NOT A Good Sign People !!

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carnival-cruise-line-releases-additional-plans-on-fleet-deployment-301213624.html looks like it's mostly related to dry docks.

To be honest I'll be more optimistic when they start announcing things out far in advance, to me that means they're more confident in the situation and a timeline for restart.  

Agree with you in general though, doubt we see much happening in 2021 till fall.  Switched my December sailings over to the Grandeur, think it's got a better chance of going, but far from a guarantee.

Carnival Magic, Carnival Paradise and Carnival Valor, those ships return to operations will be delayed until November 2021 after their dry dock and will not sail in 2021 till Novembet 2021. Ask yourself, 10 months of dry dock and no sailing in 2021 till November?  Something smells funny in Denmark and it's not the cheese!!

Okay, so Magic was to dry dock in 2021 and has to since it's her 10 year ( I sailed Magic once). Paradise, being an older ship has to dry dock more frequently and is also due in 2021 (I sailed a sister ship).  Valor is due and must be done in 2021 because, well it's that time since her last dry dock was in 2016 (I've sailed Valor twice).

So here is the sugar coated version - these ships have to dry dock in 2021.  No choice, must be done or they won't have their certificates to sail.  Not a lot of sugar, just facts.

Here is the pandemic reality version - these ships must dry dock in 2021 so why put them into service (if that is even possible) only to yank them out of service to dry dock?  Wouldn't it be better to launch a restart with ships that don't need servicing in 2021?    

Carnival has more ships in the fleet so why not avoid restarting, as this elusive restart date moves again and again, with ships that must go to dry dock, when, ship yards are also impacted by the pandemic?  It's not like shipyards are doing business like they always have, they are most likely telling ship owners "we have no idea when we will return to normal" like so many businesses in these very strange times.

Sorry, I don't see a conspiracy here.  

@princevaliantus you're also missing the fact other ships in the fleet are not delayed until Q4 2021.

Very few, if anyone, ever thought the entire fleet of Royal Caribbean ships would be sailing by the end of this year.

The question isn't when will every ship be back in service, rather, which ships will return to service first.

38 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Of course it's not a good sign but you still have certain individuals <cough, cough, scroll up> who are still in denial. ?

Yes.   I want cruises to start but I do not expect much this year.  Turning out like last year at this point, and it is only January

16 hours ago, Matt said:

@princevaliantus you're also missing the fact other ships in the fleet are not delayed until Q4 2021.

Very few, if anyone, ever thought the entire fleet of Royal Caribbean ships would be sailing by the end of this year.

The question isn't when will every ship be back in service, rather, which ships will return to service first.

Absolutely.. Which ships?   would love to know.......

4 hours ago, Linda R said:

I just read that NCL is sending it's crew back home (thousands) and only keeping essential crew members.  On all ships.  Also not a good sign.

http://crew-center.com/all-ncl-non-essential-crew-be-repatriated-home-april-2021

If they're getting the crew home by April can't see them starting cruises for another 3 months after then, so late summer at best

30 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

If that doesn't make you think cruising isn't coming back any time soon this year, then nothing will.

The earliest I see it coming back would be 4th quarter in October sometime and that is being optimistic and given that test cruises and crew training have yet to start, no certificates has been granted from the CDC, etc. Stay tuned folks.

7 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

The earliest I see it coming back would be 4th quarter in October sometime and that is being optimistic and given that test cruises and crew training have yet to start, no certificates has been granted from the CDC, etc. Stay tuned folks.

Which contradicts your 1st post when you say 2021 is more like a bust!!!!

And you sayin Oct at the earliest which is actually earlier than the nov mentioned on the Carnival photo so you are in fact going against what cruiselines are predicting and like thd rest of us hoping for it sooner

13 minutes ago, Ray said:

Which contradicts your 1st post when you say 2021 is more like a bust!!!!

And you sayin Oct at the earliest which is actually earlier than the nov mentioned on the Carnival photo so you are in fact going against what cruiselines are predicting and like thd rest of us hoping for it sooner

I wish you would quote me verbatim (defined by my friend, Oxford, as in exactly the same words as were used originally) which you did not, which I stated "2021 starting to look more and more like a bust!!" You stated that I said, "2021 is more like a bust!!!!" Two total different statements.  I'm being optimistic for an October outlook. But on the other hand, 2021 can still be a bust, maybe not a total bust but if you don't get to cruise in 2021, will you consider it a bust if you, specifically, can't sail?? I would.

4 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

but if you don't get to cruise in 2021, will you consider it a bust if you, specifically, can't sail?? I would.

