Trying Royal Caribbean after Disney Cruise Line

Sandya

Going on our first RC cruise on July 3,2014 on the Explorer.... We have cruise with Disney a few times before and I am a little nervous that it won't be as good as DCL. With Disney you ONLY pay for alcoholic drinks and specialty coffee, we have shampoo, conditioner, body cream every day in our staterooms, we also don't get charge for pool towels, they have cabinets full of them as well as bins where you can put the wet ones..... Little things, but they do add up when you are paying just as much!!! Any words of advice??

(I split your post here because I did not want it lost in the "When is your next cruise" thread)

I understand your concerns, Royal Caribbean and DCL run things differently and by in large, I think the experience is going to be similar.  Royal Caribbean doesn't charge for towels (they used to charge if you did not return your pool/beach towels at the end of the cruise but that ended Jan 1).  

You still get shampoo in your stateroom (although it's not in bottles, there's a dispenser on the wall).  

I've said often I feel Royal Caribbean is just as good (if not better) experience as DCL.  I used to love cruising with DCL but they lost me with their absurd pricing and lack of itinerary variety.  You will still find RC to be a welcoming family friendly cruise line and I wouldn't worry about those things.

If you have more specific concerns, I'm sure we can address them for you here :)

Thanks so much Matt, you are really helping me feel ok about the trip!!

An other question, since the cruise we are going is mostly sold out, the only room we could get for DH, DS, DS and my self was on deck 2 and just with a window.... How much room those staterooms have? Can I storage our suitcases under the bed like DCL?and since we are going on a 9 night cruise, do they have laundry facilities? I will need an iron...also do you know how many formal nights?

Sorry to bother you so much!!

An other question, since the cruise we are going is mostly sold out, the only room we could get for DH, DS, DS and my self was on deck 2 and just with a window.... How much room those staterooms have? Can I storage our suitcases under the bed like DCL?and since we are going on a 9 night cruise, do they have laundry facilities? I will need an iron...also do you know how many formal nights?

Hi,

The staterooms are all of comparable sizes throughout the ship--unless you have a Suite. You should be able to store suitcases under the bed just fine. :-)

Laundry services are available. You will find a bag in your stateroom closet where you can place your clothing to be cleaned.

There are no irons in staterooms, as they are fire hazards. You can, however, send your clothes for dry cleaning on-board.

There are 2 or 3 formal nights. Matt?

Cheers

Yes, you can absolutely store your luggage under your bed. I do it all the time.

There is dry cleaning on the ship, but no self-service laundry.  Here's a tip, there's usually a "fill this bag with laundry for $25" deal 3 or 4 nights into the cruise. Take advantage of that deal (ask stateroom attendant if you do not see it)

If by iron you mean an iron for clothes, I believe that is prohibited (my wife brings a straightening iron for her hair, but that's obviously different).

2 formal nights.  First formal night should be the 2nd night.

And you're not bothering anyone, we are happy to help! :)

Thanks guys... I guess we probably need to iron the shirts my husband and kids will bring for formal night.

One more question (as of now) can we bring bottle water on the ship with us? And what drinks are available or included. We do not drink soda here so not interested on the "soda package" but curious to know what do they offer through the day ...

Thanks guys... I guess we probably need to iron the shirts my husband and kids will bring for formal night.

One more question (as of now) can we bring bottle water on the ship with us? And what drinks are available or included. We do not drink soda here so not interested on the "soda package" but curious to know what do they offer through the day ...

Sandya,

What advice could you give a couple in their early 30's without kids who are thinking about taking their first DCL cruise? We love Walt Disney World and think we'd also like a Disney cruise. We've sailed Royal Caribbean several times and will always call Royal our brand, but would like to experience the magic of Disney on the high seas.  :P

You can have shirts pressed, which is a lot cheaper than having them dry cleaned.

