Will check in times matter?

I think they were already leaning that way before Covid, I am pretty sure that will be the process, as most cruisers know, from about 11 am til 12, the dock in crazy. I wonder what the process will be when giving out boarding times, will it be the earlier you book, will it be by your Royal status ( diamond,etc). We just had to rebook yet again, either way, I’m so ready to cruise.

11 hours ago, Dan Curtis said:

I think they were already leaning that way before Covid, I am pretty sure that will be the process, as most cruisers know, from about 11 am til 12, the dock in crazy. I wonder what the process will be when giving out boarding times, will it be the earlier you book, will it be by your Royal status ( diamond,etc). We just had to rebook yet again, either way, I’m so ready to cruise.

For my Singapore cruise, the timing depends on how early you check in. Once check in opens, the higher likelihood of getting an earlier boarding time. I checked the app every few hours when check in opened 90 days before the cruise

Also, one thing to note is that if you made any changes to your reservation, your check in time resets and needs to be selected again which is something I didn’t think was a good thing. So if this does gets implemented in other countries, just take note to always re select your check in time if you made any changes to your reservation (e.g. change room/upgrade)  

1 hour ago, LogicallyLazy said:

Also, one thing to note is that if you made any changes to your reservation, your check in time resets and needs to be selected again which is something I didn’t think was a good thing. So if this does gets implemented in other countries, just take note to always re select your check in time if you made any changes to your reservation (e.g. change room/upgrade)  

Great advice.  I've seen the changing "appointment time"  myself but in the past it didn't matter in the US so I just ignored it.  That was long before the pandemic.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Matt changed the title to Will check in times matter?
18 hours ago, GaryAA said:

I would imagine the suite guests might have earlier Checkin times. 

According to my genie, star class guest can head to the terminal at the earliest time slot of 2pm regardless of their check in time. Though this may be limited to star class or maybe sky. 

Everyone else would probably need to only head there at their designated time

50 minutes ago, LogicallyLazy said:

According to my genie, star class guest can head to the terminal at the earliest time slot of 2pm regardless of their check in time. Though this may be limited to star class or maybe sky. 

Everyone else would probably need to only head there at their designated time

Interesting.  Thanks for posting.

I suppose they need time to more thoroughly clean the ship between voyages compared to what we are used to in the past.  Makes sense and gives us a glimpse of what to expect going forward.

The first cruises of the restart will be interesting and different.  After a while everyone involved from cruisers to ship personnel to the terminal contractors that we encounter in most cruise terminals will settle into the new routine and it will become smoother but it won't be what we used to experience for some time yet to come. 

47 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I will lose half a day of cruising as a result of this and takes away from that first day excitement for sure.

"Half a day"? No. More like 2-3 hours. 

Earliest you would board pre-covid was 11am.  So moving back to 2pm is not a "half day" difference.

Since you're on this site, you know to check-in early and you'll get the first slot.

This is more an issue for the people that do online check-in at the last minute (if at all).

I thought that boarding would START at 2pm(i will never be star class or have a Genie) and assumed it would be staggered.....so everyone just gets on at 2pm now? That seems counter-productive for what they are aiming to do.

I was always on at 11am ...pretty sure there were times even when it started prior to that....I am sure that with Cvoid protocols between deep cleaning before turnaround and keeping everyone 6 feet apart in the terminal and while boarding(I cant imagine what a zoo it will be) that sail times will be delayed to allow for all of this.

I am guessing many will not board  till 5pm or later.....so in that case, half the first day is lost.

That will be the new norm with sailing ....I am pretty confident in this. Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I thought that boarding would START at 2pm and assumed it would be staggered.....so everyone just gets on at 2pm now? That seems counter-productive for what they are aiming to do.

Sorry for confusion, it would start at 2pm.  My point was someone like you knows to check-in early to get that 2pm slot.

7 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I am guessing many will not board  till 5pm or later.....so in that case, half the first day is lost.

That may be the case, but that's because they weren't smart enough to do some research in the cruise.

40 minutes ago, GaryAA said:

I'm more concerned about the protocol for getting off the ship in regards to booking flights. In the past I've done self-assist with the luggage and been to the airport fairly early.

That's a great point.  No one wants to hang around an airport for hours on end (been there) but right now it's the direction to lean towards.  Better safe than miss a flight.