CDC will require Covid-19 test for all international flights to the US ... UGH!!!!

Canada now has the same requirement as of January 7th for anyone 5 years of age or older.

Of course...there are countries where flights originate on a 'temporary exception list' where a test result is not required to board the plane...primarily because these countries do not have the capacity to test and provide results within 72 hours. Alas...flights have arrived from these countries where the entire flight - all rows - has been identified as potentially exposed to C19.

Even with a negative test a 14 day quarantine on return is required.

my understanding is that any flight into US from any other country would require a negative test.  So Europe included.  But not sure about PR.  I assume PR would also be included.

My question is........If you have had the vaccine (that I have already rec'd) matter?  Mainly to be excluded from getting a negative Covid test?   Any thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Ray said:

My first thoughts also, but not just across the pond! What about PR? I know its a US Territory however im sure they have had these measures in place for a period of time which would suggest they are doing their own thing. 

PR has had the requirement for a while. We "were" scheduled on a cruise out of PR and that was on the entry to the country requirement list.

3 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

And the REAL question is, how does this apply to those who go over the pond for a cruise of 7, 10, 14 days and then have to fly back?? It is NOT clear what the requirements are for a return flight from a cruise will be. Will all cruise lines have covid test available for return flight requirements ??

For passengers who live outside of the U.S. they should be able to get a COVID test and their results within the CDC's time frame.  Now after the cruise when passengers are on their way home there are some airports like MIA, LAX, SFO, and others that are rolling out the rapid antigen test for a fee of course, there are also certain airlines here in the US offering rapid test at certain airports as well.  Hopefully as we move deeper into 2021 and get closer to the resumption of cruising more airports across this country will offer a rapid antigen test to anyone who needs a test. 

Personally I don't see cruising resuming here in US until June or July at the earliest so by then (fingers crossed) it will be a lot more easier for all travelers to access a COVID test.

This put a bit of a kink in my upcoming plans for my land trip to Aruba. 

Aruba has required a negative test to enter the country since at least October so that was expected.  Aruba actually requires the PCR test and won't accept the antigen test, so there's a little more leg work to make sure you get the right test done before flying there.

This new US restrictions were just announced on Jan 12 with a Jan 26 effective date, I believe.   That's only a two weeks heads up.   Fortunately Aruba was on the ball and they updated their visitor's informational website where you can go to get the testing required to get on a flight back to the US.  None of the options for tests are the rapid test, so they all have to be done at least 48 hours before your flight to ensure the results will be available in time.

Fortunately it looks like the US accepts the the rapid antigen tests, so hopefully it would be a bit easier to get quick test results and not have to plan on staying an extra two days in the disembarkation port while you wait for test results to be able to get on the plane.  

6 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Fortunately it looks like the US accepts the the rapid antigen tests, so hopefully it would be a bit easier to get quick test results and not have to plan on staying an extra two days in the disembarkation port while you wait for test results to be able to get on the plane.  

Obviously you would need to have a back up plan just in case test was positive and you need to stay an extra week or so in isolation. 

15 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

I get it, but would the cruise lines sailing overseas offer the tests on-board prior to disembarkation, or will the traveler have to find a test after disembarkation?   Thinking this will greatly reduce US tourist flow returning non-US territories.  Most won't want to deal with the hassle.

This is the million dollar question that we are all waiting to see how it's going to be addressed.

15 hours ago, Linda R said:

My question is........If you have had the vaccine (that I have already rec'd) matter?  Mainly to be excluded from getting a negative Covid test?   Any thoughts?

Yes. You'll still need to provide a negative test.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine?  Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19?

Yes, all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery.

5 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I get it, but would the cruise lines sailing overseas offer the tests on-board prior to disembarkation, or will the traveler have to find a test after disembarkation?   Thinking this will greatly reduce US tourist flow returning non-US territories.  Most won't want to deal with the hassle.

I don't think it is a hassle what it all comes down to is tourist will need to do their homework before planning a trip abroad.  In my opinion the ownness falls on the tourist to have a plan in place prior to traveling.  If people have a plan in place it is less of a hassle, for those who don't plan they yes they are running around at the last minute trying figure out where can I get a test. Testing, testing, testing, is the how we reopen travel and tourism in 2021 until the vaccines and data from the vaccines are more widely available.  Anyone planning a spring break land trip, or a summer/fall land trip or possible cruise should be doing their homework now, because they will need a negative COVID test.  Traveling in the age of COVID does not have to be a hassle as long as you know what to expect and are prepared.  

5 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

The article doesn't mention vaccination one way or the other.  I hope that will be amended soon since the vaccinations are starting now.  My Mother (90 yrs old) got her 1st one Monday and she already has an appointment for her 2nd one.  I'm in the over 60 group; however, I have no idea when that age group gets theirs.  Fingers crossed!

57 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

The article doesn't mention vaccination one way or the other.  I hope that will be amended soon since the vaccinations are starting now.  My Mother (90 yrs old) got her 1st one Monday and she already has an appointment for her 2nd one.  I'm in the over 60 group; however, I have no idea when that age group gets theirs.  Fingers crossed!