Water, milk, iced tea, lemonade are offered complimentary.  Juices are available complimentary during breakfast too and there's usually some other flavored waters available in the Windjammer. 

Sandya,

What advice could you give a couple in their early 30's without kids who are thinking about taking their first DCL cruise? We love Walt Disney World and think we'd also like a Disney cruise. We've sailed Royal Caribbean several times and will always call Royal our brand, but would like to experience the magic of Disney on the high seas.  :P

DCL, have tons of things to do even with out kids. We have 2 boys but on our last cruise they kept themselves very busy with the Club, so we were able to enjoy more of the adult things that they have available..... Like just sitting by the Adult pool with a nice drink from "Currents" the bar on deck 13 I believed. There is also a Cove Cafe where you can get your internet while you enjoy some wonderful snacks and can watch TV (many of the performers spend their days in there)... The Night Clubs are a lot of fun "La Piazza" or Skyline for fun games, oh and don't forget "The Tube" I actually got lost in there!!

Take a mixology class, cheap way to get tons of drink and a lot of fun!!

I was surprise that the adul area pool was on the same deck as the kids pool, but once you go trough the glass dividers you do not hear the kids, music or the movie that is usually playin.... It is nice and peaceful.

Disney make everything so magical, but we are going to try RCC this July and see what do they have to offer.... My boys are 12-14 and they really loved DCL!

I enjoyed cruising with DCL but I found the Royal Caribbean product to not be all that different from what DCL offers, albeit at much less of a price.  

Frankly, I couldn't justify the price DCL charged for their cruise because I didn't think it was that much better than Royal Caribbean.  In fact, I think Royal Caribbean does some things better than DCL (food, itineraries, ship activities to name a few).

As a lifelong WDW fan, I get the whole "magic" thing but I assure you Royal Caribbean is just as fun and does things quite well too :)

I have to say that the prices after paying for some extra with RCC is almost the same!! I was very surprise that what I booked with RCC is almost the same and supposedly the kids sail free AND and not even getting a balcony so .... $5400 with Disney (4ppl paying)with Balcony, $4700 no balcony and kids sail free?? Free? Don't thinks so.. The only difference for me is that I don't need to pay for air fair and that is what sold me "this time" but I really don't think Is cheaper. Both cruises to the Caribbean different ports.

I have to say that the prices after paying for some extra with RCC is almost the same!! I was very surprise that what I booked with RCC is almost the same and supposedly the kids sail free AND and not even getting a balcony so .... $5400 with Disney (4ppl paying)with Balcony, $4700 no balcony and kids sail free?? Free? Don't thinks so.. The only difference for me is that I don't need to pay for air fair and that is what sold me "this time" but I really don't think Is cheaper. Both cruises to the Caribbean different ports.

Which itineraries exactly? 

Both Cruise have 3 stops

Disney : St. Thomas, Puerto Rico & Castaway

RCC: Bermuda, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, Labadee.

Yes, I know we have 1 more stop but I really don't think I have a GREAT price, I was hoping to save more or even the same AND get a balcony (they are sold out) I would have paid more for a balcony, not sure that I like the little window.

I am looking forward to the cruise, don't get me wrong, after reading so much about on this blog and the DISboards, I am feeling that I made the right choice for this time. I think we are going to have a great time no matter what. And again there are a few things that are throwing me a bit off, but I guess when you get spoiled with Disney you like the same with other places and it is not the case.

Both Cruise have 3 stops

Disney : St. Thomas, Puerto Rico & Castaway

RCC: Bermuda, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, Labadee.

Yes, I know we have 1 more stop but I really don't think I have a GREAT price, I was hoping to save more or even the same AND get a balcony (they are sold out) I would have paid more for a balcony, not sure that I like the little window.

I am looking forward to the cruise, don't get me wrong, after reading so much about on this blog and the DISboards, I am feeling that I made the right choice for this time. I think we are going to have a great time no matter what. And again there are a few things that are throwing me a bit off, but I guess when you get spoiled with Disney you like the same with other places and it is not the case.