Nope because i havent booked for 2021!! Right now i cant even travel 20miles never mind 2000!! 

Now IF cruises start anytime in 2021 i will be straight onto websites looking for not the best deal but thd one that gives me the best chance of actually getting there with minimum hassle.

With regards how i quote you! MAYBE just maybe if you didnt write as if your word was god and everyone should listen to you and you alone you may find people dont question you so much 

16 minutes ago, Ray said:

Nope because i havent booked for 2021!! Right now i cant even travel 20miles never mind 2000!! 

Now IF cruises start anytime in 2021 i will be straight onto websites looking for not the best deal but thd one that gives me the best chance of actually getting there with minimum hassle.

With regards how i quote you! MAYBE just maybe if you didnt write as if your word was god and everyone should listen to you and you alone you may find people dont question you so much 

Well, I don't think my "word is God" and I never said everyone should listen to me. I just expressed an opinion like many do on here and whether you choose to follow it, that will be up to you. But, if I would question anyone, I would make sure to quote them accurately and this way it would not fall back on misquoting and then trying to circumvent a corrected issue. At the end, no love lost. Enjoy your day! ?

What's the saying, it's always darkest before the dawn?

We've made some huge strides since last March.  We've got a better understanding of the virus, treatment protocols, mitigation practices, and multiple vaccines approved or in the process of being approved.  There have been missteps, mismanagement, blunders, whatever you want to call them along the way but Fauci and most others have been saying for months now that it was going to get worse this winter before it got better. 

Vaccines are being administered, more are being procured, they're looking at ways to increase production, additional vaccines are in the approval process.  @JeffB has made some fantastic posts on the science behind it that I can't compete with, but there's hope on the horizon.  

Will cruising from the US  happen this year? No one knows for sure, everything is still changing too fast and there are too many unknowns, but that doesn't mean there's not hope on the horizon for it, at some point.

tl;dr, there's a middle ground between the boundless optimism of a quick start and eternal pessimism of the end of cruising, I think that's where most of us fall.

21 hours ago, Floski said:

I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread.

Y'all are killin' my gin buzz.

I think it would be prudent if I gave these message boards a break for a while.

Amen to That!!!  I just hope Royal figures out how to start cruises out of ports other than the US and Barbados!   

3 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I'm sure a few of you have seen this link.  There are a small number of ships sailing , others planning to start Feb '21.  MSC sailing one, and starting another from Italy.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24279-cruise-ships-back-in-service-february-2021-update.html

Only issue is none of them are sailing under CDC approval ... Europe sailing started back up back at the end of the summer IIRC ... no sign of CDC having a plan still here though.

CDC based on the past 12 mths, isn't going to approve cruising anytime soon in the US..and when it does, it will be so limited and restrictive that it wont be enjoyable for the average person....

2022 is now my prediction before cruising will sembalnce some kind of normalcy ....and that is just being one month into 2021...alot more could happen to delay it even further..

Saw an interesting article this morning that the Biden executive order requiring facemasks on all public transport is being applied by the CDC to cruise ships ... so face masks could be expected to be mandatory except when actively eating or drinking. Of course the CDC would have to allow a cruise ship to sail before that would become relevant.

41 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Saw an interesting article this morning that the Biden executive order requiring facemasks on all public transport is being applied by the CDC to cruise ships ... so face masks could be expected to be mandatory except when actively eating or drinking. Of course the CDC would have to allow a cruise ship to sail before that would become relevant.

Guess we'll have to do more active drinking going forward?

6 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I enjoy active drinking much more than passive drinking anyway ... honestly i think the corona in my hand is pretty much a cruise staple ?

The time for beer hats has finally arrived! Easy drinking without mask removal, as long as they come out with a cocktail version for me we're all set.

On 2/1/2021 at 8:18 AM, jticarruthers said:

So as the cruise ships arrive/leave a US port, I get wearing the mask. ? (of course) 

Once you're in international waters, in a different country, aboard a ship not registered in America,  how's the Biden mask mandate going to apply and/or be enforced. ?

9 minutes ago, DD474 said:

So as the cruise ships arrive/leave a US port, I get wearing the mask. ? (of course) 

Once you're in international waters, in a different country, aboard a ship not registered in America,  how's the Biden mask mandate going to apply and/or be enforced. ?

Passenger vigilantism. No mask, you're going for a swim

1 hour ago, DD474 said:

By Royal dropping you off at the next port and saying "No refund, getting home is your problem now."

1 hour ago, DD474 said:

By the CDC saying, we saw a picture of a person on your ship without a mask ... fleet grounded again.