The order very clearly states that you must provide a negative test result REGARDLESS of vaccine status.

7 hours ago, whitsmom said:

6 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

The order very clearly states that you must provide a negative test result REGARDLESS of vaccine status.

It's the last question in the Frequently Asked Questions section.

What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine?  Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19?

Yes, all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery.

16 hours ago, emmef said:

Aren't the guests on Quantum in Singapore taking a COVID test one to two days before they disembark or something similar?  Couldn't those results be used for a flight home?

I think the Singapore cruises only allows Singapore guests on ship.  No one from US.  So, that won't work.  But things could change.

10 hours ago, whitsmom said:

I quoted directly. As did @RWDW1204. It's not an article but CDC FAQ.

I hope your mom doesn't have any side effects from shot two, or you. 

Best of luck and fingers crossed.

6 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I quoted directly. As did @RWDW1204. It's not an article but CDC FAQ.

I hope your mom doesn't have any side effects from shot two, or you. 

Best of luck and fingers crossed.

I was talking about the article as I didn't read the FAQ yet.  My mother had no issues except for being sore at the injection site (the needle was a longer one that normal) for a day.  The vaccine goes into the muscle is why the needle was longer is what we were told.

So here is a question:  we have a New England/Canada cruise for October 2021 and I have out flights booked already.  We are to fly home the afternoon that we disembark, so how would I get tested before unless the airport has rapid testing?  Looks like another layer of planning now....

I read online that soon we will have COVID testing vending machines where you can purchase testing kits.  I do not know what type they will be...it's just a "plan" at this point.  I guess, if they would accept those results, you could purchase some of those and take with you to use.  I dunno.  I just read it somewhere.  Probably just nonsense.

16 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

COVID testing vending machines

Oh wait!!! Don't tell me that RCG or any cruise lines will put one of these. I wonder where they will put it?? WIndjammer? Guest Services? NextCruise??

covid-vending-machine

Is it me or does it sorta give that "throwback" feeling of these from the 50's?? Hope you know what it is.  ?

image.png.996db78c9f03426779711fcd1f985a3e.png

This is why I booked Grandeur out of Barbados as refundable ?

My plan was to avoid international travel and cruise domestically (when ever that might start).  I was hoping the summer of 2022 would be normal enough for flights to Europe but now I'm wondering if I need to push Europe cruising to 2023 or 2024.  Time will tell.  

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Which Grandeur sailing are you on ?

Dec. 5, 2021 but if the CDC testing requirement remains in place for all international arrivals approaching final payment I'm going to cancel.  The thought of debarking the ship and then having to run around Bridgetown with luggage trying to find an instant test doesn't attract me.  Quick tests are not known for accuracy so a false positive would be a disaster.  I also don't want to add an open ended hotel stay on the end of the cruise waiting for a test result that could take who knows how long in Barbados so I can fly home.

I booked Grandeur on a whim during a brief moment of forgetting we are in the midst of a pandemic and 2021 cruising will not be normal.  It is exactly these types of decisions that a government could put in place with a day or two notice that led me to cancel all my international travel in the first place.  

The more I think about it the more I desire to be on a ship departing closer to home in December.  What was I thinking booking Grandeur?  ? 

1 hour ago, whitsmom said:

So here is a question:  we have a New England/Canada cruise for October 2021 and I have out flights booked already.  We are to fly home the afternoon that we disembark, so how would I get tested before unless the airport has rapid testing?  Looks like another layer of planning now....

I hate to say it, but I am pretty sure you will not have to worry about that.  I would be shocked if Canada allowed in cruise ships this year.

43 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I hate to say it, but I am pretty sure you will not have to worry about that.  I would be shocked if Canada allowed in cruise ships this year.

Well, I have already said it to myself too!  I'm hoping for the best but I am not holding my breath either.  At least we are going to Orange Beach in July with family so we have that to look forward to. 

2 hours ago, whitsmom said:

As of now, Boston Logan airport has COVID testing on site (3 types, including rapid).

3 hours ago, whitsmom said:

I was talking about the article as I didn't read the FAQ yet.  My mother had no issues except for being sore at the injection site (the needle was a longer one that normal) for a day.  The vaccine goes into the muscle is why the needle was longer is what we were told.

Glad she's doing well. You were told correctly, my wife is a Nurse and just took a course on how to administer the vaccine, she'll be doing it part-time if our local Ambulance Squad is approved to receive doses. 

That is the million dollar question. If a test isn't available until after you disembark ... yikes ... a 7 day vacation just turned into a 10 at least.

3 hours ago, whitsmom said:

https://www.afar.com/magazine/these-us-airports-to-have-covid-19-testing

I found a link for the airports that have testing available.  We will fly out of Newark after our cruise and they have testing; however, the rapid is $200 ?

If you are flying out of Newark, the CDC testing requirement does not apply to you, as this would not be an international flight.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, whitsmom said:

The vaccination doesn't prevent you from carrying the virus and being potentially contagious to others... Thats why they require the other test...