The other thing to consider is the Royal Caribbean cruise goes out of New Jersey whereas DCL is sailing out of Florida, right?  

If so, you're saving all that money on flights, baggage costs, rental car, hotel, etc by going with Royal Caribbean.  

And I'll say it now: I like Labadee much more than Castaway!  :o

The other thing to consider is the Royal Caribbean cruise goes out of New Jersey whereas DCL is sailing out of Florida, right?  

If so, you're saving all that money on flights, baggage costs, rental car, hotel, etc by going with Royal Caribbean.  

And I'll say it now: I like Labadee much more than Castaway!  :o

Oh yes, absolutely ...this is why we are going RCC. I just wish I had save more on the actual price.

So tell me about Labadee!!! B/c I think Castawat is paradise... So I want to know what makes it better!!! So excited to go there!!

So tell me about Labadee!!! B/c I think Castawat is paradise... So I want to know what makes it better!!! So excited to go there!!

Labadee is beautiful.  I love the mountains that surround it and of course the water is divine.

If you're into activities, the zipline and roller coaster are pretty darn cool.  For the kids, the water park is great because you can sit on shore and watch them play.

Try a labadoozie (or three)!

Remember the money you saved on your flights? Invest in a cabana.  Up to six people and I believe the cost was $150-200 (I always confuse prices here with CocoCay).  

I did a podcast episode all about Labadee.

The Nellie's Beach cabanas, at least the over-the-water ones, are $250.

It's still worth it, in my opinion, especially if you've got at least 4 people in the cabana so the per-person cost isn't that bad.

Thanks for the price clarification.  I agree for the whole day, it's a good value for what you get.  Considering you could drop that amount on a one hour specialty massage, this is a great per-person, per hour price. And wow is it comfy!

Sound like we should get a cabana and since we are going with an other family, we could share one...I think the kids (mostly teenagers) will spend the day in the water.... And it will be hot in July!!!

I cannot wait for this trip as the weather here in NH is sooooo coooooldddd!!!

If you want a cabana, you should book it (under shore excursions under Labadee, Haiti) as soon as possible. They tend to get booked up quickly.

All the cabanas are already reserved (the ones that were available online, anyway) for our upcoming Allure cruise in October.

Oh boy you are correct, they are all gone. Is there any chance to get one at the ship? Does anyone know?

It would be nice to have some shade....is there an area more shaded ?

I do realize those Cabanas are gone really fast on all ships.....

You can put your name on the waitlist at the shore excursions desk when you get onboard the ship. I'd do that immediately.  People cancel all the time.  Also, stop by on the day of and see if there was a no-show.  Can't hurt.

The good thing about Labadee otherwise is there is a lot of shade available. I usually grab a spot under the trees on Adrenaline beach

Can anyone tell me their experience boarding the ship on NJ? I heard that it can take hours ...also that you need to be called to board a "bus".... How is this compare with the terminals at Port Canaveral?

I sailed on Explorer of the Seas years ago and don't recall that being a problem.  My recommendation is arrive early to beat the rush.

I sailed on Explorer of the Seas years ago and don't recall that being a problem.  My recommendation is arrive early to beat the rush.

Port Canveral is easiest port in my opinion, thus NJ & any other place we have sailed from is slightly more difficult. I was going to suggest opposite of Matt, show up too early & you may have to wait for boarding to commence? Too early combined with some unforeseen clearance for boarding is the only way I can see it taking "hours" to board--only happened once in my experience -- Charleston; travel companions wanted too early, poor parking, & ship cleaning for noro -- maybe waited 1 hr? Sailed NJ 2 yr ago, don't recall it being any more difficult or time consuming than other ports. Relax and go with the flow, you're on vacation!

