How to reply to a specific person's comment?

CruisingOz

28 minutes ago, CruisingOz said:

Hello Matt,

Silly question, but I can't seem to work out how to reply to a specific persons' comment? I can reply to the topic but would like to reply on a specific comment / person within the post; if that makes sense? 

I'm not Matt, but hopefully I can help you.

If you want to reply to a specific posting within a topic, you use the "quote" function.

Using your post above as an example,

image.png.29c0150afb425fd3f3feb671a7009e12.png

If you click on "quote", you will be responding only/specifically to that post.  If you just enter a reply in the "Reply to Topic" you will just get a generic reply at the bottom of all of the other posts.  It sounds like you are trying to do a "quote" and reply to a specific posting.  Eventually you will learn that you can quote multiple different postings within 1 reply; you can also edit the part of the post that you are quoting so that, if it is a long post and you are only interested in highlighting a part of the post, you can delete everything that is not applicable to your response.

Not a silly question at all.  It took me a long time to figure out how to quote !  Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm not Matt, but hopefully I can help you.

If you want to reply to a specific posting within a topic, you use the "quote" function.

Using your post above as an example,

image.png.29c0150afb425fd3f3feb671a7009e12.png

If you click on "quote", you will be responding only/specifically to that post.  If you just enter a reply in the "Reply to Topic" you will just get a generic reply at the bottom of all of the other posts.  It sounds like you are trying to do a "quote" and reply to a specific posting.  Eventually you will learn that you can quote multiple different postings within 1 reply; you can also edit the part of the post that you are quoting so that, if it is a long post and you are only interested in highlighting a part of the post, you can delete everything that is not applicable to your response.

Not a silly question at all.  It took me a long time to figure out how to quote !  Hope this helps.

Thank you very much. I have learned something new today, so my day is complete. Take care

Just to expand a bit on the feedback from @WAAAYTOOO, there are a couple extra ways to do this:

1. If you don’t want to quote the whole post, just click and drag your mouse over the part you want to quote, then click the “quote selection” button that appears
  2. if you want to quote multiple posts in a single reply, click the “+” button on each post to do a multi-quote, then click the button for Multi-Quote to start your reply.
  3. If you just want to mention someone without fully quoting them, you can type the “@“ character followed by their screen name. Click on the name that comes up in a pop up to finish the “mention”, then type your reply like normal.

@sammy79, you can definitely edit posts you’ve submitted. On the mobile site, tap the “...” icon in the top right of your post and you’ll see an option to Edit. I’m not near my computer to see how the desktop site works, but it’s either the same on there or there is a text link at the bottom left of the post. The latter might be my memory of the old site design.