New check in process in app

Leroyr55

I was just trying to check in for a May sailing (that I'm sure will get cancelled but just in case) and there used to be an option to choose birth certificate as your travel document and now the only option is passport. My passport should hopefully arrive in time but I don't know that for sure and I don't have the number and expiration off of it anyway. Is this new?

1 hour ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

I was just trying to check in for a May sailing (that I'm sure will get cancelled but just in case) and there used to be an option to choose birth certificate as your travel document and now the only option is passport. My passport should hopefully arrive in time but I don't know that for sure and I don't have the number and expiration off of it anyway. Is this new?

Might be a bleed effect from their Singapore sailings, since all sailings from Singapore require a passport. Once there is a more solid date that cruise restart worldwide, they may adjust the app accordingly. That's what I'm thinking anyway

2 hours ago, wannabecruiseexpert said:

The only time I've experienced that pre-pandemic was in cases where a passport was required such as a transatlantic sailing.  Certain cruises require a passport and only in those cases was passport the only option at check in.  

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

The only time I've experienced that pre-pandemic was in cases where a passport was required such as a transatlantic sailing.  Certain cruises require a passport and only in those cases was passport the only option at check in.  

This one is just a 3 night sailing to Cococay. For some reason the app never works for me and always says check back later (even after deleting and reinstalling) so I was trying it online and that's where I saw the passport only option.

6 hours ago, greenline627 said:

If there are three parties traveling together to the port how can you make sure they all get the same check in time?

Depending what RCI implements, you may not be able to travel with 2 other parties with maximum gathering sizes for groups. Difficult, but not impossible to enforce. It’s really up in the air until there a solid plan in place for any sailing outside of Singapore now 

1 hour ago, greenline627 said:

I only mean we are coming to the port with the same car service we are all in different cabins. we only only need to check in at the same time.

Scheduled and enforced checked in times for Royal has never been done before in North America so no one can answer your question.  We are all waiting to see how this is going to work.  

The closest thing that was being done that is similar was down under in Sydney Australia.  I didn't arrive or attempt to check in with another party but I can tell you they looked at everyone's setsail pass and turned people away until it was the time on the pass.  I have no idea how a group with different times on their setsail passes would have been handled. 

Now that we are in this pandemic the purpose of timed arrivals, if they are going to enforce them (that itself is an assumption) is to spread out traffic to avoid too many in the terminal building at once.  If you have kids in another cabin with a different time I could see them allowing the kids to go with you at your time.   If it is another set of adults I could see them requiring each party to arrive based on their allotted time but that is just my guess with nothing to back it up.

The people working the terminal are not Royal Caribbean employees.  They are locals working for a contract company and they work multiple cruise lines in most cases.  One cruise line might tell them they want it done one way and another cruise on a different day wants it a different way.  They don't always know how each cruise line status tiers work and it's easy for them to briefly forget what cruise line process it is at any given moment or what cruise line they are doing on that day.  One door guard could let it go and another could be strict.  

I also imagine (but don't know for sure) that the first dozen or so cruises after the restart are going to be a learning curve for everyone involved including the terminal contactors.  Two months later it's probably going to be a smoother experience.  Depending when your cruise is relative to the restart date may influence your experience.

Unfortunately we just don't know yet.