up on another forum.

Apparently Canada tracks COVID positive individuals that were later determined through contract tracing to have been on a plane.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/exposure-flights-cruise-ships-mass-gatherings.html#wb-auto-4

In the last two weeks 67 domestic flights and 101 international flights were determined to have COVID positive case(s) on board.   Many of the entries show the rows impacted so if you were also on the flight you know if self quarantining is appropriate.

Still want to fly somewhere?

They also track trains and cruises ships on the page but with cruises ships out of service there is nothing to show.

It seems they only publish the last two weeks since after that the risk to anyone else that was on a flight has passed. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Still want to fly somewhere?

Surprisingly, the rate of positive cases linked to travel remains low, at least in Alberta. Not sure about the rest of Canada as it isn’t reported like it is in Alberta. Under the Calgary quarantine pilot, its 1.11% and out of all Alberta’s active cases (5706) there are only 159 that are linked to travel.  So I may be willing to assume that risk if I could return without being detained in a government facility.  Lol ?

On 2/9/2021 at 10:35 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am wondering this too.  As well all the people who work across the border and still travel regularly between the two places.  This just came out about an hour ago so I haven't been able to find too many details yet.

I located this in the article so at least truckers are exempt. 

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair suggested Friday that the testing measures — though not officially announced at the time — would not apply to truckers “to ensure supply chains, essential services, and support for critical infrastructure” were unharmed.

11 minutes ago, Jax said:

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair suggested Friday that the testing measures — though not officially announced at the time — would not apply to truckers “to ensure supply chains, essential services, and support for critical infrastructure” were unharmed.

Hmmm.  So if I get a CDL and rent a semi I can visit Canada.  

39 minutes ago, Jax said:

Yes, I came across the exceptions too today. Truck drivers and health care workers exempt. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Apparently Canada tracks COVID positive individuals that were later determined through contract tracing to have been on a plane.  

It’s been running for a while now...

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/exposure-flights-cruise-ships-mass-gatherings.html