Thanks guys... We will be driving from Boston early in the morning to NJ so I just wanted to be aware of anything that could happen at the port and basically and idea on how it work in NJ. Since we sailed from Port Canaveral a few times I do think that the early the better...

We have done a couple of Disney cruises (3 night only due to cost) and close to ten on RCI.

On balance we believe the experience on Disney to be slightly better, although clearly we don't have a problem with the RCI experience at all.

However, on balance the value for the money favors RCI dramatically.

As we usually describe it "On Disney everything is perfect, on Royal its all good to great but you can afford a longer vacation".

We have done a couple of Disney cruises (3 night only due to cost) and close to ten on RCI.

On balance we believe the experience on Disney to be slightly better, although clearly we don't have a problem with the RCI experience at all.

However, on balance the value for the money favors RCI dramatically.

As we usually describe it "On Disney everything is perfect, on Royal its all good to great but you can afford a longer vacation".

I found Royal Caribbean to beat Disney in a few categories: food, price/value, adult entertainment (not that kind!), itinerary variety, shipboard activities.

Disney's shows, especially compared to RC ships without Broadway shows, is better. Free soda, disembarkation, TV programming and toddler activities are all areas Disney also does well in.

I'm curious since you mention disembarkation as one of the things Disney does better.  I've only sailed DCL so far, so how does Royal Caribbean do it different? 

In Port Canaveral there is no "wait for your number" thing.  DCL has some special thing with the port where you can get off anytime.

Granted it's been some years since I've cruised with DCL but I remember being very impressed by that compared to RCL, which always seems to take a while.

Can anyone tell me their experience boarding the ship on NJ? I heard that it can take hours ...also that you need to be called to board a "bus".... How is this compare with the terminals at Port Canaveral?

I was at the Explorer on a tour and visited last year  ( before the floods in Dec 2012) and the port is easy to get in and out of and if I were you I would park at the PIER and not use an off site parking lot (albeit cheaper).  Others may post otherwise but when I was there, these lots filled up so fast and the buses were having issues getting the people to the port on time!!  I actually picked up and drove some people myself to get them there.  So I suggest getting to the Pier earlier and parking right there.   Labadee is one of my favorites, with lots to do and very relaxing, cabanas are great.  Worth asking a few days before you go about upgrading to a balcony - there are people that cancel last minute and sometimes cabins do open up - so I would try and call and check on that as you get closer

I'm curious since you mention disembarkation as one of the things Disney does better.  I've only sailed DCL so far, so how does Royal Caribbean do it different? 

Disney just has the system down and the customs people there just clear Port Canaveral in general pretty well.  I have not found issues though on other ships myself - I have cleared very easily in the past year in NYC and FLL with being pretty much allowed to walk off the ship at a designated time - I do often take my own luggage though and walk off too, cause of early flights.

I have Disembarked with Disney at Port Canaveral a few times, and it is very easy.... Your luggage have tags with a different characters that Disney provide before AND after the cruise (not like RCI, where you print your own) once you are at the terminal you find your character and your luggage will be there. The whole thing takes about half hour.. Very easy.

I do notice Disney have little details that make thing easier but since I have not sail with RCI yet I cannot compare, I am talking about things I know so far.

I just want to be very inform on what to do and not take things for granted.... We will be parking at the port and leaving Boston very early to get there on time.

Sandya, I'm like you and have only sailed DCL in recent years. I'm going on the Disney Fantasy at the end of this month, but am going on Allure at the end of August 2014. I'm so excited for both, but I'll be interested to see what you think of RCCL after DCL :) I already know what Matt think! ;)

We sailed with the Fantasy a year ago and we looooved it! It was also the last week in April. We stopped at Puerto Rico and since it was Earth Week the entrance to the Forts were free!!

I cannot wait for RCI, but I am feeling a bit un easy on a few things, maybe is the ship we picked????........, I feel that it may not measure against a Disney Ship, so not sure what to expect.

But at the end it would be a nice vacation after the winter we just had!!!