New Covid-19 Cruise Ship Rules

CHRIS WONG

On 1/29/2021 at 7:02 AM, CrznTxn said:

These restrictions are like everything else in life. You have to stop at a red light, you might get lucky if you do not but eventually you will get tagged. Just because I have to obey traffic laws does not mean I refuse to drive my car because I do not like some of them. Will wearing a mask cause me to not enjoy the ocean breeze and sunshine, no. Will staying 6 feet away from a fellow passenger cause me to not enjoy the Dining hall, Windjammer, shows, getting a drink at the bar or simply walking the ship, no. And in the past I wish I was further than 6 feet from some of the fellow passengers. Will wearing a contact tracing bracelet cause me to not partake in a cruise, no. Just the chance that we can get out on the open deck and feel the sea breeze is more compelling than some minor, inconsequential items and restrictions that may be around for the next year. We are fortunate that where we are we are allowed to go out to eat, visit recreational areas and play sports (even for an old guy I still get out and play). There are restrictions like masks and distancing but it has not stopped us from continuing life. If requiring a vaccination (already done), wearing masks, taking tests (done several times) are a requirement to travel to a vacation especially a cruise so be it. Let the sailing begin and I for one will be one of the first in line.

I agree!

I'm truly torn..  On one hand I want to get back on a ship with my friends that I haven't seen since September of 2019..   Do I want to wear a mask at all times when I'm out of my stateroom..  Not really..   Will I? I just cant answer that right now... 

I have so many questions like having a cocktail do I take a drink and put my mask back up?  What if I'm smoking a cigarette and having a beer at the same time? (don't judge or say to quit.. I know)  Can I hug and shake hands with my friends onboard?   If I forget to put my mask back on for a minute will I be kicked off the ship at the next port? 

Some days I think yes.. Ill put up with the restrictions just to get back on a ship..  But I also think that it may be time to take all the money I've invested in our upcoming cruises and go do something else with the $8000.00 plus I've invested.. 

5 minutes ago, RickinSTL said:

If I forget to put my mask back on for a minute will I be kicked off the ship at the next port? 

Probably not. I think the forced disembarkation is for people that flat out refuse after being told repeatedly to put their mask (back) on.

I could be totally wrong.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Probably not. I think the forced disembarkation is for people that flat out refuse after being told repeatedly to put their mask (back) on.

I could be totally wrong.

Current protocol in retail settings (in my area) is to politely ask the person to put their mask on/pull it up/etc.  I rarely see someone without a mask being properly worn anymore.

The only people who refuse are those who are climbing on a soapbox, and they are not representative of the people I have been interacting with lately.

I would hope that there aren't a lot of people will pay for a cruise in order to make a final stand.  That being said, there are people out there who are instant jerks when alcohol is added.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:13 PM, Cile said:

I just got my first vaccine 3 days ago. I am ready to go > I am hoping my first cruise is July 11. I don't mind if it is any restriction . It is still much better then any other vacation. 

I got my first a week ago.  My wife's getting hers this Friday.   

So hopefully we'll be flying to Tampa the last week of April and the last week of May. ? 

We're booked on Allure this Dec 5th. (got a great price on a Jr. Suite).

So hopefully the norovirus and the Covid Virus are under control. 

On 1/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, CHRIS WONG said:

How do you feel about the new rules that have been displayed on Quantum?

• Tracelets
  • Limited time in the pools
  • Limited tables for dining
  • Temperature checks
  • Limited seating in the theatre
  • Muster 2.0
  • 1 metre social distancing

Too strict, or fair?

So hopefully the norovirus and the Covid Virus will be under control.

30 minutes ago, DD474 said:

So hopefully the norovirus and the Covid Virus will be under control.

Noro has long been "under control" on cruise ships.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen on ships, but relative to other places in the US it is very minor on ships.  

The CDC themselves reports this:

1450462313_cdcnoro.jpg.9884c9f8059b0bc4230fe0dff79c1c4d.jpg

The CDC reports cruise ships account for around 1% of all reported cases, so few they don't make it onto the chart above.

• Norovirus is the most frequent (over 90%) cause of outbreaks of diarrheal disease on cruise ships and these outbreaks often get media attention, which is why some people call norovirus the “cruise ship virus.” However, norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships account for only a small percentage (1%) of all reported norovirus outbreaks.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/outbreaks.html

You are almost twice as likely to get noro in a private residence (1.9% vs. 1%)

You are 6 times more likely to get noro at a school or daycare.

You are 22 times more likely to get noro at a land based restaurant. 

The highest number of noro outbreaks occur in health care facilities accounting for 62% of all reported cases.

In reality though on land many noro outbreaks are never reported so the odds are likely even better on cruise ships where noro outbreaks have to be reported per federal regulations.  If a local restaurant, church or high school has an outbreak there are no federal regulations requiring it to be reported to the CDC and local media might not even report it.  

That's the frustrating aspect of the pandemic.  Cruise ships get a lot of attention meanwhile the virus is spreading out of control in many places but it's much harder to determine if spread occured on a city bus or an airplane even though those are one of so many places that spread is occuring.  Meanwhile cruise ships are locked down while other spreading venues are free to carry on.