Cozumel -- Embarkation Port?

On 2/14/2021 at 8:33 PM, twangster said:

The problem I have with the powers granted to the CDC is the lack of a check of that power. 

This is the most succinct description of the problem that I have with the CDC too. And, I don't think that the cruise industry is big enough outside of FL and maybe AK for those who love cruising to have any affect on their elected reps with letter writing, calls, etc. The current administration will let them do whatever they want.

My wish is for their role to be moved to the Coast Guard because they have hands on knowledge of dealing with the environment on a ship and seem to be less susceptible to PR pressure. Medical dictators need to be put in their place as medical advisors.

9 hours ago, Allen2 said:

If the airlines don't fly many passengers, then many cruise passengers cannot reach their ports - no matter what the cruise lines are able to accomplish.

Unless the flying public is readily willing and able to fly but the CDC is still not allowing cruise ships to sail from US ports "out of an abundance of caution".

My fear is the the CDC will retain the cruise ship shutdown longer than necessary just to be safe.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Unless the flying public is readily willing and able to fly but the CDC is still not allowing cruise ships to sail from US ports "out of an abundance of caution".

My fear is the the CDC will retain the cruise ship shutdown longer than necessary just to be safe.

I would say its already a reality not a fear.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:40 AM, teddy said:

Since we cruise on the cheap, our flights from Portland can be as much as or more than our cruise fare as well.  Flights out of Boston are cheaper, but getting there puts the total cost very close to flights out of Portland, and we live about 10 miles from the Portland Jetport.  It's nice to land and be able to get home quickly.

Makes it easy to justify a longer cruise or a back to back....cause you know....we're already down there.

Teddy, we have this same problem (we're in Buxton). We found that going to Portsmouth and taking the C&J to Logan is actually way cheaper than normal for getting there, parking, etc. and still allows us to save considerably on the flights. I totally understand this doesn't include the cost of time, having to drive away from home, and the hassle of not being right in Portland after the flight, but it's worth looking at. 

11 hours ago, Allen2 said:

If the airlines don't fly many passengers, then many cruise passengers cannot reach their ports - no matter what the cruise lines are able to accomplish.

FWIW, Royal Caribbean has said the first sailings will begin in "drive markets", which means ships that sail from places where a lot of guests drive to the ship.

2 hours ago, nhilding10 said:

Teddy, we have this same problem (we're in Buxton). We found that going to Portsmouth and taking the C&J to Logan is actually way cheaper than normal for getting there, parking, etc. and still allows us to save considerably on the flights. I totally understand this doesn't include the cost of time, having to drive away from home, and the hassle of not being right in Portland after the flight, but it's worth looking at. 

This is good to know.  Thank you very much!!  Neither my wife nor I knew about C&J.

Portsmouth is an easy drive.  We're in Windham. very close to 302.

21 hours ago, teddy said:

This is good to know.  Thank you very much!!  Neither my wife nor I knew about C&J.

Portsmouth is an easy drive.  We're in Windham. very close to 302.

Happy to help! Like I said, it's not as "quick and easy" as PWM, so I understand that point, but the C&J is $24 per person, round trip from Portsmouth to Logan, runs basically 24/7 and has very convenient timing, and has free parking. Works out way cheaper than driving all the way to Logan and paying for the parking their alone, and you get the savings of the flights. Definitely worth a look, if you don't mind the added time and distance of Logan over PWM from home. 

On 2/13/2021 at 8:59 PM, TXcruzer said:

So the CDC won’t allow a cruise ship to load passengers, but they will allow boat “shuttles”?? Come on now 

It's an idea.  Just like the idea that I had of all the cruise lines pulling out of US ports and going to other ports.  Example:  Grandeur now going to use Barbados.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, SandyW said:

It's an idea.  Just like the idea that I had of all the cruise lines pulling out of US ports and going to other ports.  Example:  Grandeur now going to use Barbados.

But Barbados has been an embarkation point for quite some time, it’s not the same. 

