Masks during the whole cruise? Vaccines Required? Limited Ports/Excursions? What would be too much?

markinct

New CDC ruling makes wearing a mask during the entire cruise mandatory....  Even if you're on deck with no one near you, it would appear.

At what point do the restrictions and limitations outweigh the fun and relaxation of cruising? 

I'm starting to think that even if the major lines get cruises going in July, the cruises will probably be fairly dystopian. Maybe short runs to Coco Key or Labadee? 

What do you think? How drastic do the limitations have to be for you to decide to wait 6 - 12 more months?

I for one see no fun in being on a cruise and having to wear a mask ?...even if it were for just 50% of the time!!  So my answer to your question is no cruising for me until masks are no longer necessary accessories.  For right now...limitations and restrictions would absolutely kill the fun of a leisurely cruise and I will refuse to take part!  Perhaps my April 2022 cruise will turn into yet another "No Go" ?!   Only time will tell...

20 minutes ago, teddy said:

I have to wear a mask walking across a large, deserted parking lot when going to work at 3 am and when alone in a cooler breaking down pallets of 75+ lb boxes. 

Wearing one on vacation won’t bother me in the least. 

Been wearing one 10 hrs a day at work for almost a year now, don't even notice it anymore. I've literally forked food into during lunch because I forgot it was on.

If you are use to wearing a mask everywhere it probably won't be a problem, for others who only wear a mask when it is necessary they may be uncomfortable. It is just another thing to think about if you are planning on cruising later on in 2021.  I have 2 cruises planned this year one in October another in November, if masking is still required, and social distancing still required even after getting vaccinated I may move those cruises once again to October and November of 2022 because one is a 7 day the other a 9 day.  However, I won't make that decision until July or August of this year.  If cruising hasn't resumed from US ports by August at the latest then I'm done, I'll just move everything to 2022.  If the US hasn't figured this mess out by 2022 I don't know what I'm going to do, both my husband and I love cruising but we can't do this forever I guess we will have to shift back to land vacations.

I don't mind wearing a mask, both my husband and I wear masks everywhere except in our home, I just don't know if I want to be bother with masking up on a cruise ship. Get the vaccines up and running, fix the distribution so anyone who wants a shot can get a shot so we can get this virus under control.

On the fence, part of me says i dont care as long as i am on a cruise, another part says its not going to be worth it.

I adapted to wearing a mask at Disney/Busch Gardens, etc. Still enjoy it but its not the same experience .... 

I would probably try it on a short cruise but i suspect it will get old really fast.

If that's what it takes initially to cruise safely, then I'll take it.  Better than no cruise.

I'm one who hopes they do mandate vaccines as that's the main thing that will make me feel safe (even though that will delay us personally as one of our kids is under 16).

We don't mind taking ship excursions (price is the most negative) so not a big deal for us....plus if the cruise includes CoCo Cay or Labadee, then no excursion required.

For us, the cruise is about the ship over the ports, so we would be ok if it was a cruise to no where or we missed a port (our last Navigator cruise was an example where we didn't get off the entire cruise due to us skipping Nassau and the ship skipping CoCo Cay).

The biggest pain would be having to wear masks everywhere but when eating....but unfortunately, I think this will be the way things are in life for awhile...not just on a ship.

Masks are too much.  Reserving pool time, no freedom in ports and the loss of everything that made cruising fun is too much. This would not be a vacation.  How would you meet people, make new friends and get to know the crew?  Deck parties?  Relaxing and doing whatever feels right at the moment whether it is lounging on the deck or jumping in the pool are all part of the fun of a cruise.  Aside from being at sea, what does the type of cruising they are talking about benefit the passenger?  We have future cruise credits and I hope the extend them until they can offer normal cruise experiences.  I would not go on one with endless restrictions. 

1 hour ago, loki007 said:

Cruising is expensive, I simply cannot justify the expense with any restrictions. We will not cruise again until there are no restrictions and that may be a long time if ever... as much as it pains me to say that. 

agreed, since we have to fly in and adding a hotel stay, its too impractical  for us for a short cruise. The airfare if higher than the cruise. The restrictions and reservations for pool time, etc. This isn't our cup of tea 

4 hours ago, monctonguy said:

We wont be cruising if that's required. It will be back to land vacations for us if that happens. I am sure for the first little while they may require masks but am hoping that it wont be a permanent requirement. 

Not my idea of a fun time.....ever.

Did I miss the memo where masks are going to be a permanent feature on cruises from this point forward, forever?

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Did I miss the memo where masks are going to be a permanent feature on cruises from this point forward, forever?

No...I was replying to the post...asking what would be too much...and one of the things asked was wearing a mask.

