Do you use a travel agent or book directly through RCL?

Julie

I book with a TA.  I'd rather not waste my time on the phone with Royal Caribbean to get things changed (big or small).  I've done it in the past and I'd rather focus on other things and let someone else do that work for me.

I will say it's important to use a good TA.  They aren't all the same but I've been happy using one.

I have booked my cruises through Travel websites and Royal Caribbean. I look for good deals. The deals that come with onboard credits. I have never booked a vacation with a TA, Can you get better deals, or it is just less hassle?

TAs offer two things that I feel you can't get with booking directly: less hassle of you having to do the legwork and booking incentives.  Incentives namely come in the form of onboard credit, a gift (wine/champagne, food) and/or free specialty restaurant meals.

Remember, Royal Caribbean pays the TAs, not you.  So cost is the same to you, so you only have to gain.

I use a TA as well. She is a close personal friend, and I like doing business and sharing my business with people in my home town. Obviously if you book directly with Royal Caribbean you're giving them the commission you would otherwise be giving to your travel agent.

Like Matt said, I also use a TA because they take care of everything for me. I don't have to call Royal Caribbean, or any of that other stuff. My TA takes care of that, and her agency give me nice perks for coming back as a return customer, i.e. onboard credit, specialty dining certificates, free hotel nights. 

TAs offer two things that I feel you can't get with booking directly: less hassle of you having to do the legwork and booking incentives.  Incentives namely come in the form of onboard credit, a gift (wine/champagne, food) and/or free specialty restaurant meals.

Remember, Royal Caribbean pays the TAs, not you.  So cost is the same to you, so you only have to gain.

We booked through a travel agent and the last cruise was with ORBITZ.  We paid a "booking fee" through both.  We were told no one can "undercut" what the cruise line charges . . . so . . .I made sure the info I was given was true . . . it was.  As Matt said, most incentives come in the form of onboard credit . . . 

We booked through a travel agent and the last cruise was with ORBITZ.  We paid a "booking fee" through both.  We were told no one can "undercut" what the cruise line charges . . . so . . .I made sure the info I was given was true . . . it was.  As Matt said, most incentives come in the form of onboard credit . . . 

Orbitz isn't really what I'd consider a TA.  I know they are technically ones but they fall under a different category.  At any rate, you should not have to pay any booking fee to use a TA.  Ever.

Orbitz isn't really what I'd consider a TA.  I know they are technically ones but they fall under a different category.  At any rate, you should not have to pay any booking fee to use a TA.  Ever.

but I got a GREAT upgrade . . .lol . . .and I loved my cruise . . .but, (note to self) . . . . don't EVER pay another booking fee. . . . Matt said so!

The first few cruises I used a TA then didn't cruise for nearly a decade.  By then I just began booking everything online directly with the cruise line.

Last year I noticed the price had dropped and after a short phone call to RCI they adjusted my price.   I personally don't see the difference between me having to call RCI directly versus having to call the TA for something like that.

I would love to find a good TA that offers incentives (OBC) but my searches locally have been fruitless and I'm wary of some of the online claims people make.

On one of my recent attempts at trying a brick and mortar TA, i explained to the lady what I wanted and she wrote it all down then picked up the phone and called RCI while I sat there.    

I personally like the convenience of being able to set it up all myself 24 hours a day, but wish RCI would offer me some OBC since they aren't paying anyone a commission.

My criteria for a good TA are as follows

• Knowledgeable about Royal Caribbean and the ships. Doesn't need to know more than me, but should be familiar with the lingo, ship classes and popular itineraries
  • Willing to call Royal Caribbean with any and all inquiries I have about new possible discounts I find
  • After booking, actively checks a few times per week (at least) for price changes in what I booked to see if I can save more money
  • Willing to fight with Royal Caribbean if I find another TA/web site offering better booking incentives. 

• 1 month later...