Somewhere around a decade ago on a Carnival ship from San Juan they offered embarkations in Barbados as well as San Juan on that itinerary.  I remember seeing victims guests do their muster as we returned feeling little pain from the Jolly Roger in Barbados.

P&O has used Barbados as a home port as well.

Barbados has a long history in this role.  Warehouses are in close proximity to one side of the cruise ship harbor so resupply isn't a challenge.

I can see the appeal for Royal to move a ship the size of Grandeur with no other clear place to move her.  Barbados could prove to be a smart call as a home port for this ship.    

• 3 weeks later...

I think we found the more likely candidate to bypass the CDC the next time a pandemic comes to America.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/03/12/royal-caribbean-close-purchasing-grand-lucayan-resort-freeport

This project was in the works before COVID-19 came calling but looking at the project with fresh eyes, if it had been completed and in operation today, this would be a more ideal candidate to bypass the CDC and a place to launch ships from.

Royal has already shown how it can charter airplanes for Barbados, chartering aircraft for direct flights from the US to Grand Bahamas would be even easier.  There is established ferries to the islands of the Bahamas from Florida.  Chartering a couple of ferries is also an option and easy for FL residents.

With a hotel on Grand Bahamas guests could also stay there for a night or more and then board a cruise departing from Grand Bahamas. 

Supplies to replenish the ship could also be sent over from Florida using freezer containers on barges for loading on cruise ships.

Looking beyond the pandemic, this could also be used to avoid running foul of the PVSA but allow guests greater flexibility for itineraries involving different US cities. 

Galveston to New York with a night in a hotel on Grand Bahamas in between cruises and the PVSA is satisfied.  To repo a ship from Miami to New York today means no passengers since it violates the PVSA.  Sail the ship from Miami to Grand Bahamas.  Guests get off and spend a night or two in a hotel.  Other hotel guests board the ship and do a two night cruise to Cococay.  Ships returns and any hotel guests who would like to sail from Grand Bahamas to New York can do so without the PVSA becoming involved.

Grand Bahamas becomes a transportation hub.  Bayonne to GB,  Baltimore to GB,  Canaveral to GB, Miami to GB, Tampa to GB, Galveston to GB, GB to Western Caribbean, GB to Eastern Caribbean, etc.  Mix and match for your perfect getaway.

#gamechanger

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I think we found the more likely candidate to bypass the CDC the next time a pandemic comes to America.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/03/12/royal-caribbean-close-purchasing-grand-lucayan-resort-freeport

This project was in the works before COVID-19 came calling but looking at the project with fresh eyes, if it had been completed and in operation today, this would be a more ideal candidate to bypass the CDC and a place to launch ships from.

Royal has already shown how it can charter airplanes for Barbados, chartering aircraft for direct flights from the US to Grand Bahamas would be even easier.  There is established ferries to the islands of the Bahamas from Florida.  Chartering a couple of ferries is also an option and easy for FL residents.

With a hotel on Grand Bahamas guests could also stay there for a night or more and then board a cruise departing from Grand Bahamas. 

Supplies to replenish the ship could also be sent over from Florida using freezer containers on barges for loading on cruise ships.

Looking beyond the pandemic, this could also be used to avoid running foul of the PVSA but allow guests greater flexibility for itineraries involving different US cities. 

Galveston to New York with a night in a hotel on Grand Bahamas in between cruises and the PVSA is satisfied.  To repo a ship from Miami to New York today means no passengers since it violates the PVSA.  Sail the ship from Miami to Grand Bahamas.  Guests get off and spend a night or two in a hotel.  Other hotel guests board the ship and do a two night cruise to Cococay.  Ships returns and any hotel guests who would like to sail from Grand Bahamas to New York can do so without the PVSA becoming involved.

Grand Bahamas becomes a transportation hub.  Bayonne to GB,  Baltimore to GB,  Canaveral to GB, Miami to GB, Tampa to GB, Galveston to GB, GB to Western Caribbean, GB to Eastern Caribbean, etc.  Mix and match for your perfect getaway.

#gamechanger

Why wait until the next time ... there isn't any evidence to suggest the CDC isn't currently in need of being bypassed.