Snorkel mask for those with spectacles

Andy & Sheryl Unwin

So, a question for those dive experets out there. Both Sheryl and I wear glasses, me for long distance, Sheryl for close up and distance.

Obviously, unless we do something like helmet diving, we cant wear our specs under a mask.  But there has to be a way either by a custom mask, or applied lenses to the inside.  Are there any thoughts on which is best and why.

What I've seen (a long time ago) is custom masks that integrate a set of eyeglass lenses behind the main mask glass. No idea what they cost; I don't go snorkeling anywhere near often enough to justify buying a set of those. If I had to guess, those masks simply come with a set of lens frames at a fixed size and fixed distance between each other. Then you would take them to your optician, where they can take the right measurements to grind a set of lenses to mount into those frames.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

What I've seen (a long time ago) is custom masks that integrate a set of eyeglass lenses behind the main mask glass. No idea what they cost; I don't go snorkeling anywhere near often enough to justify buying a set of those. If I had to guess, those masks simply come with a set of lens frames at a fixed size and fixed distance between each other. Then you would take them to your optician, where they can take the right measurements to grind a set of lenses to mount into those frames.

Thanks Joe appreciated

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

$$$$$

I need my glasses for distance, but my Rx is slight enough (about 1.25) that I don't even bother. There is a small magnification underwater anyway. DH on the other hand has terrible vision with an astigmatism (4.5 in one eye and 3.0 in the other). He uses a prescription mask for the magnification, but skips the astigmatism bit for the mask. I remember when we bought my gear when I was first getting scuba certified that they had Rx masks for sale in the dive shop (on land, not on a ship). However, he bought his last mask online at Divers Direct. This is the one he got, and you can can select a different Rx for each eye. $110. 

https://www.diversdirect.com/p/tusa-liberator-prescription-mask

8 hours ago, melmar02 said:

I need my glasses for distance, but my Rx is slight enough (about 1.25) that I don't even bother. There is a small magnification underwater anyway. DH on the other hand has terrible vision with an astigmatism (4.5 in one eye and 3.0 in the other). He uses a prescription mask for the magnification, but skips the astigmatism bit for the mask. I remember when we bought my gear when I was first getting scuba certified that they had Rx masks for sale in the dive shop (on land, not on a ship). However, he bought his last mask online at Divers Direct. This is the one he got, and you can can select a different Rx for each eye. $110. 

https://www.diversdirect.com/p/tusa-liberator-prescription-mask

Awesome, I knew the vast base of knowledge here would yield a great result.  Thank you sooo much

I used to dive with inserts in my mask -- until -- I discovered contact lenses!  If there's any way you can get them prescribed and wear them while snorkeling or scuba-ing, do try it!  The salt water was much more comfortable if I got water in my mask, and I had no problem keeping them in my eyes (well, until I decided to dive in the water without my mask, and one washed out of my eye ?   ) 

I agree with @IRMO12HD; if you wear contacts, they are a great option too. Then you don't have to worry about a new mask if your Rx changes (or leaving your mask at home or on the ship). Unfortunately, I can only do contacts if the excursion is early in the cruise. I think the increased salt throughout the week does something to the shape my eyes. I just can't get them in comfortably after day 4, but when I get home it's back to normal after a few days.

I believe Cressi sells a mask that has replaceable lenses for people with a need for prescription lenses. I am ok to drive with correction but usually just wear contacts when I dive. I just make sure that I take along extra rewetting drops and flush my eyes well after each dive. 

I got some inserts called "Trident Dive Optx Scuba Mask Magnification Lenses" from Amazon for $25.  I had issues because I did not get them placed correctly in my mask.  Due to this things were blurry.

Then on my second dive one of them washed out and is gone.  I will probably keep the one in my mask so I can read my computer with one eye.  This could be due to me installing the night before the dive.  

I like the concept since I can keep the mask I like and the low cost.  A better way to install would be good.  Some reviews use a touch of glue.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:47 AM, Andy & Sheryl Unwin said:

So, a question for those dive experets out there. Both Sheryl and I wear glasses, me for long distance, Sheryl for close up and distance.