New to RCCL and these boards (thanks in advance for all the advice)...but wondering, I've already booked my March 2014 cruise, but then if I transfer the booking to a TA, would I still get the OBC's offered? Seems to me that would be a big incentive!

Welcome!  You should ask the TA if they can help.  Often what may be required is to cancel the existing reservation and then re-booking.  However, they may have a way to get around that.  But I'd get confirmation about transferring the reservation to them first.

• 1 year later...

I always use a TA, the same one I have been using for years.  They are a regular brick and mortar shop nearby.  Even though I do most of the research and legwork I like to support a local business. I also can make changes to cabins or price adjustments with a quick email instead of a phone call to a customer service rep at RC.

A couple years back we were booked on the Jewel when someone on our roll call thread noticed a great price on Grand Suites.  I called my TA who quoted a MUCH higher price going through the TA portal.  When she went through the standard web interface she saw the lower price.  She set about checking on it and called 45 minutes later to say she had gotten us the lower price.  When I checked back on the roll call thread another person who had tried to get the reduced price was told it was for new booking only ( a standard RC practice for last minute deals).  Needless to say my TA really came through for me there.

I book everything on my own. I find that I know more about the deals/prices/details from my own research than the TA's do. I have booked directly with RCI, but have booked with 3rd party sites as well when they had promotions or incentives and have had no issues so far!

Before the internet, i could see the value of a TA. Now, i really dont. Maybe I just have'nt been lucky enough to get a better deal cause I used a TA, or had a need to make major changes or had a problem while on vacation and needed a TA.

I book everything on my own. I find that I know more about the deals/prices/details from my own research than the TA's do. I have booked directly with RCI, but have booked with 3rd party sites as well when they had promotions or incentives and have had no issues so far!

Before the internet, i could see the value of a TA. Now, i really dont. Maybe I just have'nt been lucky enough to get a better deal cause I used a TA, or had a need to make major changes or had a problem while on vacation and needed a TA.

Agree - used agent 1st time in 15 years last year. No better deal & less perks than I could get on own for cruise, cost me +/- $1000 on air to Mediterranean ( didn't book when I told them about great low fare) , & Had to tell them what NYC hotel ratemshould be when they where asking me to book higher price. Spent more time making sure they did their job than would have taken if I did my own booking. Fired them after the air disaster & took them off cruise booking. No value added -- too easy to do it yourself!

It seems that the argument regarding using a TA or not largely depends on the experience one has had with their TA. While I receive little value in terms of perks or price, I like the fact that my TA will go to bat for me, saving me time since I don't have to do it myself. And when RCI had to rebook my cruise to provide me with a lower rate, my TA offered to rebook our excursions on her time so that I wouldn't have to do it.

Of course, when things go wrong, a TA can be invaluable. I once booked a family vacation over a weekend that I was suppose to be speaking at a conference. When I went to rebook, the TA was able to make the changes to our reservations and minimized any fees and penalties. We were even able to get the airfare change without a fee and ended up saving almost $800 in the end.

There are times when I don't use a TA as I do like having direct control; however, I'm finding that having one is invaluable as my life continues to get busier and busier.

Want to weigh in a bit, but since I'm an agent won't go crazy!

Our Office does not have fees, never have never will- but many agencies do charge them, brick and mortar, cause they have to pay the light bills I guess....
I always give OBC or gift cards if someone transfers their booking to me, the catch is transfers have to be within 30 days of deposit (RCI rules)

I do look for better prices with RCI directly, and do adjust if the come out, if you qualify for them
We as agents spend countless hours on the phone not just about prices, but if you have a bad situation being your advocate. Very valuable
Some online sites are good - some not- just be diligent

As an agent, I want to be your agent for years to come and for many kinds of trips.  Maybe you love RCI and sail alot - but then want to go to 
somewhere new,  and don't want to research it- That is where a good agent is valuable. Hopefully, they can tell you tips, or do the research for you,
or just again make suggestions - that is the goal at least.  I've met some bad agents over the years too, just like bad websites.
The internet is a research engine, its not an agent and it has not hurt my business at all!

