Non-refundable fare Q

Ashleyb

If you cancel before final payment, you will lose $100pp and the remainder of your deposit should come back as an FCC. So for example, if you have a deposit for 4 people at $250pp; you will get an FCC for each person for $150. 

Unless something has changed that I am not aware of....

56 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

If you cancel before final payment, you will lose $100pp and the remainder of your deposit should come back as an FCC. So for example, if you have a deposit for 4 people at $250pp; you will get an FCC for each person for $150. 

Unless something has changed that I am not aware of....

Got it, maybe that’s where the 100 I have been seeing is coming from. I haven’t paid final payment yet so this would apply to me if it hasn’t changed. Thanks!

It depends on the country you are in. In Australia or New Zealand you lose the whole deposit which is either $200 or $400 depending on the length of the cruise.

When booking a non refundable cruise you will see the fine print by clicking on cancellation policy on the guest information screen of the booking screen.

D119BF1C-211C-4628-A412-F7D0CDF4A12B.jpeg

54 minutes ago, F1guynz said:

It depends on the country you are in. In Australia or New Zealand you lose the whole deposit which is either $200 or $400 depending on the length of the cruise.

When booking a non refundable cruise you will see the fine print by clicking on cancellation policy on the guest information screen of the booking screen.

D119BF1C-211C-4628-A412-F7D0CDF4A12B.jpeg

I am in U.S!

If you go through the motions of booking a cruise on the US website as soon as you get into a particular sailing you'll see the fine print at the bottom:

• *Price is per person, cruise only, applies to selected sailing, lowest available fare stateroom category, based on double-occupancy, reflects any promotional savings, and is subject to change and availability until booked. Non-refundable deposit: Non-refundable deposit booking (“NRDB”) cancelled prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a $100 per person service fee. FCC is non-transferable and expires after 12-months from issue date. 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee applies to changes to NRDB ship or sail date.

Short sailings have a $100 deposit so if you cancel a short sailing you will lose the entire $100 deposit.

Medium length cruise have a $250 deposit so if you cancel a medium length cruise you'll be faced with a $100 per person penalty and the rest, $150 will be issued as an FCC per person.

Long cruises have a $450 deposit so if you cancel a long cruise you'll be faced with a $100 per person penalty and the rest, $350 will be issued as an FCC per person.

FCC is per person in that person's name.  FCC can't normally be transferred or used by someone else.  

Related question - is there a general range of fare difference between refundable and non-refundable?  5%? 25%?  Assume week-long if it matters.

Similarly, anyone ever booked two refundable trips, same season/time frame, then later canceled one and just moved those funds over to the trip you settled on?  Odds that the nonrefundable fare at that time is less than the refundable fare you originally booked, perhaps a year earlier?  (For context, this is about uncertainly of school spring break in a few years, March vs. April.) 

32 minutes ago, Rfk said:

Related question - is there a general range of fare difference between refundable and non-refundable?  5%? 25%?  Assume week-long if it matters.

Similarly, anyone ever booked two refundable trips, same season/time frame, then later canceled one and just moved those funds over to the trip you settled on?  Odds that the nonrefundable fare at that time is less than the refundable fare you originally booked, perhaps a year earlier?  (For context, this is about uncertainly of school spring break in a few years, March vs. April.) 

There really isn't any "rule of thumb" regarding the price difference between refundable and non-refundable.  It really varies depending on the popularity of the cruise, time of year and many other factors.

Your question re: booking 2 refundable deposit cruises until you make up your mind is a very common scenario and very smart !  The longer it takes for you to cancel one and choose another the less likely it will be that you will save money by converting the refundable to NRD but you just never know how that's going to go.  I booked 2 refundable deposit cruises on OV (booked in July 2020) in March/April 22 (not to choose one over the other, but just in case I changed my mind about going all the way to Australia !!) and once I finally decided that I was going for sure, the refundable deposit was actually cheaper than the current pricing for NRD (as of last week) so I will just keep the refundable deposits.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Your question re: booking 2 refundable deposit cruises until you make up your mind is a very common scenario and very smart !  The longer it takes for you to cancel one and choose another the less likely it will be that you will save money by converting the refundable to NRD but you just never know how that's going to go.  I booked 2 refundable deposit cruises on OV (booked in July 2020) in March/April 22 (not to choose one over the other, but just in case I changed my mind about going all the way to Australia !!) and once I finally decided that I was going for sure, the refundable deposit was actually cheaper than the current pricing for NRD (as of last week) so I will just keep the refundable deposits.

That's a perfect narrative that hits what I was thinking about, thanks! 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've found it to be 100 - 300? difference more for refundable. Worth it everytime.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There really isn't any "rule of thumb" regarding the price difference between refundable and non-refundable.  It really varies depending on the popularity of the cruise, time of year and many other factors.

13 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I've seen the difference to be as little as $40 and as much as $900 (all week-long). Who knows what the determining factor is.

Thanks for comments - helpful context to keep in mind.

37 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

I did a mock booking once and refundable was an additional $2000. Suffice to say I’d rather lose the $100pp

I don't understand why, if the cost increase is more than $100pp for refundable, it is considered worthwhile. What am I missing? If I spend $200 to possibly save $100, how is that worthwhile?

53 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

I don't understand why, if the cost increase is more than $100pp for refundable, it is considered worthwhile. What am I missing? If I spend $200 to possibly save $100, how is that worthwhile?

I guess that’s where the situation dictates which one I would book. I know people who would only book refundable, but sometimes that just doesn’t make sense. 

Scenario (on the same sailing for 4 people in stateroom)

Booking 1: $2000 (NRD), Booking 2: $2500 (refundable)

If I definitely go on the cruise on NRD, I save $500. If I cancel, I get back $1600, meaning I lose $400 for essentially nothing. 

However, if I’m booked on refundable, I spend an extra $500 if I do sail and lose nothing if I don’t. 

I guess it makes it a little easier to take if I’m spending $500 on something tangible, like the cruise itself, rather than just straight losing $400. So I would say it really depends on the situation. 

13 hours ago, LogicallyLazy said:

I know people who would only book refundable, but sometimes that just doesn’t make sense. 

Excluding some crazy $1k difference, the number one complaint I see these days is someone who booked non-refundable and is irate they cant get a 100% refund.

They are well before final payment date, but write these rants calling out RC for not allowing (full) refunds.

Obviously not everyone, but it seems as things change, preferences do too among some cruisers.

Just some food for thought.

To me its a good thing.

It gives people options.

My wonderful TA, Kelley, got me a refundable deposit for our May 2022 Alaska cruise cheaper than what I could do online with a NRD.

I did not even know refundable deposits existed until I did research on this website! Thank you!

Everyone has a preference on their comfort level and how much they can/will spend on a vacation.

Kinda like an interior vs a suite.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Excluding some crazy $1k difference, the number one complaint I see these days is someone who booked non-refundable and is irate they cant get a 100% refund.

They are well before final payment date, but write these rants calling out RC for not allowing (full) refunds.

Those people baffle me. I mean, you did agree to a non refundable fare. ?‍♂️