Bottled water how much can I bring on the cruise when I board?

emmef

When sailing with a friend March '19 on Oasis she let me know she would be bringing bottled water on board. I had never heard of this and just thought I would pay for bottled water on ship.  As with everything here on the board all of you have great tips and tricks and lots of knowledge, so what is the scoop on "bottled water"?

From the RC website

Guests may bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.

If you plan on getting a beverage package, (I always get the deluxe) bottled water is included and readily available at all of the bars, as well as other stations around the ship. Veteran cruisers recommend that each time you buy a drink from the bar, ask for a bottle of water too, and take it back to your stateroom to have an ample supply. On port days they will have places set up to get bottles of water to take with you off the ship.

1 hour ago, emmef said:

When sailing with a friend March '19 on Oasis she let me know she would be bringing bottled water on board. I had never heard of this and just thought I would pay for bottled water on ship.  As with everything here on the board all of you have great tips and tricks and lots of knowledge, so what is the scoop on "bottled water"?

Just bring a plastic water bottle. There are lots of places to refill for free or better yet buy the drink package and get all the bottled water you can drink...amongst other fine cocktails 

2 hours ago, loki007 said:

Just bring a plastic water bottle. There are lots of places to refill for free or better yet buy the drink package and get all the bottled water you can drink...amongst other fine cocktails 

Before the drink package days we'd bring refillable bottles, worked out great.

This probably doesn't need to be said, but we used the cups provided at the water stations to transfer the water to bottle. We never filled directly to be sanitary and courteous.

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

So funny, my grandmother would turn in her grave at the thought of paying for something she got out of the tap! ??

If she ever tasted yucky tap water like I have, she might change her mind. Though I am old enough to remember when people didn't buy water- just soda ( including Tab). 

On 1/21/2021 at 3:49 PM, GregD said:

FVeteran cruisers recommend that each time you buy a drink from the bar, ask for a bottle of water too, and take it back to your stateroom to have an ample supply. On port days they will have places set up to get bottles of water to take with you off the ship.

Good advice. Even for those of us who don't do the beverage package, we'll just ask the bartender to hand us a few bottles of water after signing our tab...haven't been charged yet and end up having plenty of free water to drink without a hitch. Of course, you can also bring up to 12 bottles with you on board as well.

4 hours ago, JimnKathy said:

Good advice. Even for those of us who don't do the beverage package, we'll just ask the bartender to hand us a few bottles of water after signing our tab...haven't been charged yet and end up having plenty of free water to drink without a hitch. Of course, you can also bring up to 12 bottles with you on board as well.

Do you know if that 12 bottles is per person or per stateroom?

1 hour ago, vmagestro said:

Do you know if that 12 bottles is per person or per stateroom?

The policy from the website as noted by @GregD above, is per stateroom.  

Keep in mind as well anything you carry on board needs to be carried around with you until cabins are ready.  A dozen bottles of water is manageable for a few hours.  Several dozen bottles of water dragged around for a few hours gets old very quickly particularly for the designated water dragger (person in family who ends up carrying the heavy stuff). 

We've only brought a bottle or two of my wife's favorite sangria a few times.

I have a friend in years past put non-alcoholic drinks in a duffle bag and hand it off to the porter. This was years ago, maybe 5, no idea if it'll still work. I suppose as written above, that does go against the rules. 

14 hours ago, MikeK said:

After spending 1000s on a cruise, how much can you save bringing your own water?   Spending a little extra for water isnt going to break ya.  

Michael Bayley is that you?  

The reason some of us can afford to spend 1000s on a cruise is by finding little ways to save money here and there.  Plus it's not like like they are charging $0.50 for that container of water, plus 18% gratuity.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:16 PM, AlmondFarmer said:

The only good water that comes in a can is Coors Light. 

I'd still drink soda water over Coors Light

20 hours ago, MikeK said:

After spending 1000s on a cruise, how much can you save bringing your own water?   Spending a little extra for water isnt going to break ya.  Now I can see maybe bringing your own bottle of wine.

