Do you use a travel agent or book directly through RCL?

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

I booked through the RCCI website a few weeks ago and I have decided to transfer our booking to a travel agent. She didn't offer me the moon, a small OBC for a thank you for giving her our booking. But what prompted me to do so was reading reviews on places like cruise critic.

We are sailing out of Galveston on the Navigator of the Seas. And while reading reviews of the ship I found some that were talking about boarding being delayed due to fog and also cruise cancellations due to an oil spill near the port. These are rare occurrences, and the likelihood of something like that happening is small, but if something like that happens to us it would be nice to have some help. On this trip or one in the future. We are going to be working with Michelle Cunningham of MEI travel.

[email protected]

I booked through the RCCI website a few weeks ago and I have decided to transfer our booking to a travel agent. She didn't offer me the moon, a small OBC for a thank you for giving her our booking. But what prompted me to do so was reading reviews on places like cruise critic.

We are sailing out of Galveston on the Navigator of the Seas. And while reading reviews of the ship I found some that were talking about boarding being delayed due to fog and also cruise cancellations due to an oil spill near the port. These are rare occurrences, and the likelihood of something like that happening is small, but if something like that happens to us it would be nice to have some help. On this trip or one in the future. We are going to be working with Michelle Cunningham of MEI travel.

[email protected]

Thank you for using the TA sponsor of this site!

I have already made most of my arrangements through Royal Caribbean.  The online process has been pretty easy and I have been calling the 800 numbers when I have questions.  Reading these posts, I may reconsider in the future.  My apparently misguided assumption was that going through a travel agent was have additional "agent" fees.

If I am only three weeks away from the cruse date, is there still any benefit to switching to a travel agent?

Greg

I have already made most of my arrangements through Royal Caribbean.  The online process has been pretty easy and I have been calling the 800 numbers when I have questions.  Reading these posts, I may reconsider in the future.  My apparently misguided assumption was that going through a travel agent was have additional "agent" fees.

If I am only three weeks away from the cruse date, is there still any benefit to switching to a travel agent?

Greg

Not sure if you can transfer the reservation now that you're so close to your cruise and final payment has been made.

Any good travel agent should be a fee-free agency, where the cruise line pays them and not you.  A good TA will give you additional services, support and advice (and maybe some booking incentives too).