Cozumel -- Embarkation Port?

Intriguing idea posed by Tony, the La Lido Loca guy...apparently, the mayor of Cozumel made a proposal to MSC to make the island an embarkation port. If Royal were to find a way to agree to participate, I would be into it just to get out from under the clutches of the cdc. The questions are how would ships be provisioned from there and what hoops will exist to get back to the US. I would do a couple nights before and after a cruise is Coz if this option materializes. Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Intriguing idea posed by Tony, the La Lido Loca guy...apparently, the mayor of Cozumel made a proposal to MSC to make the island an embarkation port. If Royal were to find a way to agree to participate, I would be into it just to get out from under the clutches of the cdc. The questions are how would ships be provisioned from there and what hoops will exist to get back to the US. I would do a couple nights before and after a cruise is Coz if this option materializes. Thoughts?

Without thinking too hard, here are a couple obstacles I think would pose a problem.

The new CDC requirement for a negative Covid test prior to returning by air to the USA-how many will be willing to deal with finding a test in Cozumel and waiting for it before you fly home?

A large percentage of cruisers to not hold a passport-this fact excludes a fair number of potential customers.

Since Cozumel must bring nearly 100% of their own supplies from mainland Mexico, would it be economically feasible, or even possible, to handle the sheer volume of materials needed to stock even a midsize ship?

This is something I mentioned a few months ago actually. 

The covid testing is easy enough and cruise ships were already going to have to do to sail.  Cruise ships could easily offer the test on disembarkation age since most of the requirements are up to 3 days or so before travel it would be easy enough to hop off the ship and get a room then fly back.

Supplies can also be worked around with since any port where they dock for 5 to 8 hours can technically be a point where supplies are taken on and waste is removed it may be a little bit of a challenge but can be done. 

And while a passport is a little bit of a pain to get in some areas its easier to get than a real id. Plus it's still better to cruise with a passport anyway and opens up even more travel for the holder. 

Honestly I can't believe it's taken this long for it to have started to get some steam going. For me the issue is the increased costs of flying to the port area and I'm guessing that will be the issue for others as well. I like cruising as a means of seeing other places because the journey becomes a part of the adventure. 

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

Without thinking too hard, here are a couple obstacles I think would pose a problem.

The new CDC requirement for a negative Covid test prior to returning by air to the USA-how many will be willing to deal with finding a test in Cozumel and waiting for it before you fly home?

I've been hearing some all inclusives are doing testing in Quintana Roo...another obstacle that may exist from Coz is...I don't think I have ever seen any bunkering going on at any of the piers in Coz except for a Mexican navy ship at the downtown pier where MSC and Disney dock.

31 minutes ago, MuttMutt said:

This is something I mentioned a few months ago actually. 

The covid testing is easy enough and cruise ships were already going to have to do to sail.  Cruise ships could easily offer the test on disembarkation age since most of the requirements are up to 3 days or so before travel it would be easy enough to hop off the ship and get a room then fly back.

Supplies can also be worked around with since any port where they dock for 5 to 8 hours can technically be a point where supplies are taken on and waste is removed it may be a little bit of a challenge but can be done. 

And while a passport is a little bit of a pain to get in some areas its easier to get than a real id. Plus it's still better to cruise with a passport anyway and opens up even more travel for the holder. 

Honestly I can't believe it's taken this long for it to have started to get some steam going. For me the issue is the increased costs of flying to the port area and I'm guessing that will be the issue for others as well. I like cruising as a means of seeing other places because the journey becomes a part of the adventure. 

The test required to fly back into the country must be a lab run test, with lab report. I doubt the ships testing abilities will be able to satisfy this requirement. This brings to mind another question, does the island of Cozumel have the ability to process thousands of tests on debarkation day?

Regarding supplies, Royal rarely (if ever) takes on any stores in a port of call. I have not been on every pier in Cozumel, but have experienced quite a few. I can’t recall any that were built In such a way that stocking a ship would be feasible. 

I agree with everything you are saying about the passport, but that doesn’t change the fact that MANY refuse to make the investment. 

just my 2 cents 

I would say that for many canadians, that will be a bit difficult. Many are used to fly to cities in Florida, mainly Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Orlando. In addition, a large percentage will stay before or after the cruise, for a few days in or around the major attractions.

I guess we will have to wait for the CDC.

Love the idea but apart from port logistics, there next to no direct flights to Cozumel. Yes, Cancun and then the vomit vomit ferry over. But it’s a noticeable hurdle. 

I love Cozumel, and I’d much rather go there to start a cruise than Barbados. 

