Canada's Ban on Cruise Ships Extended to 2022

Gears

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Sadly true.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/02/04/canada-bans-cruise-ships-one-year

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice? ?‍♂️

Many of us take no responsibility for many of the head scratching decisions being made. Banning cruise ships essentially 13 months out...well, I would like to understand the rationale for that. An extension now...for six months I could understand based on available data.

40 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If Royal has any integrity at all, they will cancel the entire Alaska season immediately.  As for L&S, I would think that they would allow it since they allowed it for the Quantum cancellations.

I agree. Not drag it out till after final payment. Same for the Canada/NE sailings.

6 hours ago, cookie10* said:

Ok so what's the best guess when RC will start to cancel the Alaska cruises for 2021? And do you believe they will offer the L&S for those cancellations? 

RC should immediately cancel the entire 2021 Alaska Cruise season.  The Jones Act is not going away or being temporarily suspended simply because of the pandemic.  Royal should at once reinstate the Lift and Shift program and extend the program so that is covers all 2022 cruises.

I know in 2020 we were all hoping this would all be behind us in 2021, RC needs to acknowledge the pandemic isn't over, the virus is still not under control, the CDC is slow walking the requirements for a return to cruising, governments like the Cayman Island and now Canada have banned cruise ships until 2022. For these reasons and more they should reinstate the lift and shift for all of 2022.

8 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

RC should immediately cancel the entire 2021 Alaska Cruise season.  The Jones Act is not going away or being temporarily suspended simply because of the pandemic.  Royal should at once reinstate the Lift and Shift program and extend the program so that is covers all 2022 cruises.

I know in 2020 we were all hoping this would all be behind us in 2021, RC needs to acknowledge the pandemic isn't over, the virus is still not under control, the CDC is slow walking the requirements for a return to cruising, governments like the Cayman Island and now Canada have banned cruise ships until 2022. For these reasons and more they should reinstate the lift and shift for all of 2022.

First, RCG already pulled Alaska 2021 within 10 mins of Canada's annoucement. This point is moot.

Second, referring to the Jones Act is incorrect. It's not the Jones Act. It's the PSVA. Jones act is more for cargo ships. PSVA is for passenger Vessels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886.

Third see @Matt post: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/01/27/royal-caribbean-will-still-offer-lift-shift-if-there-are-more-cancelled-cruises. It explains everything re: L&S.

Finally, take a chill pill. RCG didnt create this Pandemic and it seems every short-coming stated RCG is to blame. We all are a lil'-bit frustrated but eventually we will look back and say to ourselves, "what was I thinking?  I sound like a maniac!" I've been in those shoes and most probably will walk in them again. But, I tell myself RCG isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I'll be here waiting when the time is right to sail again. As they say, "if you build it, they will come." Odyssey, we await your arrival!!  ?

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

First, RCG already pulled Alaska 2021 within 10 mins of Canada's annoucement. This point is moot.

Second, referring to the Jones Act is incorrect. It's not the Jones Act. It's the PSVA. Jones act is more for cargo ships. PSVA is for passenger Vessels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886.

Third see @Matt post: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/01/27/royal-caribbean-will-still-offer-lift-shift-if-there-are-more-cancelled-cruises. It explains everything re: L&S.

Finally, take a chill pill. RCG didnt create this Pandemic and it seems every short-coming stated RCG is to blame. We all are a lil'-bit frustrated but eventually we will look back and say to ourselves, "what was I thinking?  I sound like a maniac!" I've been in those shoes and most probably will walk in them again. But, I tell myself RCG isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I'll be here waiting when the time is right to sail again. As they say, "if you build it, they will come." Odyssey, we await your arrival!!  ?

Sorry for confusing the Jones act and the Passenger Service Vehicle Act. Also sorry that my comments were misconstrued I never blamed RC for the Pandemic all I stated is  RC needs to admit it isn't over.  Looking at recent extension of travel bans to the EU some have been extended until May, others have no expiration date, however all will have an impact Americans, any American with a European cruise booked between May and July should prepare themselves for a cancelation.  I work in the travel industry I get these alerts and travel ban updates all I was trying to say is RC should go back to the policies they had in place during the second half of last year by being proactive instead of reactive by reinstating the lift and shift an extend the cruise with confidence program to cover all 2022 cruises.  

If this is me sounding like a maniac I'm okay with it but I am truly sorry my comment came across as me blaming RC for COVID that was not my intent. 

22 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I agree. Not drag it out till after final payment. Same for the Canada/NE sailings.

I think I am going to get my money back when they cancel my Canada/NE cruise as I have already did the L&S from October 2020 to October 2021.  I just hope they don't drag the cancellation out.  I think we will just want until things start moving before we re-book.  My sad but I am ready to find another vacation to do this coming fall.

Since we already had June 2020 then August 2020 canceled and Jul 21 looks like it's gone too. I just wish they would yank the band aid and let me get set for 2022. Of course I have already purchased all my excursions and drink package and will have the fun of doing that again.

Cannot blame Canada for wanting to protect its population or borders.  Its the right of every sovereign nation to do that.   Alaskan legislators are raising objections, but its antiquated US law that's inhibiting the current Alaskan season to move forward.   Issue waivers or fix the law.  Just more political theater.

20 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Just more political theater.

That's what I see this as.  They are being inundated with contact from constituents demanding they do something so they proclaim how they are outraged.  "How dare they do that!"  just so that their constituents don't blame them for failing to act.  Probably cuts the number of phone calls in half.  

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's what I see this as.  They are being inundated with contact from constituents demanding they do something so they proclaim how they are outraged.  "How dare they do that!"  just so that their constituents don't blame them for failing to act.  Probably cuts the number of phone calls in half.  

Agreed. Political grandstanding always sits well with constituents.  So many bills get introduced just to make a scene and get news coverage, but never get discussed or even a vote.

HI All, Is the supposed announcement tomorrow by RC probably cancelled sailings to Canada?  I'm asking as I had B2B booked on Freedom, 5nt Bermuda May 13th (and we know that will also be cancelled as there's no way everything will be in place by then, and then 4 nt Halifax May 18th.  My final payment is tomorrow for the Bermuda segment and I am truly not prepared to pay it as i know Halifax will be cancelled.  Should I just wait till tomorrow before I start making calls.  Thank you!

On 2/8/2021 at 2:15 PM, Cub said:

Since we already had June 2020 then August 2020 canceled and Jul 21 looks like it's gone too. I just wish they would yank the band aid and let me get set for 2022. Of course I have already purchased all my excursions and drink package and will have the fun of doing that again.

We did the exact same thing, had June 2020 booked then August 2020 and finally August 2021. We figured we were safe with that date and booked airfare and excursions. ?