CDC will require Covid-19 test for all international flights to the US ... UGH!!!!

I see that there is now a brand new requirement (announced yesterday) that international travellers need to quarantine for 10 days

I looked around and couldn't find any concrete info as to how exactly that will be followed through. e.g. New Zealand requires you to pay upfront and they will quarantine you in a hotel of their choice for 14 days. I'm just not sure yet how the USA 10 day quarantine will work, whether it's enforced by law somehow or they simply ask you nicely... Unfortunately, if the 10 day quarantine is enforced (even with negative Covid tests) we will need to cancel/postpone our trip in September. 

12 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Had Jamaica booked for March Spring break but change to San Juan today as it is considered a domestic flight so you do not have to test to fly home from SJU to US.   So it was the Cruise lines first, now it's the Caribbean islands the CDC is screwing!  

Not only Caribbean islands but ALL countries. 

On 1/21/2021 at 7:12 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I read online that soon we will have COVID testing vending machines where you can purchase testing kits.  I do not know what type they will be...it's just a "plan" at this point.  I guess, if they would accept those results, you could purchase some of those and take with you to use.  I dunno.  I just read it somewhere.  Probably just nonsense.

Available at Costco - think $146

6 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Unfortunately the CDC will not accept these "do it yourself" tests

According to their website, they may as long as the results are run by a lab.   It's not 100% clear, but it seems possibly they may qualify.

"Does an at home test qualify?

The Order requires a lab report to be presented to the airline or to public health officials upon request. A home specimen collection kit that is tested in a laboratory should meet the requirements, if such methods have been approved by the country’s national health authorities."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

31 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

According to their website, they may as long as the results are run by a lab.   It's not 100% clear, but it seems possibly they may qualify.

"Does an at home test qualify?

The Order requires a lab report to be presented to the airline or to public health officials upon request. A home specimen collection kit that is tested in a laboratory should meet the requirements, if such methods have been approved by the country’s national health authorities."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

This is a big turn around from their previous orders, and is very concerning.  At home testing, with no verifiable chain of custody, is considered unacceptable in the American medical community.  Should be interesting

36 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

This is a big turn around from their previous orders, and is very concerning.  At home testing, with no verifiable chain of custody, is considered unacceptable in the American medical community.  Should be interesting

I do them at home frequently (they are provided by the State of MN free of charge - must have a drivers license (scanned) - only the person who ordered the test can use the test they send you (verified via bar code several steps along the way) and under Zoom supervision (you must spit in front of the supervisor, bar code must match, you must match your photo ID, the vial has to be closed in front of them and they will watch you put it in the mailing envelope and seal it).  

38 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Which, if instituted, means more of MY money (in the form of federal spending of tax dollars) will end up bailing out the airlines.

I think its deliberate to actuallyreduce air travel for reasons other than minimizing spread.   Adding requirements is a way to decrease passenger loading and force reduction in airline fleets and their operations.  They're going to be highly regulated - so expect a contraction in that industry too.   

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Or perhaps we are doing what should have been done a long time ago.  Instead of just banning cruise ships from sailing, think how much less spread would have occurred if air travel had been restricted sooner?

Early on yes - but the airlines are well versed in fly safe protocols that have not demonstrated any spreader events , so don't see the point at this time.

7 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Early on yes - but the airlines are well versed in fly safe protocols that have not demonstrated any spreader events , so don't see the point at this time.

But its not just the travel on the planes its what the traveller does and where they go when they get there. Freedom of movement is the number one method of spread in the community.

18 hours ago, bretts173 said:

But its not just the travel on the planes its what the traveller does and where they go when they get there. Freedom of movement is the number one method of spread in the community.

Amazing that C19 tests are not being discussed for domestic rail or bus.   Lots of folks use public transportation - is that not an issue too?  If you're going to restrict domestic air, gotta go back and get the other mass transit methods.