While the CDC isn't a very well run organization they are quick to protect their silo of power.  Any attempt to circumvent their intention will not go unnoticed.  They'll find a way to curtail any significant effort aimed to to bypass them for US citizens.  The current testing requirement for international air travel is nearly enough to accomplish that but if they really wanted to they could make it even more difficult or unappealing for most Americans to visit Mexico.  In fact if they determine that Mexico represents a risk to the US for current travelers they could take a number of steps tomorrow to make such trips unappealing.

Plus the extra cost of flights and hotels alone will force many to decline.  Barbados will face the same hurdle.  The cost of flights for my December sailing is looking to exceed the cost of the cruise.  If that doesn't change I'll be quick to exercise my refundable deposit.  I'd rather take two cruises from Florida once it reopens over one cruise and an expensive flight.   Will a family of four be willing to add several thousand to the cruise cost for airfare?

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Love the idea but apart from port logistics, there next to no direct flights to Cozumel. Yes, Cancun and then the vomit vomit ferry over. But it’s a noticeable hurdle. 

I love Cozumel, and I’d much rather go there to start a cruise than Barbados. 

I guess I'm lucky in that Southwest offers daily non-stop service from Houston to both Cancun and Cozumel from Houston.  I certainly understand the issue for most people though!

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

While the CDC isn't a very well run organization they are quick to protect their silo of power.  Any attempt to circumvent their intention will not go unnoticed.  They'll find a way to curtail any significant effort aimed to to bypass them for US citizens.  The current testing requirement for international air travel is nearly enough to accomplish that but if they really wanted to they could make it even more difficult or unappealing for most Americans to visit Mexico.  In fact if they determine that Mexico represents a risk to the US for current travelers they could take a number of steps tomorrow to make such trips unappealing.

Plus the extra cost of flights and hotels alone will force many to decline.  Barbados will face the same hurdle.  The cost of flights for my December sailing is looking to exceed the cost of the cruise.  If that doesn't change I'll be quick to exercise my refundable deposit.  I'd rather take two cruises from Florida once it reopens over one cruise and an expensive flight.   Will a family of four be willing to add several thousand to the cruise cost for airfare?

CDC protecting their power is one of my biggest concerns.  In fact, I question if they will allow any loosening of COVID restrictions until forced to do so.  I can hear the argument now: "We haven't had a COVID case in X months, but we don't dare open up or We will be back in the mess again! Follow the science!"

On Barbados, I completely agree.  I called Air2Sea to get a price. $1800 per person.  In comparison, my cruise fare was $559! Ouch!

Perhaps test with a single ship see how the business case works out.   Provisioning will need to meet company standards for health and safety - but a good way to restart.  The USG bureaucrats will be vindictive in some manner.  Make it harder to fly etc.  (If this cruise ban continues into '22, lines will have no choice but to shift embarkations to other parts of the world - we'll see smaller fleets too)

47 minutes ago, steverk said:

I guess I'm lucky in that Southwest offers daily non-stop service from Houston to both Cancun and Cozumel from Houston.  I certainly understand the issue for most people though!

Is CZM new for Southwest?  When I missed my Galveston cruise Southwest couldn't get me to CZM because they didn't fly there.  That was the only saving grace that caused my insurance to eventually pay out.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The cost of flights for my December sailing is looking to exceed the cost of the cruise.  I'd rather take two cruises from Florida once it reopens over one cruise and an expensive flight.   Will a family of four be willing to add several thousand to the cruise cost for airfare?

Is that not normal? I don't think I have ever had a cheaper flight than my cruise??!..Oh right....I live in Canada..... ?

But I think it would be much easier for the cruise lines to wait for the US to open back up again, but perhaps for future versions of Covid they should think about a back up plan as a I am pretty sure a precedent has been set with shutting down travel for viruses now.

10 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Is that not normal? I don't think I have ever had a cheaper flight than my cruise??!..Oh right....I live in Canada.....

Since we cruise on the cheap, our flights from Portland can be as much as or more than our cruise fare as well.  Flights out of Boston are cheaper, but getting there puts the total cost very close to flights out of Portland, and we live about 10 miles from the Portland Jetport.  It's nice to land and be able to get home quickly.

Makes it easy to justify a longer cruise or a back to back....cause you know....we're already down there.

Love the Portland Jetport.....so easy to get in and out of....and lots of options...its our preferred airport for flying south.....usually stay in the Cumberland Mills area as lots of hotels and restaurants and shuttle options.

Its cheaper for us to drive 6 hrs and pay for a hotel to fly out of Portland than it is from Canada......

Flights to Florida right now for us would be over 13 hrs of flying.....3 different planes and almost $1000....

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is CZM new for Southwest?  When I missed my Galveston cruise Southwest couldn't get me to CZM because they didn't fly there.  That was the only saving grace that caused my insurance to eventually pay out.  