I love my job....

The whole decision seems to revolve around "value" and, for some, control.  How does one define value?  To some it is the lowest price, to others it is perks (and the lowest price), and to others it is simplicity and time savings.  Of course there is also the contingent that like to have everything in their control. Should you use a travel agent, only you can decide I guess. 

Are there bad TA's? Sure, but like anything else, don't condemn an entire industry based on the incompetence of a few.

My personal take is, thanks to RC's pricing policy, I am not going to get a better price either way.  Can I spend hours searching around and possibly get a little OBC, a free excursion or another perk?  Yes, but my time is more valuable than that.  I also think that from a societal aspect it pays to help support a local business.

As I stated previously, my TA has come through for me in the past and saves me time every time there is a price drop or I make some other kind of change.  To me that is enough to give her my business.

I agree with both WhiteSoxFan and Michelle.

For several years, we stopped using TAs because of some less than stellar recommendations and poor service. However, when you find a good one, they're invaluable especially as they come to know your likes, dislikes, etc. For example, we were interested in a European land/bus tour. After doing it herself, our TA recommended against it knowing that it would not provide the experience we were looking for.

Am I sometimes frustrated having to hand control over to someone else? Of course, but in the end the time savings are worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Off topic - but looking at your signature, it would appear that you really like Enchantment of the Seas! 3 times in one year? I'm jealous!

Yes, I was very lucky this year to say the least.....especially considering how far I have to travel to get there and the cost.

I love the boat, I like the itenary, prices are usually good...and the crew is alot of fun. Not to mention the people I meet on board.

I am a little worried that my next cruise maynot be as enjoyable on the Brillance of the Seas to Cozumel, but going with an open mind!

Yes, I was very lucky this year to say the least.....especially considering how far I have to travel to get there and the cost.

I love the boat, I like the itenary, prices are usually good...and the crew is alot of fun. Not to mention the people I meet on board.

I am a little worried that my next cruise maynot be as enjoyable on the Brillance of the Seas to Cozumel, but going with an open mind!

I hope you find Brilliance as enjoyable as Enchantment

I booked my Southern Caribbean cruise online through RCCL today then called them to answer some questions.  The rep answered our questions, including having to research a couple with other departments.  I don't think a TA would have done any better or any faster.  I did purchase airfare on my own for less money.  Also, my wife and I are going down to San Juan a couple of days early and I made hotel reservations on my own at a considerable savings over the RCCL approved hotels.

All is good so far!

Greg

Keep in mind that some of the reps. have a reputation for giving inaccurate advice. I'm not saying this is the case, just a warning from experiences I've read on other sites. And while you may get a faster response, there's a greater likelihood that at. T.A. has been on the ship than a phone rep.

I booked my Southern Caribbean cruise online through RCCL today then called them to answer some questions.  The rep answered our questions, including having to research a couple with other departments.  I don't think a TA would have done any better or any faster.  I did purchase airfare on my own for less money.  Also, my wife and I are going down to San Juan a couple of days early and I made hotel reservations on my own at a considerable savings over the RCCL approved hotels.

All is good so far!

Greg

As DocLC said, RC is notorious for their CS reps give out incorrect information, not a lot necessarily, but enough that it is a common topic on message boards.  This and other cruising forums are great places to get answers on most any questions you have.

I booked to go on Allure last week for one week in September.I went to my usual travel who we have been using for 15 years.she first phoned Royal for us to get a price from them I couldn't believe how much they wanted.For a week with just flights which they couldn't say if they were direct or indirect.They wanted for 3 of us in a junior suite deck 8 midship 7 grand.We said thankyou but no thankyou.My agent phoned someone else and got a great price.A 4* hotel pre cruise plus one night post cruise.Direct flights all transfers included and gratuities deck 8 midship junior suite for just over 4 grand.We didn't take the all inclusive as we didn't need the drinks package.I couldn't believe how much cheaper we got the cruise for.