Well, a 12 pack of water will cost about the same as 1-2 bottles of Evian/whatever is on board now, so I get it from that perspective. Plus the money you save from not buying water on board can go towards buying alcoholic beverages. ?

I've been kicking around whether or not to jump in on this....then I said to myself "Why not?"

We have decided that we want to cruise multiple times a year.  To be able to do so, we have cruise as inexpensively as possible.  If we didn't, we'd be hard-pressed to do one cruise a year.

We stopped drinking alcohol 15 years ago and are very content with the complementary dining choices onboard so no money spent there.  Other than something like when I forgot my hat at home and needed to buy one onboard, we can end a cruise having spent nothing else above the cost we paid when we booked (other than cash tips for crewmembers we interact with).

We experimented with bringing water onboard to save money.  It did save us money, but is a royal pita to carry around for a few hours.  Now, we each bring a stainless water bottle and fill it up.....most of the time we fill it from the sink in our room.  We also each bring a small travel coffee cup for carrying coffee around with us.

Cheap/thrifty/fugal/tight/whatever.  It works for us, and that's all that matters to us.

For me, having the water bottles in the cabin is more of a convenience thing. The lukewarm tap water in the room is gross. I'm a drinker and battle hangovers regularly onboard so having a few cold bottles in the fridge is a necessity. I hate the idea of going from bar to bar asking for bottles of water to carry back to the cabin two at a time to try to stock up and that bottled water isn't the best either.   

On 1/24/2021 at 7:12 AM, twangster said:

Michael Bayley is that you?  

The reason some of us can afford to spend 1000s on a cruise is by finding little ways to save money here and there.  Plus it's not like like they are charging $0.50 for that container of water, plus 18% gratuity.

Well put!  I agree.   I should never had said those things.  I apologize to anyone that may have hurt.

13 minutes ago, MikeK said:

Well put!  I agree.   I should never had said those things.  I apologize to anyone that may have hurt.

Hardly hurt, and I was joking around. 

Personally I drink ship water.  I always fly with a refillable water bottle to fill up once through security so I have one with me anyways.    For me it's one less thing to worry about.  Plus my carry on is usually crammed with camera gear so the thought of dragging water on board isn't that appealing.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, emmef said:

If she ever tasted yucky tap water like I have, she might change her mind. Though I am old enough to remember when people didn't buy water- just soda ( including Tab). 

The original Tab was my favorite soda, even as a kid.

Oh how I miss that saccharine aftertaste!

@HeWhoWaits My mom was a Tab drinker back in the day. I was more of a Dr. Pepper person.  Honestly though, I gave up drinking soda more than 25 years ago, so water is pretty important to me. We have a reverse osmosis filter at our house that puts most water elsewhere tasting awful, but the cruise won't allow me to fill 12 bottles with my own RO water and bring it on board, so I have to compromise with a couple of bottles of spring water and a refillable bottle.

• 11 months later...

Just want to say thanks for getting the Tab jingle stuck in my head!

Tab Cola what a beautiful drink! Tab for beautiful people! Tab, you’re beautiful to me! 16 ounces and just one calorie! Tab it’s so darn good, and sugar free!

Can’t remember where I put my phone or keys most days, but that song comes right back 🤪

6 hours ago, lmarslinda said:

Can you bring more than 12 bottles of water? I have medical reasons. 

Tell them you have medical or other special needs, and they will provide you with unlimited gallon jugs of distilled water in your room.

Many of us on CPAP's need distilled water, and it's a non-issue.

7 hours ago, lmarslinda said:

Can you bring more than 12 bottles of water? I have medical reasons. 

I cannot answer that but I will say this......I have yet to see anyone at the scanner when boarding who asks," Is this your luggage, it has water/wine, what stateroom are you in?"  So if you are 2 in a cabin I imagine it can't hurt to try. The scanner people are more concerned with what's in the luggage, not who you are with.  Also I see a lot of people who don't like to lug it around.  If you have a bag with wheels bring it. Or figure out a way to secure the water to the top of a small luggage with wheels if there is no room inside that luggage.