I looked on the website and they showed a direct flight between HOU and CZM.  I only checked on Saturday, so I don't know how frequent it is, but it was there.

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

I have to imagine the pier would be difficult for forklifts to load luggage and stock the ship in Cozumel.  It's not really setup for cargo functions, more of a pedestrian walkway.  

I agree about the cruise docks currently in use, but surely they must have a freight dock somewhere.  According to Wikipedia, there are 100,000 residents on the island.  Food, building materials, automobiles, clothing, trinkets, etc. have to get on the island somehow.  

Back in 1999, Houston had the Barbers Cut container port double as a cruise embarkation port. Perhaps Cozumel is planning something similar.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

While the CDC isn't a very well run organization they are quick to protect their silo of power. 

Another reason why I think the Cost Guard should do the enforcement and the CDC should only be advisory...I say this not having any idea what dominos this would push over or what cans of worms get opened. I have had the impression for a long time that the CDC does nothing to correct the petri dish narrative.

22 minutes ago, steverk said:

I agree about the cruise docks currently in use, but surely they must have a freight dock somewhere.  According to Wikipedia, there are 100,000 residents on the island.  Food, building materials, automobiles, clothing, trinkets, etc. have to get on the island somehow.  

Back in 1999, Houston had the Barbers Cut container port double as a cruise embarkation port. Perhaps Cozumel is planning something similar.

With that population and the hotels, they would have to have a viable food and supply distribution system on the island rather than relying on shipping...just a guess.

30 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

With that population and the hotels, they would have to have a viable food and supply distribution system on the island rather than relying on shipping...just a guess.

I agree we're both guessing as I haven't spent any time on the island investigating such things. 

However, I do know they don't have enough land, or farms, to be self sufficient on the island.  Therefore, just like other islands, such as Hawaii, many things have to come in by ship or barge.  That requires a freight dock somewhere. Is it big enough for this purpose? IDK.  It's just a thought of how they might be planning to make all this work.

That said, a combo freight dock/embarkation port is OK for a while, but not an ideal arrangement.  If this is going to be a permanent thing, a new terminal will be required.

This was my opinion in the thread about the Grandeur being home ported in Barbados. 

"If by chance they do start Caribbean operations(embarkation) in another port other than San Juan, my grin will be from cheek to cheek!?  ?"

With all the negative things or shall I say challenges people have indicated that the cruise line may face,  let's give them some positive feedback so they might even consider it.  Let them be the ones to figure it out (with some positive suggestions from us)  LOL

The Mayor was BRILLIANT with her proposal.  

At the end of the day when will the CDC lift the COVID test requirement to fly international?  

They'll lift the international COVID test requirement probably close to the time they let ships sail.  In the interim it will cost significant time, energy and money to plan and implement new home ports anywhere.  All that would be lost if the CDC squashes it with a new mandate aimed at making sure those ships don't sail with Americans.  Plus that would just poke the bear and make it more angry leading to prolonged CDC ship restrictions at home.   If anyone tries to work around the CDC cruise ship orders the CDC will find ways to stop it.  

If they did move home ports and sold cruises into 2022 and beyond what happens when the CDC ban at home is lifted?  Few will want to sail from those new home ports leaving all that investment to get it going lost.  People will cancel in masses and book cruises from home, maybe on another cruise line if they have to because Royal will have ships deployed elsewhere.

Plus it's one thing for a guest to do this once but to be successful they need to fill ships week after week, month after month.  Can they really fill ships embarking at a foreign Caribbean port on an ongoing basis?  They couldn't in San Juan often leading to bargain cruise rates pre-pandemic.  If it wasn't for the high cost of airfare to San Juan I would have cruised from there more often given the cheaper cruise fares.  Hmmm, that sounds like the issue Barbados has - high airfare costs.

Love creative thinking but this is fraught with business risk.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

At the end of the day when will the CDC lift the COVID test requirement to fly international?  

They'll lift the international COVID test requirement probably close to the time they let ships sail.  In the interim it will cost significant time, energy and money to plan and implement new home ports anywhere.  All that would be lost if the CDC squashes it with a new mandate aimed at making sure those ships don't sail with Americans.  Plus that would just poke the bear and make it more angry leading to prolonged CDC ship restrictions at home.   If anyone tries to work around the CDC cruise ship orders the CDC will find ways to stop it.  

If they did move home ports and sold cruises into 2022 and beyond what happens when the CDC ban at home is lifted?  Few will want to sail from those new home ports leaving all that investment to get it going lost.  People will cancel in masses and book cruises from home, maybe on another cruise line if they have to because Royal will have ships deployed elsewhere.

