Refund issue

Hey guys,, my son and his fiancé were to join us in September on Liberty, but unfortunately had to cancel AFTER having made final payment.  The cancelation/penalty policy was explained to us by our TA and I totally understood.  I was told I could expect X amount refunded to my Visa account within 3-5 business days.  That was in late June.  Thus far I've seen 2 small, random amounts in my account totaling less than half the quoted refund amount.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this after canceling ?  Do they always refund in dribs and drabs like this ?  It's frustrating because as cruisers, we all make our final payments in full, on time, and now that the shoe is on the other foot so to speak, I seem to be getting a song & dance.  My TA isn't much help (another reason I'll be using MEI Travel from now on).  Just curious if anyone has had similar experiences.  

Had to cancel one person before. Refund came as 3 separate credits to the card used: shorex, taxes and fees (port charges), and the amount of fare refundable at the time.

As I recall it was about 2 1/2 weeks before it was all returned.

Depending on when you booked your cruise, your penalty was one of the following:

I forget the date but it was quite recent that they moved final payment to the 90 day mark on all sailings rather than 90 days on just longer sailings.

74 to 57 Days Prior to Sailing Deposit Amount Per Guest
56 to 29 Days Prior to Sailing 50% of Total Price
28 to 15 Days Prior to Sailing 75% of Total Price
14 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing 100% of Total Price

89 to 57 Days Prior to Sailing Deposit Amount Per Guest
56 to 29 Days Prior to Sailing 50% of Total Price
28 to 15 Days Prior to Sailing 75% of Total Price
14 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing 100% of Total Price

You can figure your penalty out but keep in mind that your TA's commission is protected after the final payment date.  They do get the commission and unless they decide to give it back to you, it adds on to the penalty.

Now as far as half the quoted amount is concerned, perhaps RCCL credited all they were responsible for and the other half has to be rebated from the TA's commission?  Then you have to deal with the TA.

If they have not refunded the correct amount open a dispute with your credit card company. Why people let companies hold money due I will never understand. Open a dispute and your money will be returned  within a day or so. If more people filed disputes, Royal would refund faster, but since people just wait they seem to not care. I also like the fact that when I file a dispute the merchant is charged a added fee because of the dispute.

Sigh - while I love most all things RCCL I have been running into the same problem as of late

for one client-

I have called in for 6 weeks as his agent and was told 4 times it processed and was done

only to get a call back 2 days later saying they had not processed it.

the agent even read notes that the card was refunded - but no

And YES they always pay back in increments based on how you paid too, that is common

The rule of thumb is we usually see money returned within 7-10 days

This honestly has a lot to do with banks too and credit/debit cards

While it works most times, have your agent call at least weekly

With this above client - I had to be VERY persistent and work hard to get

correct answers - part of my job and actually I love to do this stuff, lol

Ok, here's the skinny. Issue resolved. Unbeknownst to all involved, Royal refunded the money in 4 different amounts, to 3 separate CC's. Rather than just send the money to the CC that made largest, final payment in a lump sum, they sent the appropriate percentage for each individual item. For example, they were entitled to X percent refund on air fare, so they sent that amount to the CC they used to pay for the flights. Deposit was paid to another card. Port fees came to another card, etc. Very confusing, but it's all good now.

Hi Michael,

Irving Texas here. RCCL hasn't refunded full price for a flight because they cancelled your cruise. They will refund up to $200 for cancellation, which is exactly what the cancellation fee is on American. I had a cruise cancelled, rebooked and cancelled again, and another cruise line did refund all of my flight expense since it was the second time.

Candie