It states CDC requires wearing a mask for the  whole cruise it stated.

I was simply replying to the OP's question.

What  am I missing here???!?

20 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

No...I was replying to the post...asking what would be too much...and one of the things asked was wearing a mask.

It states CDC requires wearing a mask for the  whole cruise it stated.

I was simply replying to the OP's question.

What  am I missing here???!?

You said you'd do land vacations, even though they might also require masks in the beginning.  Cruises will require masks in the beginning.  I guess I don't see the difference.  But I've lost interest.

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Oh well yeah..we wont do land vacations if masks required or will find somewhere to vacation that doesn't require them.

You can always go on an Oasis class ship and you can book an Owner and Grand Panoramic Suite or an Royal Loft Suite which have whirlpools and you don't have to wear a mask since you are in your stateroom.

Our next cruise isn’t until Easter 2022 so I am really hoping we are through most of this stuff by then; not just cruise restrictions but the travel and quarantine related restrictions we current face in ?? as well as the uncertainty of our vaccine rollout schedule. Masks to a limited degree aren’t a red line for me, but depending on the cruise mask policy at the time, may be a deciding factor for us as hubby and son may not be as accommodating as me. LOL I am not too worried about limited spots for dining, entertainment and activities as I am hoping the star class benefits will be that much more valuable.  

17 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

You can always go on an Oasis class ship and you can book an Owner and Grand Panoramic Suite or an Royal Loft Suite which have whirlpools and you don't have to wear a mask since you are in your stateroom.

True, good point actually...but I need to win the lottery for that to happen....

not sure where I fall on the spectrum here.  months ago I was squarely in the "I won't wear the mask on my vacation" camp but now that it's part of the daily regimen, its not a deal breaker for me.

most likely I'll have to actually take a cruise in the beginning, restrictions and all, see how bad it sucks firsthand, and then decide if I want to make future bookings as long as XYZ restrictions are in place.  

(sidebar-  I dont actually know the answer to this, but does the CDC technically have jurisdiction on a foreign-flagged vessel once it is sailing in INTL waters?  I understand they may require testing / masks / distancing to board, but beyond that?  @Twangster?  lol)

There are several things that caught my attention in Carnival's announcement.  First was guest are allowed to submit a test taken up to 5 days prior to cruising. While that might seem like a great idea its concerning because that is a lot of time between the test and the cruise.  I think last year MSC required all guest over the age of 6 to present a negative test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.

The second thing that caught my eye was guest will be required to wear mask at all times outside their stateroom which is to be expected.  However the second bullet point under the exceptions stated eating and drinking seated at a table.  Does this mean the only way you can be serve or consume any type of food or drink outside of your stateroom is if you are seated at a table?   No more walking while enjoying a cocktail?  I'm just trying to see if interpreting the restrictions correctly.

11 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

The second thing that caught my eye was guest will be required to wear mask at all times outside their stateroom which is to be expected.  However the second bullet point under the exceptions stated eating and drinking seated at a table.  Does this mean the only way you can be serve or consume any type of food or drink outside of your stateroom is if you are seated at a table?   No more walking while enjoying a cocktail?  I'm just trying to see if interpreting the restrictions correctly.

This is what I'm wondering too.  It's so nice sitting by the pool or standing by the rail watching the wake....with a drink in hand.  Wonder if that'll be a thing of the past (for awhile)?

50 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

This is what I'm wondering too.  It's so nice sitting by the pool or standing by the rail watching the wake....with a drink in hand.  Wonder if that'll be a thing of the past (for awhile)?

Not the same thing at all I know but the Disney implementation is that you must step out of the "walkway" and then remain still while you eat/drink, remasking before you start walking again.

Food and Wine festival is very different when you have to pick up your stuff, walk to the nearest table/railing/dead spot and then stand and eat/drink.

I kept trying though and after about the 5th trip you get used to it and its actually kind of fun to stand and people watch while you drink your cocktail ?

Having just spent a week in Aruba I am torn as to whether I would accept a mandatory mask situation on a cruise.  It would probably have to be a very discounted price for me to take a cruise with a mask requirement.  Aruba requires masks everywhere public but we rented an Airbnb with a private pool so we got to relax and really enjoy.  I am not sure cruising would feel as "free" yet.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, markinct said:

New CDC ruling makes wearing a mask during the entire cruise mandatory....  Even if you're on deck with no one near you, it would appear.

At what point do the restrictions and limitations outweigh the fun and relaxation of cruising? 

I'm starting to think that even if the major lines get cruises going in July, the cruises will probably be fairly dystopian. Maybe short runs to Coco Key or Labadee? 

What do you think? How drastic do the limitations have to be for you to decide to wait 6 - 12 more months?

This is not a vacation.