CDC Rules for Cruising

jaullram

Based on what I had read about the CDC order, I had assumed that all cruises over 7 nights through late fall would be shortened or cancelled.  In reading the CDC order again, it says 7 days (not 7 nights).  So, does that mean any cruises over 6 nights will be shortened too (or potentially cancelled)?  I know no one really knows but just curious how others interpreted the order.

9 minutes ago, jaullram said:

Based on what I had read about the CDC order, I had assumed that all cruises over 7 nights through late fall would be shortened or cancelled.  In reading the CDC order again, it says 7 days (not 7 nights).  So, does that mean any cruises over 6 nights will be shortened too (or potentially cancelled)?  I know no one really knows but just curious how others interpreted the order.

CDC doesn't get it....it's 7 nights.

One could argue that  a 7 night cruise is only 6 full days (departure day is only partial, return "day" ends before mid-morning so definitely doesn't count as a day). Or define the 7 days as 7 24 hour periods, in which case a cruise that boards at noon Saturday and discharges all passengers by 9:00 a.m. the following Saturday has not exceeded 7 days.

Up to this point the CDC's only involvement with cruising was the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP).  This just goes to show how they don't know the industry very well.  

More importantly (if you want to dwell on details) is the requirement to have a valid Certificate of Inspection (COI) issued by the USCG to apply for a certificate to sail.  Technically only US flagged ships can get a COI, foreign flagged ships cannot.

I'm sure the intent of the CDC wasn't to prevent foreign flagged ships from qualifying, it's just another example how the CDC doesn't understand cruise ship operational details.

10 hours ago, jaullram said:

It would be 7 nights.  Otherwise they would not even be listed to make a reservation.