Obviously, unless we do something like helmet diving, we cant wear our specs under a mask.  But there has to be a way either by a custom mask, or applied lenses to the inside.  Are there any thoughts on which is best and why.

Hello Guys, 

I wear glasses, and I have found the cheapest option was to visit a local dive shop who sell masks which are made to be able to click on lenses onto the from of the mask lens. The beauty of these is that if your prescription changes you can simply clip on a new lens. My right eye is different to my left and so able to mix and match lens. They generally come in 0.5 increments. They are quite durable, I use them for diving and snorkelling, and mine are about three years old.

There was an option where I could have glass lens ground and fitted into the mask, but they were very expensive and as a seasonal user, the clip on lens are great, highly recommend them. 

On 2/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, CruisingOz said:

Hello Guys, 

I wear glasses, and I have found the cheapest option was to visit a local dive shop who sell masks which are made to be able to click on lenses onto the from of the mask lens. The beauty of these is that if your prescription changes you can simply clip on a new lens. My right eye is different to my left and so able to mix and match lens. They generally come in 0.5 increments. They are quite durable, I use them for diving and snorkelling, and mine are about three years old.

There was an option where I could have glass lens ground and fitted into the mask, but they were very expensive and as a seasonal user, the clip on lens are great, highly recommend them. 

Thank you kindly Oz...  We have looked at a variety of options now, and have discovered none of them will actually go to a strength Sheryl would need. Sooo, we are investigating prescription masks, or in one case, adhesive (removable) lenses.  When we make a decision on how to proceed, or if we decide to save the cost, will let  you know.

A

I have prescription goggles that are pretty old but they work well enough for snorkeling.  I bring my own snorkel usually as it's already not connected to a mask and just use the flippers & vest from the excursion.  I don't have a problem with the snorkel not being attached as it stays in my mouth fine underwater.  Only difference is that it doesn't hang on the side when I come out, I have to hold it or put it down. 

I found the goggles well worth the investment as we cruise so much.  Exact prescription doesn't matter underwater so they will always be fine.

On 2/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, CruisingOz said:

Hello Guys, 

Thanks Oz, much appreciated

2 hours ago, Ray said:

If your are able to wear contact lenses then this option 100% 

On vacation i wear them everyday, only issue i have is if i forget my reading glasses when i have contacts in, makes it impossible to read the cocktail list so i just start at the top and work my way down ?

Alas contact lenses arent an option in this case, but thank you for the advice, it is all appreciated

On 2/16/2021 at 8:52 PM, KathyC said:

I have prescription goggles that are pretty old but they work well enough for snorkeling.  I bring my own snorkel usually as it's already not connected to a mask and just use the flippers & vest from the excursion.  I don't have a problem with the snorkel not being attached as it stays in my mouth fine underwater.  Only difference is that it doesn't hang on the side when I come out, I have to hold it or put it down. 

I found the goggles well worth the investment as we cruise so much.  Exact prescription doesn't matter underwater so they will always be fine.

Thanks, will check into these

On 2/1/2021 at 8:56 PM, Mark06 said:

I got some inserts called "Trident Dive Optx Scuba Mask Magnification Lenses" from Amazon for $25.  I had issues because I did not get them placed correctly in my mask.  Due to this things were blurry.

Then on my second dive one of them washed out and is gone.  I will probably keep the one in my mask so I can read my computer with one eye.  This could be due to me installing the night before the dive.  

I like the concept since I can keep the mask I like and the low cost.  A better way to install would be good.  Some reviews use a touch of glue.

Thanks Mark, good advice

On 1/31/2021 at 4:37 PM, MuttMutt said:

I believe Cressi sells a mask that has replaceable lenses for people with a need for prescription lenses. I am ok to drive with correction but usually just wear contacts when I dive. I just make sure that I take along extra rewetting drops and flush my eyes well after each dive. 

Another one to check into, thanks for the heads up...

• 6 months later...