I booked to go on Allure last week for one week in September.I went to my usual travel who we have been using for 15 years.she first phoned Royal for us to get a price from them I couldn't believe how much they wanted.For a week with just flights which they couldn't say if they were direct or indirect.They wanted for 3 of us in a junior suite deck 8 midship 7 grand.We said thankyou but no thankyou.My agent phoned someone else and got a great price.A 4* hotel pre cruise plus one night post cruise.Direct flights all transfers included and gratuities deck 8 midship junior suite for just over 4 grand.We didn't take the all inclusive as we didn't need the drinks package.I couldn't believe how much cheaper we got the cruise for.

Wow... I'm new to shopping for cruises, who gave that package?

Wow... I'm new to shopping for cruises, who gave that package?

Mark,

I'd recommend listening to last week's podcast that Matt did. Also, for the most part, all cruise lines now require agents to sell cruises at the same prices that they offer. This means that the price for the cruise is essentially the same regardless of where you buy it. However, some agency book group space and can get a better price as a result. For example, perhaps a family is having a huge reunion onboard, so the TA has received a special rate for the large group. Even though you're not part of the reunion, the TA can still book you at that rate if they have it. Likewise, TAs also will look for all the discounts available which the call center people at RCI don't always do. For instance, I saved several hundred dollars earlier this year because of a residency sale for the state I live in.

While your price likely won't vary much except as noted above, agents can throw in perks to sweeten the deal like insurance, prepaid gratuities, onboard credit, etc.

Maybe beating a dead horse- but when you have agent throwing in BIG perks like OBC, tips, insurance

etc - be careful- if you do not use your OWN credit card to pay for insurance, it negates some policies

since it was not YOUR card paying for it -    AND other perks come directly out of agents own pockets

and commissions-    so while it may be a huge perk for you - the agent ends up with making nothing

would you all work for nothing?   please Just keep that in mind -

All of you can spend time and effort finding the best deal, I think its more what you want out of

the whole experience - a relationship with someone that always books your trip - or a less costly trip

all the time and you doing all the work for.  

I love my job that is all I can say.  Cheers

Good points, Michelle.

The TA I use doesn't offer any perks unless the agency has a promotion with the cruise line.  We often get a small gift once onboard (e.g., $25 OBC, photo, or bottle of wine) as a thank you, but nothing big or upfront nor expected.  While I know I can get better deals out there, I'm loyal to myth tried and true TA as she makes time for me and doesn't charge a fee to rebook if prices drop.

I looked into a warehouse club agency once because of an add and past experience with them on a land trip. However, when I asked about price drops, they informed me that there'd be a $75 change fee each time.  In addition, I could never speak to the same person and often had to wait 20 minutes on hold each time.

My take on this was that he purchased a cruise on a different line, not RC.  No doubt this would be an expensive cruise, Allure is in the Mediteranian in September.

Good points, Michelle.

The TA I use doesn't offer any perks unless the agency has a promotion with the cruise line.  We often get a small gift once onboard (e.g., $25 OBC, photo, or bottle of wine) as a thank you, but nothing big or upfront nor expected.  While I know I can get better deals out there, I'm loyal to myth tried and true TA as she makes time for me and doesn't charge a fee to rebook if prices drop.

I looked into a warehouse club agency once because of an add and past experience with them on a land trip. However, when I asked about price drops, they informed me that there'd be a $75 change fee each time.  In addition, I could never speak to the same person and often had to wait 20 minutes on hold each time.

This is exactly the same sentiment I have.  I called a warehouse club once and was told they do not hold cabins, you must pay the deposit then and there. That is another advantage to my TA, I get a hold longer than the 24 hours RC gives you (and certainly infinitely langer than the warehouse club :) )