Plus it's one thing for a guest to do this once but to be successful they need to fill ships week after week, month after month.  Can they really fill ships embarking at a foreign Caribbean port on an ongoing basis?  They couldn't in San Juan often leading to bargain cruise rates pre-pandemic.  If it wasn't for the high cost of airfare to San Juan I would have cruised from there more often given the cheaper cruise fares.  Hmmm, that sound like the issue Barbados has - high airfare costs.

Love creative thinking but this is fraught with business risk.

You make good points about the risk but at the same time if the CDC continues to demonstrate that they have no intention of allowing cruising to resume anytime soon you have to start to balance that risk as well.

I think after almost a full year with no sign of anything easing they have to be considering the idea of starting at least a ship or two down "another" path than just waiting on the CDC.

I think most cruise lines are evaluating what RCL has implemented in Singapore. Even though it is one ship sailing to nowhere, at least, it is a revenue stream coming in and also a way to fine tune all the protocols they have to put in place.

My guess is that RCL will try one or two ships in the caribbean in the coming months. Better a small revenue than no revenue at all. In the meantime, the CDC will not be really angered since it would be a small operation. The bear can remain in hibernation ...

2 hours ago, haf said:

I think most cruise lines are evaluating what RCL has implemented in Singapore. Even though it is one ship sailing to nowhere, at least, it is a revenue stream coming in and also a way to fine tune all the protocols they have to put in place.

My guess is that RCL will try one or two ships in the caribbean in the coming months. Better a small revenue than no revenue at all. In the meantime, the CDC will not be really angered since it would be a small operation. The bear can remain in hibernation ...

I don’t think this is realistic. They don’t have the money to try and “re invent the wheel” right now. It would be prohibitively expensive to just “try” a couple ships embarking in the Caribbean and the revenues would not offset the expense. 

2 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

I don’t think this is realistic. They don’t have the money to try and “re invent the wheel” right now. It would be prohibitively expensive to just “try” a couple ships embarking in the Caribbean and the revenues would not offset the expense. 

Well, they will at least try something before going under. But, sure it is not easy to start in the caribbean and then be told it is a no-no. Cruise lines suffer and we suffer also.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:10 AM, twangster said:

Have boat shuttles from US ports to the Bahamas and then board the cruise there.  Most of the lines have their own islands anyhow.  This is my personal idea.  That way people do not have to fly out of the country.  And it would be just a short trip over anyhow.  Coming back though would be the challenge.  The CDC IMO is doing everything they can to destroy the cruise industry, of which they know nothing about, obviously.

I think lines should just pick a practical (provisioning, hotels, and air accessibility) non-US embarkation  port, and operate "A" ship that makes sense for that port.  Just get  1 ships or 2 on a regular schedule to keep the machinery and crews running. Maybe over a 6 month period.   Mirror what's going on with Quantum.  Lean forward 

52 minutes ago, SandyW said:

Have boat shuttles from US ports to the Bahamas and then board the cruise there.  Most of the lines have their own islands anyhow.  This is my personal idea.  That way people do not have to fly out of the country.  And it would be just a short trip over anyhow.  Coming back though would be the challenge.  The CDC IMO is doing everything they can to destroy the cruise industry, of which they know nothing about, obviously.

So the CDC won’t allow a cruise ship to load passengers, but they will allow boat “shuttles”?? Come on now 

12 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

So the CDC won’t allow a cruise ship to load passengers, but they will allow boat “shuttles”?? Come on now 

Interestingly if the shuttles didnt have more than 100 passengers they probably wouldnt be subject to CDC approval ... highlighthing further the abursdity of the whole situation.

I don't think the CDC is targeting the cruise industry.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like what they are doing.  Look at the airlines pushing back now that they are in the CDC crosshairs.  

The problem I have with the powers granted to the CDC is the lack of a check of that power.  That opens the door for this agency to run away out of control with an unclear branch to reign them in.  That's what I think is occuring with the CDC.  They've gotten away with with cruise lines, they may have bitten off more than they can chew with domestic airlines concepts they are suggesting.  If they do get their way with the airlines, the cruise lines face a very uncertain future.

14 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't think the CDC is targeting the cruise industry.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like what they are doing.  Look at the airlines pushing back now that they are in the CDC crosshairs.  

The problem I have with the powers granted to the CDC is the lack of a check of that power.  That opens the door for this agency to run away out of control with an unclear branch to reign them in.  That's what I think is occuring with the CDC.  They've gotten away with with cruise lines, they may have bitten off more than they can chew with domestic airlines concepts they are suggesting.  If they do get their way with the airlines, the cruise lines face a very uncertain future.

good points.  I also think the domestic airlines have more political clout than the cruise lines.  Note i have heard the airlines are complaining big time about the international covid test requirement and pointing out already their loss of revenue and need for more bailout.