Taxes on a lift and shift

FJ28

1 hour ago, FJ28 said:

I am curious if anyone else out there has had to pay extra taxes when they chose to do a lift and shift?  I chose the exact same cruise just moved it from April 2021 till April 2022 and my travel agent told me today that there will be an extra charge for higher taxes in 2022.

Yes.  It’s not unusual. It should not be much $$$.  Just a few bucks

23 hours ago, FJ28 said:

I am curious if anyone else out there has had to pay extra taxes when they chose to do a lift and shift?  I chose the exact same cruise just moved it from April 2021 till April 2022 and my travel agent told me today that there will be an extra charge for higher taxes in 2022.

Alaska cruise in August 2021     taxes/fees = 144.08 per person ---- after the L&S to  August 2022    taxes/fees = $207..64 per person

$127 increase for 2 people --- much more than I expected.  On another L&S I did,  the taxes/fees decreased a bit.

I was originally quoted that the new taxes/fees would be approximately $250 per person but I think when a FCC was applied it must have decreased the taxes somehow. 

I was also told that once the FCC was applied, the cruise would need to be repriced to the prevailing rate if I ever wanted to take the FCC off and reapply it to a different cruise.  I didn't completely understand why that was the case.  I was surprised but I went with it anyway.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, Dad2Cue said:

Alaska cruise in August 2021     taxes/fees = 144.08 per person ---- after the L&S to  August 2022    taxes/fees = $207..64 per person

$127 increase for 2 people --- much more than I expected.  On another L&S I did,  the taxes/fees decreased a bit.

I was originally quoted that the new taxes/fees would be approximately $250 per person but I think when a FCC was applied it must have decreased the taxes somehow. 

I was also told that once the FCC was applied, the cruise would need to be repriced to the prevailing rate if I ever wanted to take the FCC off and reapply it to a different cruise.  I didn't completely understand why that was the case.  I was surprised but I went with it anyway.

Thanks for posting this. We are considering lift and shifting our May 2021 cruise to May of 2022 Symphony cruise and I wasn’t sure how that worked.

Since I did the L&S in December for my April 2021 to April 2022 I have had to call Royal 7 times!!  Little things that did not move over smoothly had to be corrected and believe me it is NOT an easy task when you have 30 people in 12 rooms!!  I have worked with the groups department myself over and over and I have mostly all good things to say with this being the exception. 

My BIGGEST issue is with the travel protection pricing!!!  Apparently Royal wants no part with this even though my last 4 calls were handled and promised that my pricing would reflect what we were paying for the 2021 cruise.  Today I have spent the better part of this afternoon on the phone with Royal and at one point was switched over to the travel insurance company AON.  They don't want to help either and told me I need to write down all my concerns and mail them a letter!!  So I have decided to cancel all the travel protection at this time (am back on the phone now with Royal groups to do this).  After having lost all our insurance from our original 2020 cruise I didn't think it could get any worse.  Now they (AON) want us to pay the insurance according to what our 2022 rooms would cost if we were just booking them which is a heck of a lot more than our 2021 prices!!  Apparently price protection doesn't matter to them!

My question....do you all purchase the travel insurance through Royal or do you buy your own??  I have used AMEX to pay for everything and was wondering if I should just ask them what my protections would be.  Any advice will be appreciated.

On another cruise forum, a TA warned of problems with L&S cruises that have had FCC applied due to RCCL changes to how FCCs can be used.  My wonderful MEI TA indicated she had checked my cruise recently but, at my request, she looked again.  Sure enough, my Harmony Cruise was listed at full price!!  She was able to call and get my price protected cost back.  I am thankful I saw the post about the problem and that I had a great TA to handle it for me.

14 hours ago, Pooch said:

On another cruise forum, a TA warned of problems with L&S cruises that have had FCC applied due to RCCL changes to how FCCs can be used.  My wonderful MEI TA indicated she had checked my cruise recently but, at my request, she looked again.  Sure enough, my Harmony Cruise was listed at full price!!  She was able to call and get my price protected cost back.  I am thankful I saw the post about the problem and that I had a great TA to handle it for me.

Thank-you so much for posting this!  I looked at my Quantum Alaska August 2021 cruise that was L&S to August 2022.  The price protection was taken off and the cruise was repriced to full price.  I was told it was outside the date range to do a L&S.  I reminded them the Royal cancelled the Quantum Alaskan cruises in 2021 so it was eligible for a L&S.  Problem corrected and they reinstated the price protection.

I just hope the FCC doesn't expire before I do the cruise in August 2022. It was originally set to expire at the end of 2021.  They let me apply it to the August 2022 cruise --- should I just assume it won't expire?  I think the expiration dates have been extended ... right???

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

Glad I could help.  It appears to have something to do with the new policy on how an FCC can be used.  Another example of IT making an unintended mess!

I'm not sure what caused the problem.  It made my cruise vacation receipt look totally different.  I liked that they itemized the FCC and all the discounts on separate lines.  It looked much better and it was understandable as compared to when they used the FCC to create a lower cruise fare. 

The problem was that the cruise fare was listed at full price.  When they corrected it, they just changed it back to the way it was originally.  Now, nothing is itemized again.

3 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

I just hope the FCC doesn't expire before I do the cruise in August 2022. It was originally set to expire at the end of 2021.  They let me apply it to the August 2022 cruise --- should I just assume it won't expire?  I think the expiration dates have been extended ... right???

If I am not mistaken, I believe FCC's were extended to cruises departing on or before September 30, 2022...as long as they are booked by April 30, 2022 so you should be good.